Grounding Club in Bunker

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker
(1) When Touching Sand Results in Penalty. Before making a stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
  • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
  • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:
    • In the area right in front of or right behind the ball (except as allowed under Rule 7.1a in fairly searching for a ball or under Rule 12.2a in removing a loose impediment or movable obstruction),
    • In making a practice swing, or
    • In making the backswing for a stroke

Would it therefore be OK to lightly rest the club on the sand in a bunker as part of the process of you taking your grip before moving in to your stance position? Many people use this process when playing from grass (letting the club rest under its own weight on the ground, letting the grip fall naturally into the left hand, before closing the fingers and then introducing the right hand to the grip) and the wording above does not seem to indicate that you would be unable to follow the same process when in a bunker.

Thoughts?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it you are allowed to do it provided, as you say, it is done away from the ball.

As per the first sub bullet point (double arrows in the rule book) of touch sand in a bunker with a club.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Jim highlights, your cut and paste process has changed the layout of the rule, and confused things.

As actually written it's clear enough (that you can ground your club in a bunker prior to making a stroke provided that you don't do the bits set out in your post

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When you say... "the bits set out in your post".... which bits are you specifically referring to?

Jim seems to be saying that I can do it.... are you saying that I can't do it?

I'm confused.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The other player(s) in your group, or your opponent(s), will no doubt accuse you of testing (first bullet in original post).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker
(1) When Touching Sand Results in Penalty. Before making a stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
  • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
  • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:
    • In the area right in front of or right behind the ball (except as allowed under Rule 7.1a in fairly searching for a ball or under Rule 12.2a in removing a loose impediment or movable obstruction),
    • In making a practice swing, or
    • In making the backswing for a stroke

This bit, which tells you when you can't...(as it says)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you touch any sand in a bunker with your club you better be ready to defend yourself because the chances are, somebody in your group will (rightly or wrongly) challenge you.
If you want an easy life, just don't do it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you touch any sand in a bunker with your club you better be ready to defend yourself because the chances are, somebody in your group will (rightly or wrongly) challenge you.
If you want an easy life, just don't do it.

This is going to happen with loads of things over the next year or more.

Better in the long run to educate people about the new rules than have to play by 'their rules ' forever more.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing I think the revised rules addresses is the debate I have been involved in at times when I do such as: lifting a rake out of a bunker by hooking my club under the handle and accidentally touching the sand as I do that; or even simpler - if I accidentally drop my club in the bunker...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing I think the revised rules addresses is the debate I have been involved in at times when I do such as: lifting a rake out of a bunker by hooking my club under the handle and accidentally touching the sand as I do that; or even simpler - if I accidentally drop my club in the bunker...
Indeed - there will always be people who don't know the rules; and that's before any consideration of what constitutes knowing them!

You are going to get people making all sorts of comments; it's in some people's nature, but the rules of golf bring it to a new level for some. In this particular case those previously of one view might even come up with "well it's a good job you didn't do that last year, or you would have had a penalty..." 🤗