Gps watch

Woggathe boy

Visit site
Hello, this is my first post. I've got a few Christmas pounds and I'm looking at a gps watch. Just after some advice on the garmin S1 which I can get for£90 from direct golf or the sky caddie watch which I can get for £119 from direct golf. The sky caddie has a scorecard which is clearly an extra on the garmin but was more after reliability and accuracy opinion. I see sky caddie has dropped subscription fees which makes it quite tempting. Im not after any gags about getting a fitting just some cold hard rose tinted opinion.

Cheers

Wogga

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello there, I have seen the garmin in use and from what I see you can't go wrong. Measurements to front, middle and back and from what I believe there are accurate. At£90 you can't go wrong.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A mate of mine has got one and he swears by it, a good bit of kit. I've got a garmin s3 which is ok but probably gives too much info when all I want is a basic distance measuring device . Wish I bought the watch instead

Alan P Mills

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the Bushnell Neo watch. Simple I.e. Front, middle and back yardages. Absolutely love it. Don't play without now.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know nothing about the sky caddie, but the s1 is super. So easy to use, fantastic bit of kit. If I was going to be fussy and pull it down; sometimes it takes a while to load up, and it gives the yardages as the crow flies, which can be a struggle on dog-legs.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've got a sky caddie (not the watch version) and got the missus a Garmin S1 for Christmas - we were out yesterday morning and distances between the two never varied more than a couple of yards to the front, middle, back, though the S1 took a couple of seconds longer to settle on the correct distance when we stopped next to the ball - S1 is really simple to use.

Only down side for me is it doesn't do distances to fairway hazards which my skycaddie does - I use that feature a fair bit.

It's a great bit of kit for the price

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
... the s1 is super. So easy to use, fantastic bit of kit. If I was going to be fussy and pull it down; sometimes it takes a while to load up
Interesting to hear about someone else who thinks it's slow to get going. My S1 sometimes seems to hang trying to find the satellites and I reboot it in frustration. Once it's found them, it works just fine. A lot of my mates have S1s, and they don't seem to have the same problem. Perhaps there is a lot of sample variation?

The other thing that slightly bothers me about the S1 is that the strap is not replaceable. So if it breaks, you're stuffed. Interestingly, the S2 has a replaceable strap.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My S3 is the best golfing purchase I have ever made, if you can go the extra mile I'd highly recommend you get the S3 over the S1 :thup:

Woggathe boy

Visit site
Sadly my budget can't reach the heady heights of the S3. I have gone in for the S1 after the positive reviews and placed the order. Hopefully should be here for the new year so that I can work out exactly how far I can't hit the ball. Cheers for all the help.

Ista

Hacker
Visit site
I've got the S3 and it's been an excellent purchase. I use the scorecard function & it's great for distance info without having to interupt actually playing your round which is its biggest selling point. You won't be disappointed.

Woggathe boy

Visit site
I went for the S1 and it arrived today, as most kids with a new toy I want to take it up right now. First of all I need to wait for it to charge up and secondly I've got to download some courses. I think I've done it correctly just wondered if any S1 users could help me. It says it has approx 9,000 courses preprogrammed in, does this mean that's all it can hold and do I have to select courses or once I've done the download does it have all the courses.
Thanks in advance

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know a lot of people with the S1 and never heard anyone say a bad word about it, for £90 I'd say go fro it. I don't know anyone with the SC though so can't really comment on that.