GUR - compulsory relief or play it as it lies?

fullongolf

Visit site
General discussion after the game with the Captain and some members about GUR. The Captain insisted that a player must take relief from an area marked GUR. I disagreed and said that the player has the option to either play the ball as it lies or take a free drop.

I later did some research and found the following:

GUR is covered under rule 16, and 16.1b spells out how relief is to taken. In that sub-clause, it states that "the player may take free relief..." (see extracts from the rules below).

Rule 16, Relief from Abnormal Course Conditions (Including Immovable Obstructions), Dangerous Animal Condition, Embedded Ball

16.1b
Relief for Ball in General Area
If a player’s ball is in the general area and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may take free relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):
Reference Point: The nearest point of complete relief in the general area.
Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:
Limits on Location of Relief Area:
Must be in the general area,
Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
There must be complete relief from all interference by the abnormal course condition.

(I see in other comments about GUR that there may be an additional sign stating that the player must take relief. Obviously a player must comply with that direction).

It is therefore my view that (subject to a local rule stating otherwise) it is up to the player whether to take relief or play the ball where it lies.

I would like this clarified if possible, thanks.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally relief from GUR is not compulsory as you show above, however clubs may make some or all area's of GUR on their course no play Zones in which case relief must be taken. See Rule 2.4 and the definition of No Play Zone

fullongolf

Visit site
The sign was just GUR, there were no other directions.

As noted in my post, I'm aware that a local rule can apply, e.g. "that the player must take relief..."

My query relates to a GUR without any local rule or extra direction.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The sign was just GUR, there were no other directions.

As noted in my post, I'm aware that a local rule can apply, e.g. "that the player must take relief..."

My query relates to a GUR without any local rule or extra direction.
If there is no local rule or other direction in place, then relief is optional and not compulsory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our bukers were GUR at the weekend and a PP played from one. Wasn't sure at the time whether it was correct but it was a compact lie and he hit it great so he was happy. We didn't know if he could or not so let him carry on

fullongolf

Visit site
To doublebogey7,

Thanks, your response was fine. I would prefer that the rule included something like "the player may play the ball as it lies or take relief...".

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
To doublebogey7,

Thanks, your response was fine. I would prefer that the rule included something like "the player may play the ball as it lies or take relief...".
You would need to add in, "may declare the ball unplayable" as well if you are to give the player all the available choices. Such a change makes no real sense to me as the wording is already very clear and would just make the rule book longer if the rules were going to give all the available choices a player has in any given situation.

Your club could, in any case, add the wording you suggest without it effecting its meaning if they so wished.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a player’s ball is in the general area and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may take free relief

(I see in other comments about GUR that there may be an additional sign stating that the player must take relief. Obviously a player must comply with that direction).
"May" means exactly what it says.
If the club wishes to deny the 'play as it lies' option they must deem it to be a No Play Zone.

Where did you see "additional sign stating that the player must take relief" without mention of a NPZ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
To doublebogey7,

No need for that. Playing the ball as it lies is the basic requirement which applies everywhere and all the time except where the Rules allow you Rule 1.1 explains the fundamental rules of golf - "play the course as you find it" and "play the ball as it lies". These are the basic requirements of the game but where necessary they can be modified to allow the player to change the conditions of the course or to lift his ball and play from a different place. The various relief rules need only specify what the exceptions are; they don't need to repeat what they are exceptions to. That has already been spelled out in Rule 1.1.

In answer to your question, your Captain is wrong as you have realised. To prohibit play from the GUR, you would have to define it as a No Play Zone [NPZ].of See the definition of a No Play Zone here.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Rulefan

The club should mark them up as No Play Zones then there is no ambiguity.

If not so marked or a LR published then taking relief is optional.

salfordlad

Visit site
I'll join everyone else saying the same thing. This rule - relief is available from GUR and is optional - has been this way for all my decades on a golf course. The Rules make this point in extremely brief and elegant fashion - "the player MAY take free relief ..." and I see no good reason to add more words to the rule book. Ruling Bodies do not confuse the words "may" and "must", although clearly the occasional Club Captain does.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Pre-2019, the preamble in the Rule book explicitly explained what the words mean:

may = optional
should = recommendation
must = instruction (and penalty if not carried out)

Those explanations didn't make the post-2019 editions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the courses I’ve played in Scotland have a LR stating relief must be taken from GUR. This was the case pre NPZs and remains so
Note the difference in wording.

salfordlad

Visit site
Note the difference in wording.
The second Carnoustie one is unusual, saying:
"Free relief must be taken from interference by the no play zone under Rule 16.1f. Please play from a designated drop zone."
That first sentence says follow the Rule (relief based on NPCR) followed by a polite request to play from the DZ. So it is, literally, saying take relief and we prefer you do it from the DZ.