GUR Rules Question

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, just been thinking about yesterdays captains day.. I was playing really well, but on the 17th there is a GUR. I hit my tee shot into said GUR, allowing me a free drop.

I took my drop from 2 club lengths (driver) from the edge of the GUR not gaining any advantage to the hole, infact leaving me needing to chip out onto the fairway leading onto me finishing with a 10... anyway back to my question.

On the edge of the GUR was a small arrow - I said to my playing partners is this correct, two club lengths no closer to the hole. they said yes thats fine, I carry on and take my drop.

On returning to the clubhouse, whilst having a beer I spoke to my mate and his dad and said about my 10 and that I hit GUR and took my drop from said location, to which he said, but there is a drop zone about 100 yards from the GUR, which I was not aware of (obviously what the arrow meant)

does this mean I made an illegal move by dropping two club lengths?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on what the published local rule says. Ours states play prohibited from within GUR but on one area of GUR the LR says you must use the Drop Zone provided.
By the way, 2 club lengths does not apply to free relief from GUR - it's Nearest Point of Relief then 1 club length. 2 club lengths applies only to penalty drop.

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site
I've heard a few junior team members who have played there and been caught by this local rule!! Many though it was ridiculous and a fight even broke out between the junior organizers because of it :p

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we had similar from plantations and they put a DZ at either end of the plantations with a white line half way up/across the tree area. so if you were in the front half you walked 30 yards nearer the hole to the DZ and if in the back half were penalised with a 30 yard added distance back to the DZ.

Wonder why a DZ if the correct procedure for such relief can be applied, no doubt someone has the answer pls.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
we had similar from plantations and they put a DZ at either end of the plantations with a white line half way up/across the tree area. so if you were in the front half you walked 30 yards nearer the hole to the DZ and if in the back half were penalised with a 30 yard added distance back to the DZ.

Wonder why a DZ if the correct procedure for such relief can be applied, no doubt someone has the answer pls.

As always, it's up to the committee and if they're not up to it, do something about it.

DCB

Visit site
I took my drop from 2 club lengths (driver) from the edge of the GUR not gaining any advantage to the hole,

Free drop is one clublength from nearest point of relief.

The dropzone can't be for that GUR if it is that far away.

Your other option would have been to play it from the gUR unless there is a local rule saying you can't play from it and must take relief ;)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
As said it all depends on the wording of the local rule. The procedure should be displayed on a notice board and the wording is important (must or may).

Anyway the above situation you took relief incorrectly regardless of the drop zone so 2 stroke penalty. Could be disqualification if it provided a significant advantage but since you took 10 I'd doubt that is true.

Taking relief from GUR isn't as simple as going to the edge of it. The nearest point of relief could actually take you into heavy rough or even behind a bush!This guy explains it very well.

Barry Rhodes, Nearest point of relief.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two clubs lengths - the worrying part- here are 3 players together in a Comp and not one of them knows a very basic rule of relief.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Taking relief from GUR isn't as simple as going to the edge of it. The nearest point of relief could actually take you into heavy rough or even behind a bush!This guy explains it very well.

Barry Rhodes, Nearest point of relief.
I got caught with this last weekend nearest point put me behind a tree with no shot .. had to chip out .. unfortunatly thats just the luck of it.. we use to have a drop zone way back .. so many complained that it reverted to the proper rule .. as said elsewhere on this tho its a pretty standard rule & none of the three knew it ..its the same everywhere tho i guess ..

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had an argument over this (or very similar) in a medal. He claimed that because his drop left him behind a tree he was entitled to a further free drop. He has been playing a lot longer then me but hadn't had the benefit of the forum - needless to say he wasn't happy - not even when I suggested he do both and we leave it to the committee.

(I suspect that had he done so he might even have won, a lot of the committee have funny ideas of rules)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drop zones are touched on in this months GM. As it says in there, drop zones are usually used as a additional option to a rule. It's pretty rare for them to be a forced option. Especially on small areas of GUR where normal ground lies beside it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a compulsory DZ on our 3rd. It's a short par 3 with a lake behind the green and only a couple of metres between the back of the bank and the water. The DZ is off to one side tucked into a corner between lake and shrubbery

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
As many have said above it depends on the wording of the local rule. If the DZ is there and mentioned then is may be a MUST or a MAY but it should be one or the other in the rule. If it's a MAY then you also have the option of playing as it lies (whatever next) unless it says you must take relief. Also as above the GUR rule of golf allows 1 clublength from the nearest point of relief which is a specific point and not up for negotiation or choice.

We have a DZ for any ball landing on the practice putting green at the back of our 18th green. It's a MUST but you wouldn't believe the stuff we see from the clubhouse. Comedy at times :D Have seen people in the hazard to the right of the green using it, people under the bench next to the first tee using it .... you really feel like giving up :D :D

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bet they wouldn't stop you choosing to replay off the tee though. ;)

I have noticed drop zones on some course where, for practical reasons, drops aren't feasible but for the average golfer it could result losing every ball in the bag if it weren't for the drop zone.

Par 5 15th at Concrawood is one of these.