GPS: Garmin S1 or SkyCaddie Gimmie?

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've always wanted to invest in a GPS/DMD, but never been able to justify the cost. Now that there seem to be some decent budget options (and I've got the card for £20 off at Direct Golf in this week's mag-thanks GM!), I think I'm going to treat myself for Christmas.

I think it's a straight choice between the S1 or the Gimme. Both around £100, neither have ongoing fees, and a similar set of features. I experimented on the range at the weekend and have no real issue playing wearing a watch (which I thought I might).

Anyone got any reasons to choose one over the other?

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
It's my belief that the SkyCaddie doesn't have what they call 'Intelligreen' on the Gimme (it has fixed front centre back yardages) whereas the S1 does have the ability to adjust the front, centre and back relevant to where you are on the hole or if you are on another part of the course/no mans land.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to S1 too and love it. Very simple but gives you yardages to front/middle/back which is all you really need at our level. Very useful on away courses too and so easy to just check a yardage quickly - would highly highly recommend.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
only difference might be Skycaddies are possibly more accurate due to walking the course. I found attaching watch to trolley or bag was better as it looked like I was in a hurry as I kept looking at my watch:rolleyes:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have to S1 too and love it. Very simple but gives you yardages to front/middle/back which is all you really need at our level. Very useful on away courses too and so easy to just check a yardage quickly - would highly highly recommend.
Same here. Even I can use one, assuming I remember to charge it.:whistle:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I've always wanted to invest in a GPS/DMD, but never been able to justify the cost. Now that there seem to be some decent budget options (and I've got the card for £20 off at Direct Golf in this week's mag-thanks GM!), I think I'm going to treat myself for Christmas.

I think it's a straight choice between the S1 or the Gimme. Both around £100, neither have ongoing fees, and a similar set of features. I experimented on the range at the weekend and have no real issue playing wearing a watch (which I thought I might).

Anyone got any reasons to choose one over the other?

Have you input the code to check price yet? DG are quite good at giving discounts on items after they've raised the price.........

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with all above regarding the s1. The only problem I have is it does take a little while to load up. Other than that it's great.

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts folks. Seems like the S1 is the way to go.

Annoyingly Direct Golf are selling it at £119, or £99 for members, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, you can't get the member's price when you're using a voucher.

Sneaky enough that if I do buy it, it will probably be from AG.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
It may be worth keeping an eye on Amazon at 2:00pm as the S1 is on as a black friday deal.
Just don't beat me to it! ;)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the S1, never used one before i got it. Very simple and has improved my game massively.

And your right you cant use a voucher on members price, it reverts back to the normal price then the voucher off that.