GPS apps and phone accuracy.

inthehole

Hacker
Visit site
I have no doubt about the accuracy of gps apps in themselves but is the accuracy of (or speed updating) the little blue dot ( ie where your phone thinks you are) good enough? ie is the hardware good enough to make the software absolutely accurate?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I have often checked my Hole19 yardage as I'm walking past a 150/100 yard marker. It's never more than 1-2 yards different so I'd say that my phone (Google Pixel 4) is certainly accurate enough for me. Usually agrees with GPS watches too. I'd expect a premium phone to have GPS hardware and software that's at least as good as a budget GPS watch - and probably better.

Springveldt

Visit site
I have no doubt about the accuracy of gps apps in themselves but is the accuracy of (or speed updating) the little blue dot ( ie where your phone thinks you are) good enough? ie is the hardware good enough to make the software absolutely accurate?
Depends what you mean by "absolutely accurate". If you are happy for it to be within 3 yards or so then yes, GPS on your phone should be good enough. If you are hoping for the GPS to be within 1 or 2 feet then nope, GPS isn't there yet.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using Hole19 for years and it's always been good enough for me. Maybe once every two rounds you get one dodgy yardage, but it actually has an indicator saying if the signal is bad, so it's up to you if you trust or wing it.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends what you mean by "absolutely accurate". If you are happy for it to be within 3 yards or so then yes, GPS on your phone should be good enough. If you are hoping for the GPS to be within 1 or 2 feet then nope, GPS isn't there yet.

That limitation will apply to all GPS devices though. A purpose-built GPS golf watch will be no more accurate than a phone. Laser will obviously be more accurate but that's not what the OP was asking.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive used Hole19 for over 350 rounds and never had the app to blame for anything.

Awesome bit of kit if you enter all the info into it, will never go without it!

Smoj

Visit site
I use golfbuddy/smart caddy on my galaxy watch. pretty decent, leave the phone in my bag and all syncs up after the round, so going by my watchs gps it's pretty accurate with the shot tracking, just have to remember to press the button before each shot. nice to look back on each hole and see my shots & yardage.

here is a fantastic skip the fairway and use the other fairway to get to the green using my gps. sadly its very accurate :cool::giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 19

Barking_Mad

Visit site
It's fine for general distance, but for smaller measurements like putting, not worth taking too seriously. Also can be affected by trees, bushes etc.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Another for hole 19. Only a yard out which is as good as GPS gets. The free version on iOS also has native Apple Watch GPS too which means I can put my phone away.