GUR and swing path

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has just created a rather large section of GUR running down one side of a fairway, whilst some mounding is created. The GUR is marked with a white painted line all the way down one side for about 120 yards and the end of the line is a tree (the line then moves around the back of the mounding. The line is supplemented with a rope (mainly to stop idiots trying to retrieve balls on unstable mounding), the rope is tied to the tree at the end of the mound and then go off along the same direction as the line.

So last night during a doubles Matchplay game my partner hit the middle of the mounding and so had a free drop to the side of the mounding (no issues here thats what the GuR is there for) one of our competitors came to rest under the tree at the end of the rope, but outside of the GUR painted line. The tree hampered his swing to the extent that he could only punch out the ball forward along the fairway. If the tree wasn't there then he would have had the chance of going for the green. Our opponent indicated that he thought that he should get a free drop by being hampered by the tree (which, in his words, was effectively part of the GUR marking).

Play it as it lies, as the tree is not part of the GUR? Or allow a GUR drop, even though the ball is not in GUR? Comments ? Does the tieing of the rope to the tree make any difference? Would the greenkeeper be better to mark it with a post rather than the tree?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm struggling to picture this, and therefore understand the problem!

Maybe this will help....

1. where lines on the ground and ropes exist, the lines are what counts for the definition of the area
2. if there isn't a line then there must be a rope or a stake, and anything inside the outer edges, is inside the GUR
3. a tree rooted in the area of GUR is part of the GUR, so a branch overhanging the line is still GUR.
4. a branch interferring with the players swing, or area of intended swing to be more precise, constitutes interference under the rule so relief would be available.

Does this help?

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a starter it depends if the tree is in the GUR. If it is you get relief.

25-1a/1 Ball Outside Ground Under Repair Area But Tree Within Area Interferes with Swing

"Q. The margins of ground under repair do not extend vertically upwards. If the ball lies outside ground under repair and a tree rooted within the ground under repair interferes with a player's swing, but there is no interference with his stance, is the player entitled to relief?

"A. Yes. The Definition of “Ground Under Repair” states: “All ground and any grass, bush, tree or other growing thing within the ground under repair is part of the ground under repair.” Therefore, the player may take relief under Rule 25-1 as the tree within the ground under repair interferes with the area of his intended swing."

However whether or not the tree is in the GUR might be the issue here given how you have described the way the GUR is marked so I'll leave that for one of the real experts to advise on.

Interestly I noticed the following referenced as a related decision

25/10.7 Status of Roots Outside Ground Under Repair Growing from Tree Inside Ground Under Repair

"Q. A player's ball comes to rest against a tree root. The tree is within ground under repair, but the ball is against a part of the root outside the ground under repair. Is the player entitled to relief without penalty under Rule 25-1?

"A. No. The margin of ground under repair extends vertically downwards, so part of a growing thing within ground under repair that extends beyond the area at or below ground level is not ground under repair."

No doubt the decisions for the 2 different situations were arrived at following a "root and branch" review.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm struggling to picture this, and therefore understand the problem!

Maybe this will help....

1. where lines on the ground and ropes exist, the lines are what counts for the definition of the area
2. if there isn't a line then there must be a rope or a stake, and anything inside the outer edges, is inside the GUR
3. a tree rooted in the area of GUR is part of the GUR, so a branch overhanging the line is still GUR.
4. a branch interferring with the players swing, or area of intended swing to be more precise, constitutes interference under the rule so relief would be available.

Does this help?
The line was on the floor and the line went straight upto the bottom of the tree trunk. The rope was placed along posts (also along the line) and the rope was tied to the tree trunk.

From your post above I would say the tree (and its branches are part of the GuR) and hence even though his ball was outside the boundary of the GUR that he was still entitled to relief, due to overhanging branches.

To be honest I wasn't aware of the overhanging branches being part of the GuR, and so when asked I simply stated that. He decided not to query any more as his partner said that he didn't think he was entitled to relief. If he had taken a drop I would of thought the nearest point might well have been backward into more tree, so whilst he would of gotten away from that tree. He would of just encountered another one.

Thanks ... off to find my decisions book and stick it in my bag :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks ... off to find my decisions book and stick it in my bag :)

don't realy need the decisions book! The relevant bits are all covered in the definitions of GUR and Rule 25-1 itself. The decsions only clarify that the definitions mean what they say! :)

I agree you interpretation - they really should just complete the white line around the base of the tree!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
don't realy need the decisions book! The relevant bits are all covered in the definitions of GUR and Rule 25-1 itself. The decsions only clarify that the definitions mean what they say! :)

I agree you interpretation - they really should just complete the white line around the base of the tree!

Trouble is I think this is one of those ones where even with a Rule book you might be hard presed to persuade some folks that you were entitled to free relief!