GPS - Garmin Forerunner 955

pwc

Visit site
Not sure if this correct area, apologies if not.

Anyone got experience of Garmin devices. I just purchased a Forerunner 955, as only really wanted the basic golf features and doing quite a bit of running.

The manual and website say it's tournament legal, however it has the pinpointer (compass) function that can't be disabled and I think that makes it non compliant for comps.

The approach golf specific watches all have this but they have a tournament mode which disables this and others like slope adjustment it and makes them compliant for comps.

Garmin support not to helpful at all, so thought worth asking here - it's packaged up ready to be returned which is a shame as it's perfect except that!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Using a compass is no longer against the rules.

(1) Distance and Directional Information.
• Allowed. Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a
distance-measuring device or compass).

salfordlad

Visit site
Using a compass is no longer against the rules.

(1) Distance and Directional Information.
• Allowed. Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a
distance-measuring device or compass).
The change in that info relates to a DMD, not a compass - they were already permitted (D14-3/4).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The change in that info relates to a DMD, not a compass - they were already permitted (D14-3/4).

To be pendantic the english reads

dmd or compass.

The decisions were incorporated in to the Rule book - so better to quote a current Rule rather than an 'obsolete' decision.

salfordlad

Visit site
To be pendantic the english reads

dmd or compass.

The decisions were incorporated in to the Rule book - so better to quote a current Rule rather than an 'obsolete' decision.
You suggested, and I quote: "Using a compass is no longer against the rules." That is a misunderstanding, it wasn't against the rules prior to 2019, as the Decision confirms.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You suggested, and I quote: "Using a compass is no longer against the rules." That is a misunderstanding, it wasn't against the rules prior to 2019, as the Decision confirms.
There was a time when it was against the rules.

It was included in the big DMD debate.

When we were asked for suggestions to put forward for the rules changes it was one of mine as direction I considered it to be general knowledge and loads of clubs had 'compass' pointers on their scorecards.