Groove Sharpeners

Visit site
I've just bought a groove sharpener from GrooveFix on ebay. It is fantastic but I'm worried that the new groove regulations will mean I can't use it? Does anyone have any feedback on the use of these tools?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of them swears blind that if you use their sharpener it only restores the groove to original size.

Personally I wouldn't bet on it.

If you take a fraction too much metal then you may be over the groove limit that currently exists - don't forget the new one that's caused all the aggro is for Pro's and elite amateurs. Won't affect us till 2024 at least.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There have been a few posts on this topic. To me, anything which removes material is going to make the club non conforming. I would not use one. You will never be sure, as you won't ever get the grooves checked, but to me, it is not something I would do. I would feel like I could be cheating, and would query anyone I saw using one.

It could be useful to remove mud out of the corners of the grooves if used very lightly (better than a tee or brush), but anything which changes the groove depth or profile will make them non conforming for competition use.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must reiterate why hasn't the R&A or the USGA banned the use of these groove restorers if they think they make a club illegal? They are quick to ban anything else that infringes the rules and surely they know about the availability and uses by now. It is not as if they are an underground product they are available to all.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
If you look at the guidelines "Rules" for club manufactures there are strict tolerances set and we all know the Golf club designers push these to the limits. So it stands to reason if you increase or change the shape of the groove it will no longer fit into these tolerances and be deemed ilegal no need for any extra law or rule IMHO.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I really can't see how you can ban a scraper. In the right hands, it might be able to do a good job, but in the wrong hands it will make the club illegal. I have a couple of milling machines in my workshop, and I could re-machine the grooves and make them illegal, should they be banned as well?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must reiterate why hasn't the R&A or the USGA banned the use of these groove restorers if they think they make a club illegal? They are quick to ban anything else that infringes the rules and surely they know about the availability and uses by now. It is not as if they are an underground product they are available to all.

because it's a tool
and because they only make the club illegal for competition,
if you want one for purely for fun, stick in any grooves you like and zip the ball from one side of the green to the other.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

because it's a tool
if you want one for purely for fun, stick in any grooves you like and zip the ball from one side of the green to the other.

Even if they were banned would that stop you from using one?
Pro's probably wouldn't as they could be subjected to a groove check (oooerr!) if they win a comp, I don't think you'll get checked for a 40pt stableford victory.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

because it's a tool

Even if they were banned would that stop you from using one?
Pro's probably wouldn't as they could be subjected to a groove check (oooerr!) if they win a comp, I don't think you'll get checked for a 40pt stableford victory.

Ridiculous statement!!

40pts would never win a comp at my course :p

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get the guy on the Tour van to fix your grooves. If you are not on Tour, you don't need one.

Nice.... :)

I say keep 'em clean, if there's no grooves left (like my old SW) but a new one!!!