Grip Size

JGolfer

Visit site
I wear a medium glove and have always used standard golf grips. Have been using a driver with a midsize grip recently, and have fell in love with it, it feels so nice to hold. My clubs are in desperate need of new grips and I am torn between MCC / MCC+4 (Both midsize) Or potentially getting standard in them and adding some extra layers to thicken a standard grip but not to the same size of a midsize.

Has anybody in the past experimented on this? Is there much difference between the +4 and standard MCC. Or any experience with adding some layers of tape to standard to thicken them a little.

Also if anybody knows anywhere in the NW (I am Liverpool area) that has grips available to potentially test, that would be smashing too!

Cheers!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been using Golf Pride Plus 4 grips for the past two years. Initially I had Multi Compound but found them too abrasive on my palms. This year I have fitted Tour Velvet Plus 4 Midsize with one extra layer of tape and they are fantastic. (I wear a midsize glove).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can go on to the gofpride.com website and it has a grip fit tool so it is the correct size for your hands.

It is important to know the butt end diameter of the shafts so you buy the correct bore size.

The plus 4 is all about thickening the lower end so the grip is the same thickness all the way down and if it is just the bottom section that you want to build up do this before putting with a standard grip.

If you want to move away from cord take a look at the CP2 Pro

I used to use Winn grips to get the one size all the way down as they use an inner core with an outer layer.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wear a medium glove and have always used standard golf grips. Have been using a driver with a midsize grip recently, and have fell in love with it, it feels so nice to hold. My clubs are in desperate need of new grips and I am torn between MCC / MCC+4 (Both midsize) Or potentially getting standard in them and adding some extra layers to thicken a standard grip but not to the same size of a midsize.

Has anybody in the past experimented on this? Is there much difference between the +4 and standard MCC. Or any experience with adding some layers of tape to standard to thicken them a little.

Also if anybody knows anywhere in the NW (I am Liverpool area) that has grips available to potentially test, that would be smashing too!

Cheers!

It really does depend what size grip you need/want. If you want midsize buy the midsize, if you need to build one up with tape then its easy enough to do although the grip can get a little stretched and then you feel the harder tape underneath a bit more (especially if you add a lot of layers of tape). Its pretty standard to add one or 2 extra layers under a grip to "size" it

The difference between standard and +4 is night and day imho. I spent years building up the bottom hand on grips to remove the grips taper as thats what I prefer, its not for everyone.

If it was me I would have one of each put on a 6 and 7 iron and see which I preferred then get the rest done to match

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There is some science behind grip size but I think, first and foremost, it has to feel right.
If 8t feels good then you're not going to be worrying about it.
I have quite small hands but I like a bigger grip than the fitting guides suggest.

RichA

Visit site
I first tried midsize grips during an iron fitting at AG. I'm not convinced that there was any improvement in performance, but they felt much more comfortable. My hand size comes out on the Golf Pride website as smack in the middle of standard.
I did experiment with tape, adding 4 layers under the standard grips of my irons. It matched the size of midsize grips, but felt rock hard. Midsize grips have a little bit of squidge, to accompany the extra size.
Better golfers, of which I am not one, might say that the extra cushioning reduces feel. To my knackered hands, that's a good thing.

Edit: just realised this is the "Experts" thread. I'm not an expert. Apply salt, if considering my "advice."