Handicap Allowance Texas Scramble

Ridgeman

Visit site
Is anyone able to explain why its 10% of the total of the four players handicaps? Each scramble is won by the same group of players where I play. All four have low to plus handicaps and would appear to have a large advantage because of it. My understanding of handicapping is that is allows everyone to play on an equal basis. Therefore the person who plays best compared to their handicap wins. That does not appear to be the case with scrambles. The low handicap group wins each time. I did look at recent results on how did I do and if the rate moved from 10 to 20% then its a whole different result.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This changes with the WHS so do not worry about it now.

Scramble (4 players) 25%/20%/15%/10% from lowest to highest handicap
Scramble (3 players) 30%/20%/10% from lowest to highest handicap
Scramble (2 players) 35% Low / 15% High

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is anyone able to explain why its 10% of the total of the four players handicaps? Each scramble is won by the same group of players where I play. All four have low to plus handicaps and would appear to have a large advantage because of it. My understanding of handicapping is that is allows everyone to play on an equal basis. Therefore the person who plays best compared to their handicap wins. That does not appear to be the case with scrambles. The low handicap group wins each time. I did look at recent results on how did I do and if the rate moved from 10 to 20% then its a whole different result.
There have never been any rules previously about scramble handicapping. 10% has been a fairly common convention but certainly not the only method.
All of a sudden the USGA and R&A have come up with a recommendation (not a rule). I assume they have some stats to back it up.
See the post above.

Mozza14

Visit site
I like the Florida format of Scramble. The player whose ball is selected drops out of the next shot on a hole. Also having a prescribed minimum number of tee shots selected makes it both interesting and less dominant to the low handicappers.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the Florida format of Scramble. The player whose ball is selected drops out of the next shot on a hole. Also having a prescribed minimum number of tee shots selected makes it both interesting and less dominant to the low handicappers.

Fast way to ruin the format for me, if I hit a good drive I want to hit the next shot too! Also causes arguments over which to take when more than 1 in the fairway

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
This changes with the WHS so do not worry about it now.

Scramble (4 players) 25%/20%/15%/10% from lowest to highest handicap
Scramble (3 players) 30%/20%/10% from lowest to highest handicap
Scramble (2 players) 5% Low / 15% High

Where did you get the allowances for a 3 ball scramble?

The handicapping rule book only shows 2 and 4 ball scrambles.

BTW you have a typo for a 2 ball....it is 35% of the low guy...not 5% :)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Whilst other replies give you the new scramble allowances, I would just comment that the 10% of combined handicap allowance is, and always has been, utterly unfair on higher handicappers. My experience is that scrambles are pretty much universally won by groups of highly skilled low handicap golfers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you get the allowances for a 3 ball scramble?

The handicapping rule book only shows 2 and 4 ball scrambles.

BTW you have a typo for a 2 ball....it is 35% of the low guy...not 5% :)

Guidance on the Rules page 43

The typo was a mis-cut and paste thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst other replies give you the new scramble allowances, I would just comment that the 10% of combined handicap allowance is, and always has been, utterly unfair on higher handicappers. My experience is that scrambles are pretty much universally won by groups of highly skilled low handicap golfers.

I agree with the logic although my mates and I have had some wins with handicaps of 8,8,10 and 10. Two of the guys are big hitters and two of us have above average short games.

There is a major scramble comp at Weymouth every year and there are a few groups of bandits though with winning scores from some high handicap groups some of the times.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guidance on the Rules page 43

The typo was a mis-cut and paste thanks.
This is how to do it. ;)

Texas Scramble
The formula for a 4-player team scramble allowance is 25%/20%/15%/10% from lowest to highest Course Handicap.
For a 2-player team it is 35%/15%.
For a 3-player team CONGU recommends 30%/20%/10%

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is how to do it. ;)

Texas Scramble
The formula for a 4-player team scramble allowance is 25%/20%/15%/10% from lowest to highest Course Handicap.
For a 2-player team it is 35%/15%.
For a 3-player team CONGU recommends 30%/20%/10%

What as per post #2 (with mis cut corrected)

berniethebolt

Visit site
Still don't understand the texas scramble allowances as listed by jim8flog. Four of us play in a scramble with handicaps of 12, 14, 18 and 20. Calculating 25% 20% 15% and 10% gives an allowance of 10.5
Next week two of us, handicaps 12 and 18, play in a two man scramble and 35% and 15% gives an allowance of 6.9 It seems odd that a four man team should get more shots than a 2 man team.
I know it is the same for all teams as all teams are pairs but it doesn't seem very logical.
However it is not unknown for teams of 4 in the winter to be a man short so what happens then as a team of three 12, 14, 18 get 8.2 allowance and this is a real disadvantage playing against teams of 4. Hard luck perhaps?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still don't understand the texas scramble allowances as listed by jim8flog. Four of us play in a scramble with handicaps of 12, 14, 18 and 20. Calculating 25% 20% 15% and 10% gives an allowance of 10.5
Next week two of us, handicaps 12 and 18, play in a two man scramble and 35% and 15% gives an allowance of 6.9 It seems odd that a four man team should get more shots than a 2 man team.
I know it is the same for all teams as all teams are pairs but it doesn't seem very logical.
However it is not unknown for teams of 4 in the winter to be a man short so what happens then as a team of three 12, 14, 18 get 8.2 allowance and this is a real disadvantage playing against teams of 4. Hard luck perhaps?

If it is a 4 man competition then the club should not be using the allowances for a 3 man team if they are a man down, they need to come up with another solution.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
My club always has balanced draws for our scrambles, the spread of handicaps is normally less than two shots (often less than one). We use exact handicaps to determine the winner. In our last one, the team that came thirteenth (and last) were just 6.7 shots behind the winners. This could be an option for your club if you always have the same winners - mix it up!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club always has balanced draws for our scrambles, the spread of handicaps is normally less than two shots (often less than one). We use exact handicaps to determine the winner. In our last one, the team that came thirteenth (and last) were just 6.7 shots behind the winners. This could be an option for your club if you always have the same winners - mix it up!
And shock horror, you might get to meet other club members. 99% of our comps are drawn.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever found the current 'norm' of 10% satisfactory?
I've only ever heard complaints. At least we can hope that the USGA & R&A have some stats to substantiate their recommendations. But even if they haven't , we can pretend they have :unsure:

yandabrown

Visit site
Has anyone ever found the current 'norm' of 10% satisfactory?
I've only ever heard complaints. At least we can hope that the USGA & R&A have some stats to substantiate their recommendations. But even if they haven't , we can pretend they have :unsure:
Did the complainers ever suggest a etter solution? If so, were the solutions compatible across a broad range of golfers?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Did the complainers ever suggest a etter solution? If so, were the solutions compatible across a broad range of golfers?

Well I always said that 1/6th was a lot fairer but never really tried to generate any stats to back that "gut feel" up.

However....whatever the allowance it wouldnt have helped the 4 ball who NR'd in one of our scrambles a few years back.