GPS

D

Deleted Member 1156

I use a laser but occasionally back it up with the Motocaddy app on my phone which is very good and best of all it's free!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I quite like the shot tracking feature on Garmin watches, but find watches a pain when your fully waterproofed up trying to get to watch under your layers. That’s what I’m finding more appealing to a handheld but will miss the shot tracking.

You can track shots with the golf shot app

Robin Hood

Visit site
I use a Swami 4000+ very easy to use. I attach it to the handle of my trolley.
I have just been given a Garmin S10 watch for Xmas.
I'll let you know after my round tomorrow as to which I prefer.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The SkyCaddie SX500 is a class apart from anything else on the market at present.
I do think the camera is overkill though and I guess they could have offered it for less without it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just downloaded this app, obviously got to try it on the course yet but looks pretty good

At less than £2, what have you got to lose?
It lasts for 36 holes before needing a recharge, well it does on my phone.
I think you may struggle to do 36 holes with an iPhone though, I gather their batteries are not too good.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shot Scope is good along with a laser for me. They also respond within 48 hours to any errors of yardage on the course and remapped Enville Highgate .
I told Golf Buddy of three errors three and a half years ago and they replied about six weeks ago to say they had sorted the errors out. Unfortunately , they had only done one. That made me feel that I had made the right decision.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have an S4 and S6 (both relegated to the son and the wife respectively) as I now use a Fenix 5X (multi sport watch) and find it knocks socks literally off everything previously.
the screen is clear even in bright sun.

ok its over 500 quid... but that's another story!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've got the Bushnell Neo XS. Had it quite a few years now and still very happy with it. Light, easy to read, includes hazards and not too many gimmicks. I'd recommend it. And the battery is good for at least 36 holes. Light and I never notice I'm wearing it.

I'm not a fan of phone based apps as it can get a bit damp in Scotland so I'd be worried about ruining the phone.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I use a Swami 4000+ very easy to use. I attach it to the handle of my trolley.
I have just been given a Garmin S10 watch for Xmas.
I'll let you know after my round tomorrow as to which I prefer.

So after a round yesterday I really liked the Garmin S10 watch.
It is a budget watch, £120, but gives me all I need to improve course management. It is easy to use and accurate for distances to hazards and greens.
I will be using the S10 instead of the Izzo Swami.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Tom Tom Golfer 2 watch ... it’s basic (front, back and middle), but anything more accurate would be wasted on me. My lengths with each club are not sufficiently consistent for pinpoint distances.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m after a real basic front / middle / back unit as I use a laser as a rule. Wanted for winter golf as-our greens hold well. Like the phantom but would prefer a watch version.

Any suggestions

Wolf

Visit site
Tossing up between the phantom and S10. Anyone got experience of both?
S10 I tried well borrowed my dad's and couldn't get on with due to being a watch and I'm not a watch wearer on the course so I was at odds with it from the start, it gave distances well enough but felt like a lot of faffing about especially in these colder months having to pull back the waterproof jacket sleeve etc and cycling through different options.

I went with the Phantom in the end as found I could clip it to my belt or bag really easily, gave me F/M/B in a nice bold font as well as hazards (lay up) distances for each hole, could easily attached it to a belt, or use the magnet to put on a trolley or a buggy so was much more versatile than just sticking on my wrist. You get other options as well and the free Bushnell app is really good as gives you a whole fly bye as well so you get a few little extras I liked.

But end of day there will be personal pro and cons to each person best to have a good look at your final 2 choices and take the plunge. But if you do go Phantom you won't be disappointed

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
S10 I tried well borrowed my dad's and couldn't get on with due to being a watch and I'm not a watch wearer on the course so I was at odds with it from the start, it gave distances well enough but felt like a lot of faffing about especially in these colder months having to pull back the waterproof jacket sleeve etc and cycling through different options.

I went with the Phantom in the end as found I could clip it to my belt or bag really easily, gave me F/M/B in a nice bold font as well as hazards (lay up) distances for each hole, could easily attached it to a belt, or use the magnet to put on a trolley or a buggy so was much more versatile than just sticking on my wrist. You get other options as well and the free Bushnell app is really good as gives you a whole fly bye as well so you get a few little extras I liked.

But end of day there will be personal pro and cons to each person best to have a good look at your final 2 choices and take the plunge. But if you do go Phantom you won't be disappointed

I was thinking S20 or phantom. My concern is the whole watch under layers of clothes. As I’ve found that a problem with my X40.
Glad to hear good things about the phantom

Robin Hood

Visit site
I was thinking S20 or phantom. My concern is the whole watch under layers of clothes. As I’ve e found that a problem with my X40.
Glad to hear good things about the phantom

I have an S10 and very pleased with it. I understand your issue with it under clothing, however this won't be a problem in the summer ! Or you could attach it to your trolley handle.
Another option is the Garmin G10 that is the clip on version of the S10.
I have a Swami GPS system that I used to clip on my handle. It was a bit too big to keep getting out of my pocket. Great piece of kit, but if you dont get close to the green you have manually move it to the next hole. Recently I cracked the screen by catching it with a 5 iron - gutted.
If I had to choose - the S10 watch wins.

tonys

Visit site
After a new GPS device either watch or handheld what do you guys and girls have and prefer?

I think these are the main things to consider:
  • How much you want to spend?
  • What features do you want/need?
  • Which is best suited to your game?
It's all down to preference really. Do you just want accurate yardage data or do you want to track shots per round, post round analysis, calories burned, etc?

I think a laser rangefinder and free GPS App on your phone is the way to go. I found some GPS watches can be accurate on most holes but find you go to some courses and it can be off on certain holes. But to be fair they're accurate most of the time.

The reason I prefer laser devices is the accuracy. The Laser Rangefinder's are deadly accurate and I think you can trust the yardage a little more, especially for approach shots 100 yards in compared to a GPS watch. Laser rangefinders are easier at getting hazard info (well once you can see it). GPS watches can be annoying to get some hazard info.

GPS watches are generally quick to use. Just a quick glance at your watch and you have the front/middle/back yardages. However, laser rangefinders offer more accurate yardages for approach shots. I know some of the higher spec GPS watches allow you to move the pin position on the green but you are paying top dollar, and the free version of Hole 19 has this option so why pay more?

If you want shot tracking and post round analysis, maybe a GPS watch would be the best option. The Garmin Connect App works with all the premium Garmin GPS watches. It's pretty cool checking your data after a round, but can be horrible to look at on the bad days haha. But it does show you where you need to improve, such as GIR, where you miss fairways, number of putts etc.

For a really good GPS watch, I think you are paying a lot of money when you can get the key info from a free golf GPS App, for example yardages, hazard info & Score tracker. Eventually I sold my GPS watch and got a rangefinder and used the free app GPS app on my phone for back up.

There's some really good laser rangefinders out there now. The TecTecTec VPro 500 is one of the cheapest available online. My brother has one and he loves it. I saw on Amazon it has almost 3000 reviews and it's 4.5. Not bad for £129.

I have the Precision Pro NX7 with the Slope feature. It offers most of the premium features like slope, pin seeker and the vibration pin lock. Seems very well priced to me considering the features it offers for £215. If my vision is blocked to the flag stick, I use the Hole !9 GPS App to check the yardage. The app is also handy for yardages to drains or water hazards. Personally I don't see the point in spending over £450 on the Bushnell Pro X2 for getting some yardages. But that's just me. I know some might disagree.

I found this article helpful finding the right laser rangefinder for me: https://thegolfinglad.com/best-golf-laser-rangefinder/

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
I think these are the main things to consider:
  • How much you want to spend?
  • What features do you want/need?
  • Which is best suited to your game?
It's all down to preference really. Do you just want accurate yardage data or do you want to track shots per round, post round analysis, calories burned, etc?

I think a laser rangefinder and free GPS App on your phone is the way to go. I found some GPS watches can be accurate on most holes but find you go to some courses and it can be off on certain holes. But to be fair they're accurate most of the time.

The reason I prefer laser devices is the accuracy. The Laser Rangefinder's are deadly accurate and I think you can trust the yardage a little more, especially for approach shots 100 yards in compared to a GPS watch. Laser rangefinders are easier at getting hazard info (well once you can see it). GPS watches can be annoying to get some hazard info.

GPS watches are generally quick to use. Just a quick glance at your watch and you have the front/middle/back yardages. However, laser rangefinders offer more accurate yardages for approach shots. I know some of the higher spec GPS watches allow you to move the pin position on the green but you are paying top dollar, and the free version of Hole 19 has this option so why pay more?

If you want shot tracking and post round analysis, maybe a GPS watch would be the best option. The Garmin Connect App works with all the premium Garmin GPS watches. It's pretty cool checking your data after a round, but can be horrible to look at on the bad days haha. But it does show you where you need to improve, such as GIR, where you miss fairways, number of putts etc.

For a really good GPS watch, I think you are paying a lot of money when you can get the key info from a free golf GPS App, for example yardages, hazard info & Score tracker. Eventually I sold my GPS watch and got a rangefinder and used the free app GPS app on my phone for back up.

There's some really good laser rangefinders out there now. The TecTecTec VPro 500 is one of the cheapest available online. My brother has one and he loves it. I saw on Amazon it has almost 3000 reviews and it's 4.5. Not bad for £129.

I have the Precision Pro NX7 with the Slope feature. It offers most of the premium features like slope, pin seeker and the vibration pin lock. Seems very well priced to me considering the features it offers for £215. If my vision is blocked to the flag stick, I use the Hole !9 GPS App to check the yardage. The app is also handy for yardages to drains or water hazards. Personally I don't see the point in spending over £450 on the Bushnell Pro X2 for getting some yardages. But that's just me. I know some might disagree.

I found this article helpful finding the right laser rangefinder for me: https://thegolfinglad.com/best-golf-laser-rangefinder/
Thank you for your reply very very helpful. I have already got a good deal on a Garmin S20 Watch so going with that. Had an X40 but hated the touch screen but like the features Garmin watches have.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone use a Garmin G30 GPS device, see you can get one for £150 which seems ok.
Wanting to attach something to bag rather than a watch.