Good open competitions for a solo entrant

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play many opens as a single player, I always enjoyed the experience.

I actually used to prefer the clubs that did not keep players from the same club in the same pairings as it can be a bit isolating when you are amongst players who all know each other.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the guys at the club yesterday was talking about the trilby tour, so I looked it up. You can enter this as a solo if you like.

Seems pretty decent too and you get a sack load of goodies worth more than double the entry fee too!

LOL, do a search for Trilby Tour on the forum, see what comes up.

Crap courses, crap gear, short game wizards, i'd rather spend my 285 nelsons somewhere else. Next weekend we're off to Woodhall Spa, two rounds, B&B for 180 notes. 100 left for a ruby, a few pints and probably a new golf shirt into the bargain

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The "goodies" are only worth double if you actually would be buying them otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't be buying William Hunt clobber and hats, and I don't have a need for a tour bag either.

Also, my plan is to play opens so that I get to play great courses cheaply with good company and in a competitive situation. The Trilby Tour isn't cheap and I don't know much about the courses, but they don't seem like they're worth £285.

The midlands regional Trilby Tour event was recently held at Gaudet Luce, a nice enough course out in the Worcester countyside. Pleasant

£285

Can play it for £15 including burger & chips