Grip.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is probably geared more towards the seasoned players and i mean no disrespect towards anyone that learning but how would you describe your grip on the club....

I know that there are a lot of variants and everyone is different but id like to see if there is a trend in the better players....

Im conscious of my grip all the time and i think that from what i have read im gripping predominantly in the fingers of both hands....Now from reading up on this it seems that there is a loss of control when a player does this....Its apparently great for speed and power but you give up control with it.....

When i read more into it a lot of information is saying that the club should run across the left hand from the base of the index finger to the little fleshy pad at the back of the palm....

Yet mine doesnt....Mine runs right across the base of all the fingers of the left hand....
Could this be the cause of me missing on both sides of the course......I guess when i time it right its fine but if i dont things get very interesting.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did have a palm happy grip, many of my golf gloves will show lovely wear marks right on the fleshy part of the left hand. Now, I've been told I have a strong left hand grip, I'm trying my best to hold the club in my fingers with the grip running from the crease of the first knuckle on my index finger to the base of my little finger, then grip around the shaft.

For me that is comfortable and works, though no doubt in a few lessons time once my teaching pro has my swing sorted out, he'll destroy my grip and it'll be back to square one.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me left hand grips diagonally across my fingers - from base of pinkie to top knuckle of index finger. Right hand is much less conscious but probably more in the palm. Fingers interlocking.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The top hand. The club should run from the knuckle of your index finger (hook your index finger thats where the club goes). It then runs to the pad at the base of the little finger. Then rap the hand round the club so the club sits below the palm pad and the V formed by the thumb and index finger should point between your chin and rear shoulder (neutral grip). The bottom hand crook your two middle fingers and place the club there put your little finger in the place of your choice. Then hook your index finger around the club. So the base of the finger and thumb squeeze together at the base. The V formed should mirror the top hand (both point in same direction). So the hands will work together. When you look down at your hands at address, you should see two and half- three knuckles of your top hand (neutral grip). You may have to alter the amount of knuckle you see. Depending on if you hook or slice. But only turn half a knuckle at a time. (a tip to remember to correct hook/slice. Turn the grip in the direction of the ball flight to correct it).

P.S. I have tried to write this so both L & R handed players can read it (I hope).

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Heres mine:

temporary-66.jpg

Pretty much as Dave describes it.