Grips and their lifetime....

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
I've had my clubs about ayear now. (G5's, 3 hybrid 4-SW irons. Sasquatch 3 wood and driver. Titelist wedges)

I'm pondering getting them regripped but I'm curious as to the expected life of a decent grip?

I don't think it helps that they're dragging along each other when I put them in and out the bag but I have noticed that my wedges seemto be "drier" than the others.

If I do get them all done any suggestions? I'm off 21 so lets not get too mental!!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i re grip my wedges twice a year as they get used far more than anything else,irons once a year around march ready for the summer and my woods whenever i feel like as they last a bit longer,i did get told once that the rubber will perish after about a year even if they are not being used

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that washing them will extend the life although if they are already too worn not by much. It depends on what type of grip you buy and how often you play and practice.

If you go for the top of the range ones like the coloured golf pride ones which are part rubber/cord at the top and coloured soft rubber where your right hand goes (right handed golfers) these will wear quite quickly if you hit a lot of practice balls as well as playing and are quite expensive (£8-10)

If you go for somthing like a Lamkin half cord (a middle of the range grip with corded material for better grip in the wet) they will last pretty well. I had a set on my old X14's and I play twice at weekends, practice most days from May-September in the longer nights and at the range in the WInter and they lasted me well over a year (with two washes in warm water and fairy) with no excessive wear.

A standard plain rubber grip (Tour Velvet) will probably be the most durable and should last a good couple of years. They are also pretty cheap to get put on as well.

At the end of the day it depends on what sort of grips you want. Do you need the extra feel of the soft golf pride, want something to give you extra grip in the wet or just want a bog standard grip.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had my x20's for about 8 months. I play about 2-3 times a week and a couple range sessions etc. I thought my grips were fine but on taking delivery of a 50* attack wedge the diference was unbelievable.