Grips

N47han90

Visit site
Hi all

I am getting back in to golf after after my grandad passed but i have picked up a set of irons from a family friend but them need new grips would you recommend doing them yourself or getting a shop to do them

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the old ones are knackered just cut them off.
Any tape left on the shaft can be removed using a hairdryer to just warm it up.
Have a look on YouTube it’s a very simple job.
Just make sure you line them up the same.
I always go logo down so I can’t see it but it’s a personal choice.
Tour velvet no logos are a good choice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Time and cost only you can decide.

I think the pro cost is in the region of £3-5 + cost of the grip per club.

I have done my own grips for years I just use white spirt and not a golf grip specific solvent

There are plenty of how to videos on you tube and plenty of good suppliers of grips such as gamolagolf, adorablegolf. If you want to keep cost down try JL golf. Have a look around ebay.

4 things you need to be sure of before you buy grips

1. The the diameter of the butt of the shaft (usually either .58 or .60) this can be found out by removing the grip rom a club you are likely not to need 3 for a short while e.g 3 iron.
2. How thick do you want the grip to be? Buyng midsize for example will save you having to put on multiple layers of tape if you like a thicker grip.

3. Do you prefer a grip with a ridge at the back or plain round?

4. Buy a couple more grips than you actually need in case it goes wrong

Do one grip first and make sure you are happy with before doing the lot.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
On my first attempt, quiet a few years ago now I just bought one more grip than was needed to give myself a practice attempt, if it wasn’t successful I could have another go, it is quiet easy, just takes a little time.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Time and cost only you can decide.

I think the pro cost is in the region of £3-5 + cost of the grip per club.

I have done my own grips for years I just use white spirt and not a golf grip specific solvent

There are plenty of how to videos on you tube and plenty of good suppliers of grips such as gamolagolf, adorablegolf. If you want to keep cost down try JL golf. Have a look around ebay.

4 things you need to be sure of before you buy grips

1. The the diameter of the butt of the shaft (usually either .58 or .60) this can be found out by removing the grip rom a club you are likely not to need 3 for a short while e.g 3 iron.
2. How thick do you want the grip to be? Buyng midsize for example will save you having to put on multiple layers of tape if you like a thicker grip.

3. Do you prefer a grip with a ridge at the back or plain round?

4. Buy a couple more grips than you actually need in case it goes wrong

Do one grip first and make sure you are happy with before doing the lot.
All good advice. I've been doing mine for years. It's easy and I get my grips from either Gamola or Golf Grips.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I regripped my clubs a few weeks ago for the first time ever. It was a doddle after the first one. Bought the grips from Amazon for under £50 with a knife, tapes, white spirit included. I've played several rounds with them and no grip issues