Grip Trouble

cah1234

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive got a massive problem with my grip.
Its very weak and if my timing is out i hit massive snap hooks with the driver.
I play off 10 and years ago got down to 3 so have played with it for soo long.
The trouble is im so inconsistant, if my timing is out i might aswell stay at home.
Its time to change it but i only get to play or practise a maximum of once a week. That once a week i get i want to be playing not hitting balls on the range.
Whats the best and quickest way to change it and how long does it take before your memory will get used to the new grip and do it automatically?
Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
do you mean weak, more likely to be strong if hitting hooks

its definitely not a quick fix, have gone through the same process recently but have hit literally thousands of balls and its still not 100% all the time.

would recommend getting a trainer grip fitted to an old iron (or get a demo iron to fit it to) and use that to get used to where the hands should be and work on hitting the shots with the big muscles not the hands (initially I expect you will hit big blocks to the right)

once happy with that then mix hitting shots with your normal irons and the trainer grip one.

even several months down the line I try and hit 15 or so balls with the trainer grip iron as a reminder at the start of each session

cah1234

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry yes i meant a strong grip.
Practise it is then. My only worry is that trying to change something as major as a grip whilst playing on the course doesnt normally work.
And as its going to take a while to fix i cant not play on the course.
Ideally i just need to hit balls on the range where it doesnt matter where they go but i need to be playing aswell.
Will have to see what happens i guess.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry yes i meant a strong grip.
Practise it is then. My only worry is that trying to change something as major as a grip whilst playing on the course doesnt normally work.
And as its going to take a while to fix i cant not play on the course.
Ideally i just need to hit balls on the range where it doesnt matter where they go but i need to be playing aswell.
Will have to see what happens i guess.

There are couple of members at Royal Ascot on here. I am sure they will be in touch. Can't vouch for them myself, but others say they are good guys ! ;)