Greenkeepers Question Time!!

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello fellow golfers

I am a Golf Course Manager as well as a keen golfer, so I understand both perspectives of golf course life.

The many years I have been lucky enough to be a greenkeeper, I have been asked all sorts of questions regarding the operations we do. I would like to bridge the gap from the complexities of greenkeeping to the common frustrations of our customers ‘you the golfer’.

So if you would like to ask me questions regarding ‘greenkeeping matters’ on this site I would be more than happy to oblige.

I weight in anticipation!

Regards

The keeper of the green.

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a member of two golf courses and have found a significant difference in the colour of the greens. After the month of May bought us substantial rain the greens and one course a bright green and very soft. At the other course the greens are stil significantly hard and patched with brown. Are there any reasons why this could be? The material the greens are made of perhaps?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy one - How are you meant to rake a bunker after you've played from it - sand back towards the middle or towards the edge (as most seem to do!)?

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi oasis90

This is a very good question! One that I could write a book on. I see this throughout the UK, very different greens, yet similar soils weather and so on.

It all boils down to the maintenance procedure/ policy of the individual clubs. Green & softer putting surfaces are a result of feed & water. Although this is aesthetically pleasing it does have downsides. If the greens are continually feed and watered the affects can be very detrimental to the health of the green. Unfortunately many of us equate green with health this is seldom true. Very similar to us humans, if we eat and drink too much we are endanger of getting fat and lazy. Thatch, Disease & shallow roots are problems commonly associated with this type of policy.

The more sustainable option, is to limit the feed and water enough to keep the ‘correct grasses’ alive. This results in deeper roots, less thatch and little need for expensive and environmentally damaging chemicals. The down side may be overly firm (for some) and greens that are not as green as some would like. However the greens tend to be faster and smoother for longer and generally perform well during the winter months. For example Royal Liverpool for the open was a prime example of excellent sustainable greens. The R&A are promoting this type of policy throughout the UK, and with changes in legislations I am sure more will follow.

I hope this answers your question- I would be interested to hear your opinions, which one do you prefer.

Thanks

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
I always recommend that members try not to move too much sand! Bunkers will always be inconsistent, one major problem for is that members will naturally rake in the direction of them walking, thus moving the sand. Popular bunkers will soon have little sand towards the front yet plenty at the back.

From a greenkeeping perspective, it is very time consuming to rake sand back to the face/ middle, so I suppose members could help by raking the sand away from themselves.

We can but hope- cheers

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Muttleee - Am not a Greenkeeper but thought this the best place to plonk this post ref rakes in bunkers.

I played a course the other week that had rake holders at the very edge of the bunker. It was basically a hollow pipe sticking vertically just proud of the ground in the very corner of the bunker which you then stand the rake up in vertically. Brilliant !!!!

DHM.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
I use rake holders, very simple pipe in the ground. It helps protect the rakes from damage. I just wish members would put them back in the holders.

As for placement of rakes I personally feel the rake head should be in the sand with the handle resting up over the lip (in the air). I feel the rake should not stop a ball from going into the hazard. To be honest this is more for golfing reasons than greenkeeping.

Keep them coming!

Cheers

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick question, Greenkeeper. No doubt a long answer... but how the hell do they get greens to run at 14-15 on the stimpmeter at Oakmont without destroying the grass? How can they cut them so low?

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi John
I obviously can’t answer for Oakmont but I can say how I prepare for Tournament Standard greens.
But before I begin, this is for tournament golf ONLY! If I maintained the greens like this for any period of time I would not be employed for long.

Long term.
Have a healthy root system, to achieve this plenty of aeration is needed.
Limit Thatch (organic matter) to a minimum, again plenty of aeration.
Have a healthy / quality & native grass species,
Poa annua (meadow grass) should be discouraged if possible! This may not be possible everywere.

Mid term
Firmness is a must, limit feed & water as much as possible, especially near to the Tournament, I will never feed within a month of the date to avoid lush soft growth.
Firm & true, Plenty of top-dressing with a (compatible) sandy loam. I try weekly, light dressings. Two week prior to the date I will stop dressing. Then I would start rolling.
I would recommend the course be closed at least two weeks before the event to avoid damage coursed by golfers, pitch marks etc.

Week before!
I will double cut daily leading to the tournament. I will also roll with a turf iron or vibrating rollers to increase speed and trueness.
Apply a turf tonic (not feed) to add colour.
I may reduce the height but only if needed, I have not had to as yet. We achieve speeds of 12ft without any detrimental lowering of heights.

So my theory is to have the greens prepared years in advance, Firm & True is the key to speed. So a good aeration policy followed by smoothing the surface with a sandy dressing is important.

Achieving 15ft I would imagine they are ultra smooth and firm. They are probably cutting very low as well. I would not recommend cutting very low for future health fears and the fact that the average punter would have me strung up.

It obviously takes a lot more but I hope you get the picture.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jings. I only asked.

Seriously, thanks. Fascinating job and I'm sure the expertise and work involved is much under-rated by us golfers. I'll look at our greens differently now.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting that the Greenkeeper is also a golfer. I'd like to ask him whether he thinks the fact that he plays the game helps him in his job. After all, some greenkeepers don't play?
I imagine greenkeeping to be a fascinating way to earn a living but what about the stroppy members? Do you have 700 bosses or do you simply tell them to get lost when they say they don't like where you cut the hole on the 18th? Must say I've found your posts interesting.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
You’re right I do have 700 bosses, well 900, I also answer to the R&A, STRI, Course Architect, Golf Unions, Ecologist, Environment Agency, HSE not forgetting the Committee. And with the recent changes in H&S / Environment Legislations we need to be on our toes.
I listen to all parties, but remember that members have such a difference of opinions; I need to listen to the STRI, and myself more because we are the experts.

We can please some people some of the time! I do indeed have a fascinating job!

Playing golf certainly helps, I feel Golf Clubs need to be more pro-active with ‘encouraging’ the green staff to play. It does give me a better understanding and appreciation of the game, thus helping me improve the course. I also like to play other courses, again giving me a better appreciation on what other greenkeeprs are doing.

The greenkeeping association is actively encouraging greenkeepers to play more. As well as in-depth training days on the aspects of the sport, they also provide excellent training on communication, customer relations, H&S and many more workshops & seminars are also underway. This is to hopefully help us all work better together.

I think many golfers would be amazed at the amount of education we have to carry out to become a senior greenkeeper, even after 25 years!!

Sorry for the long post again!

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
STRI is the Sports Turf Research Institute; they have been going for over 120 years. They are an independent consultancy company, and are unquestionably the market leader in turfgrass & scientific research and agronomy. www.stri.co.uk, they visit once or twice a year and evaluate the condition and progress the course is making. They will also do in-depth soil analysis.
Another interesting website is the R&A Best Practice www.bestcourseforgolf.org

Cheers