Handicap advice

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
Having now played 6 rounds of 18hole golf and numerous 9 hole rounds i want to get a handicap. unfortunetly i'm not a member of a course yet and am going to wait until next summer before signing up for a membership...

my scores have been - 105, 96, 97, 90, 85 for the last 5 rounds. (first 2 rounds at Stablefords Abbot & Priory, final 3 at Penina in Portugal)

i have seen people discuss online handicap services - are these any good and which would you recommend?

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I were you I'd visit the English Golf Union website (or your home union if you're not in England) I know that the EGU offer a handicap service for the nomadic golfer, and as it is from such a creditable source then it is widely accepted.
Hope that helps.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for that, will check it out. i did register on |Today's golfer for their free online handicap which gave me a 19....
which is surprising considering the amount of rounds i've played (few).

i intend to play as many full rounds as possible now for the rest of the summer and score properly so get a true handicap.

lion

Hacker
Visit site
The EGU did offer a handicap scheme. Have been a member of it for last few years and found it really useful. All clubs in the UK recognised it if i went to play anywhere.

Unfortunately they have just closed the scheme :(
They say because numbers are falling. Instead of being able to play anywhere,now have to join a club