Grip change advice needed

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Evening Victorious EU fans,
I am planning over winter to correct my very very strong grip. My irons and short game have coped, my driver has really started to struggle with it with a nasty duck hook.

So I have decided to start working on having a correct grip over winter, I have a Cleveland cg something with a golf pride training grip on, so I intend to spend the winter working on my grip every weekend and when I can.

My question is will this be enough time over winter or should I plan to spend as long as it takes and then work on getting my handicap down?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I would think if you're duck-hooking, a change of grip alone isn't going to cure it :(

Do you think just weakening my grip to a more neutral to strong grip might help? I am leaning back on my drives and it seems my left arm just locks :D When I relax its ok but its doing my head in.

NickSwan

Club Champion
www.3goodshots.com
I think ensuring you have the correct grip is something you have to work at your entire golfing life. It is very easy to slip back into bad habits as I keep finding out. I think the best thing to do is work on a pre shot routine that incorporates making sure you grip is correct before making a practice swing. Going to see a pro for one lesson to help doing this is a good idea, although good books I've read that cover the grip well are:

Ben Hogans - Five Lessons
Nick Bradley - Seven Laws of the golf swing

Cheers
Nick

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think if you're duck-hooking, a change of grip alone isn't going to cure it :(

Do you think just weakening my grip to a more neutral to strong grip might help? I am leaning back on my drives and it seems my left arm just locks :D When I relax its ok but its doing my head in.

Why do you lean back on your drives?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that a good grip is really going to pay dividends as time goes on, so keep at it. I am sure that Bob is right about it not causing the duck hook but it will lead to many other problems and, like has already been said, most of us fight grip problems. I neutralised my grip about a year ago and still have to check it before each swing but the results are so much better since I made the changes.

Do it, and stick with it, and you will benefit from doing so

Chris

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Interesting stuff. I have tried this myself in the past and basically gave up after a couple of months and reverted to my "natural" grip. I cured the hooking no problem but it produced a lot of inconsistency and I stood on the tee without any confidence in where it was going at all.

That said, I'm not the best practicer and I'm certainly no spring chicken so I'm not really able (or willing) to invest the amount of time that would be needed. I think the whole winter is more than enough to know if it is showing improvement for you though so good luck with it.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

Why do you lean back on your drives?

Bob if I knew that I would be playing better.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Chances are that your left grip is too strong, doesn't matter too much about the right though provided you don't have your right thumb pressed against the shaft.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Who told you that, Robert Rock?
:D :D :D

We were discussing the virtues of a flat left wrist. Recently I had switched to a stronger left grip and he said I should probably change back. I prefer trying to hold off the club through impact and then extend through the ball.

T'was interesting some of the things we were talking about... I hope you weren't bored! :)

The grip isn't a fundamental of the swing as you'll see lots of (tour) players with an assortment of different grips, lots of which are stronger than the 'norm'. If your swing is consistent then you can work your grip accordingly so the first step is to decide what kind of ball flight you are after and go from there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyway...
As James said, you dont need a perfect grip to hit it straight (although it helps), I would suggest you tackle the main cause of the duck hook.
By leaning back on the driver in an effort to get the thing airborne, your body stops turning through the ball. Your hands and clubhead flip past your body sending it left and then more left.
You need to try turning more through the ball and finishing up on your right toe balanced.
Film your swing and see at what point your right heel( :)) starts to lift. (should be just before impact).