Gps watch

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the Garmin S3 for Xmas off the father in law, used it twice now and really rate it. Love the ease of use and also how you can't tell it's there. I was worried as never wear a watch playing golf but it's so feather weight you can hardly tell. For me it gives me a little extra confidence that I have the right club in my hand as I'm confident of my distances with each club. The scoring ability is a nice touch too.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post. I've got a few Christmas pounds and I'm looking at a gps watch. Just after some advice on the garmin S1 which I can get for£90 from direct golf or the sky caddie watch which I can get for £119 from direct golf. The sky caddie has a scorecard which is clearly an extra on the garmin but was more after reliability and accuracy opinion. I see sky caddie has dropped subscription fees which makes it quite tempting. Im not after any gags about getting a fitting just some cold hard rose tinted opinion.

Cheers

Wogga

I have a Garmin S1 watch and I think it's an excellent bit of kit. Only downside is that you don't get distances to hazards, but you do get pretty accurate distances to the front, middle and back of greens, which most of the time is all you need. :cool:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I went for the S1 and it arrived today, as most kids with a new toy I want to take it up right now. First of all I need to wait for it to charge up and secondly I've got to download some courses. I think I've done it correctly just wondered if any S1 users could help me. It says it has approx 9,000 courses preprogrammed in, does this mean that's all it can hold and do I have to select courses or once I've done the download does it have all the courses.
Thanks in advance

It will pick up the course automatically wherever you are. You don't need to download anything.

BlueFraggle

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have the Garmin S3 watch and it is one of the best things I have bought ... does exactly what I wanted it for

My golf buddy has the S1 and that is also an excellent piece of kit .... not as nice looking as the S3 though :)

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got the S3 myself apart from being brilliant here in the uk it was superb when I was playing in Florida for two weeks!

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Got the Garmin S4 as a mate works for Garmin and got a 50% discount... otherwise would have got the S1. Only had one round with it so far, so maybe need more time to make a true evaluation...but so far so good.

Not sure you would really miss the greenview and scorecard option with the S1... I found the scorecard was a bit fiddly and gave up on it in the end and the stats it recorded not quite as good as my free golfshot app. I used the greenview once... Also a bit too much fiddling around when I was really only interested in the middle of the green.

The next step is measure some of my shots...no use knowing exactly how far the green is away when you don't know how far each club goes.

Measured a couple of drives and they didn't got the 270 yards I was expecting :eek:

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Got the Garmin S4 as a mate works for Garmin and got a 50% discount... otherwise would have got the S1. Only had one round with it so far, so maybe need more time to make a true evaluation...but so far so good.

Not sure you would really miss the greenview and scorecard option with the S1... I found the scorecard was a bit fiddly and gave up on it in the end and the stats it recorded not quite as good as my free golfshot app. I used the greenview once... Also a bit too much fiddling around when I was really only interested in the middle of the green.

The next step is measure some of my shots...no use knowing exactly how far the green is away when you don't know how far each club goes.

Measured a couple of drives and they didn't got the 270 yards I was expecting :eek:

Im sure on a 30 degree day with hard baked fairways you'd managed it!

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
It will pick up the course automatically wherever you are. You don't need to download anything.

Might not be strictly true... the S1 only has 9,000 courses on whereas the others Garmin watches have 30,000 courses preloaded (maybe due to memory size).

Chances are the courses you play will be on it so nothing to do, but otherwise you might have to add your local courses and removes some others.

Mine has some obscure German courses on so would guess that the 9,000 will cover most if not all UK courses.

WhereIsMyBall

Hacker
Visit site
I got the S1 as a Christmas present this year. I know you can measure how far you have hit a shot in yards in course mode but is there any way to change the standard odometer in the menu from 1/10ths of a mile to yards? If so I haven't figured it out.

Reason being we have a decent sized pitch and putt nearby which is usually pretty quiet so you can get away with hitting full wedge shots across it. Was hoping to measure out some distances for practice once the weather improves and the grass gets cut.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
I got the S1 as a Christmas present this year. I know you can measure how far you have hit a shot in yards in course mode but is there any way to change the standard odometer in the menu from 1/10ths of a mile to yards? If so I haven't figured it out.

Reason being we have a decent sized pitch and putt nearby which is usually pretty quiet so you can get away with hitting full wedge shots across it. Was hoping to measure out some distances for practice once the weather improves and the grass gets cut.

How do you measure shot distance? Apart from working out the difference from Tee box to your shot?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you measure shot distance? Apart from working out the difference from Tee box to your shot?

On the S4 at least, there is a button you press at the point where you struck the ball.... you then walk to where your ball ended up and it says how many yards you have hit it... so no working it out. Only tried this is "course mode" so didn't know it wouldn't work when not in course mode.

A suggestion to WhereIsMyBall - maybe just stick it in course mode... ignore which hole it thinks you are on and measure away... end the round when you've finished practicing.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a s3garmin and I like it it's a comfy nice looking watch but I prefer using my range finder when I can it gives you a nice view of the green as we'llwe'll