GPS Watches

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried searching, but it came up with so many results that weren’t about GPS watches, I thought I would start a new topic.

Looking into getting a GPS watch, but the market seems flooded. Whats out there, what have you got...and let’s have some honest reviews, especially about battery life. Does 36 in a day cause difficulties, or does it work perfectly?

for those who say use an Apple Watch...I tried, but it’s just not effective, and had some random
yardages that just wasn’t what was in front of me. Also had signal issues, despite having great reception etc...so there are trust issues!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I don't like wearing a wristwatch while playing golf. I don't wear my wedding band either.
A wristwatch, a wedding ring, and sometimes, not often, either my Sons of Italy ring or my union ring are the only jewelry that I ever wear. No gold chains or anything like that, even though I'm Italian. .

The stand-alone GPS units are preferable to me. A lot smaller than rangefinders.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a Bushnell Neo iON. Brilliant watch. Easily lasts 36 holes, I’ve even got 3 rounds on one charge. Lots of features and very accurate.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was hoping that writing a post and then heading to sleep would allow me to wake up and read a plethora of posts about GPS watches, and then it spawn into a debate about Love, Life and Slow Play....but alas it hasn't!

The Bushnell iON2 was one of the watches I was looking at, alongside the Bushnell Excel and then the Garmin S10. For a brief period of time yesterday, I wondered about the Garmin S60, but battery life isn't the strongest on that apparently!

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The possible issue with using an app on the Apple Watch is that by default the watch will use the GPS signal on the phone, and if you keep your phone in the bag then if you walk away from the bag the yardage will not change. So you either have to carry the phone in your pocket (which is what I do) or ensure the app uses the GPS of the watch. The latter can be achieved sometimes by a setting on the app or if you disconnect the watch from the phone (e.g. put the phone into airplane mode) then the watch will use its own GPS. The issue I have with using the watch GPS is that it drains the watch battery very quickly as it is of low capacity and I have often discharged the watch battery before the end of an 18 hole round.

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
I've used a few Garmin GPS watches and I'm currently using the Approach S40. I much prefer being able to glance at my wrist for basic info etc and I probably don't play enough at other courses to justify the more expensive models. Skycaddy is a great unit but comes with a subscription etc which take it out of my price range.
The only negative I've found with Garmin is their Connect software - so the functionality is great in terms of analysing data, keeping track of all scorecards but I've found it to be a bit unreliable in terms of bugs, syncing with the watch at times and I know there have been some common issues with the latest IOS release for example.

So overall I'd recommend the watch, never had an issue with it, only issues I've had have been in relation to their Apps.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to have a Bushnell Neo but the strap broke and as it was integrated I took it back to American Golf and they exchanged it for a Tom Tom Golfer 2.

I really like the Tom Tom. It's not as sophisticated as some, but has a clear display, showing front middle and back, which is what I primarily refer to. A feature I really like is that it shows distance you have hit your last shot automatically, which is useful to gauge yardages. It has some additional features that might be beneficial including distances to hazards, and can be used to record scores which can be viewed on a tablet or pc later. I use Game Golf too so don't use that. It also has some other features such as steps taken etc.

Battery life is fine, I charge mine before a round and have played 36 holes on a single charge. The strap is not brilliant, but the unit detaches from it for charging and you can buy replacement straps off e-bay for a few pounds so, if like me, you want colour co-ordinated, you can do that easily. Its quite a compact unit too, about the same size as an apple watch, unlike some of those big garmins.

I use a laser for certain shots but love the fact you can just glance at your wrist to see yardages. The distance hit function is also helpful if you go in the rough as it means you have an idea where your ball should be if you know how far you generally hit that club - useful for someone like me :p

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I had a tomtom watch and hated it - I have quite thin wrists (the only part of me that is thin) and found it far too bulky

Dannyc

Visit site
I had the Tom Tom 2 watch for 2 1/2 years thought it was perfect but once the battery packs in that’s it tom Tom don’t do golf stuff anymore so it’s pretty useless
I’ve just had the bushnell watch it’s pretty basic I use it for approach shots into the green
Just bought easy green range finder from groupon 140 quid great buy I use that on the tee for par 3s or I want know dog legs and hazards etc on longer holes

AdamC28

Visit site
The older Apple watched used the phones GPS for the yardage so if you left your phone in the trolley/cart then this could explain the unusual numbers you were seeing.
The new ones have built in GPS and are much more reliable. I use mine with Hole19 without issue.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've used a few Garmin GPS watches and I'm currently using the Approach S40. I much prefer being able to glance at my wrist for basic info etc and I probably don't play enough at other courses to justify the more expensive models. Skycaddy is a great unit but comes with a subscription etc which take it out of my price range.
The only negative I've found with Garmin is their Connect software - so the functionality is great in terms of analysing data, keeping track of all scorecards but I've found it to be a bit unreliable in terms of bugs, syncing with the watch at times and I know there have been some common issues with the latest IOS release for example.

So overall I'd recommend the watch, never had an issue with it, only issues I've had have been in relation to their Apps.

How have you found battery life? I'd want to be able to do a full 36 without issues. I know the S60 struggles, but didn't know if the S40 has the same

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have a Bushnell Neo XS, had a few years now and still very happy with it. Show's front middle and back as well as up to three hazards per hole. Very useful for me to use and so light that I don't even notice I'm wearing it. Battery life, even after all these years, is good for over two rounds.
The newer models allow you to fit conventional straps I believe but as long as you don't fit the strap too tight and put it under pressure, it seems to be OK. At least mine has never snapped over the last 4-5 years I've had it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've just bought an S40 but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. If you need to glance at the Garmin golf app to view the hole layout does the phone need GPS enabled or does it get the position via Bluetooth from the watch? Hope that makes a bit of sense ?

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just bought an S40 but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. If you need to glance at the Garmin golf app to view the hole layout does the phone need GPS enabled or does it get the position via Bluetooth from the watch? Hope that makes a bit of sense ?

yeh the S40 doesn't show the hole layout, i had a previous approach model which did show it and you could drag pointers to parts on the fairway etc to work out specific carry distances. But as I say, I don't play that many courses i don't know anymore and there was a fair uplift in cost to get the higher spec model with hole layout that for me wasn't worth it.

I believe it gets it from the bluetooth on the watch if it's paired as your shots are recorded in the app and you can add what club you hit etc. I don't think it's the phone's GPs that it uses. That's not a statement of fact mind you, just what i believe to be the case!!!

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
How have you found battery life? I'd want to be able to do a full 36 without issues. I know the S60 struggles, but didn't know if the S40 has the same
must admit I've never played consecutive 36 holes with it. I would say my battery is around 40% after 18 holes so i think it should cope with 36 providing you aren't doing anything extra special with it while you play - i literally just read distances and record scores.

sussexhacker

Visit site
I’ve had a garmin vivoactive 3 for about a month or 2 now and I think it’s perfect

Played 9 holes with it last week it went from 100% down to about 85% so I’d say you could easily get 36 holes out of it

I love the software that you can get on your phone to accompany it, very useful info and averages all you clubs distances for you

Plus it’s good for gym/ cycling/ running and about 20 other activities

Dannyc

Visit site
Where did you see that? They are still on the Tom Tom website as current products?
That’s what they told me Via there online chat when I complained that it only lasts 9 holes after 2 1/2 years of having it from brand new
I know another lad who’s battery is in the same state aswell

bradleywedge

Visit site
I have a fairly new Approach S60. I only play 18 holes at a time but for me the battery life has been fine (maybe because it's new?). Battery lasts about 10 days when not in use on the golf course. Usually charge it before a round, and it's still on 50% + after the round, so I would assume it will last another 18 without a charge. Garmin claim this anyway.

I have also had the sensors fitted to the clubs, these are great for stats etc, but the whole lot is a bit pricey and there is cheaper stuff out there. Just been reading about the ShotScope V2 that is a cheaper alternative to the garmin and appears to do many of the same things.