Golfnow getting worse

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Used to be a huge fan of what they offered - cheap tee times around the country and despite feeling guilty at times for not contributing to the club, money talked and I continued to use them.

A while ago they annoyed me by changing their policy around use of 'awards earned'. You had to book 3 clear days in advance. My lifestyle dictates last minute choices and sadly this resulted in me loosing my rewards as I rarely was able to plan 3 days in advance.

NOW I got an email to say 'after listening to customers' (what an insult) the rewards can only be used on tee times after 2pm Mon-Thur. I cannot imagine one customer who asked for such a restriction. Its phrasing it like this that really insults me and I imagine many other users. Do they think we are that stupid to believe that they acted on customer feedback. The 3 day in advance is still the same. Oh and they changed how we now earn these £10 rewards - for me the change means less rewards over the year. For some it may mean more, but I suspect the very few.

I will actively look at other options and I hope many others do the same. Only a severe loss of customers will have any affect on their business

Moan over

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It does state an current points will be used as they currently are.

I think the 2pm hing is shocking, but the points per pound is better. I’m pretty sure the average round booked will cost more than £10,
. So most people winning in that way.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use them a good few times a year and I have to say their rewards system was very very good.

You used to get 20 points for every hot deal you booked. So if you booked a 4 ball in a hot deal slot, you got 80 points. Every 100 points was £10 off a round. To me, when I was booking rounds at about £15 each, I was spending £60 to get £10 off which I thought was great. I have to say I haven't used the app in a while and hoping it hasn't changed that much. It is a pity about the Monday-Thursday and after 2pm rule as that is rather terrible and as you mentioned, I highly doubt any customer asked for that. Unless they are talking about the clubs being their customers!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I use them a good few times a year and I have to say their rewards system was very very good.

You used to get 20 points for every hot deal you booked. So if you booked a 4 ball in a hot deal slot, you got 80 points. Every 100 points was £10 off a round. To me, when I was booking rounds at about £15 each, I was spending £60 to get £10 off which I thought was great. I have to say I haven't used the app in a while and hoping it hasn't changed that much. It is a pity about the Monday-Thursday and after 2pm rule as that is rather terrible and as you mentioned, I highly doubt any customer asked for that. Unless they are talking about the clubs being their customers!

I think the point about the clubs is probably right.

In the past I used it when there was no limit on round prices for the offers (with Ag) and managed to play both the 2010 and the Brabazon for a couple ££ top up.

Certain courses now don’t even accept the vouchers. Ashford in my area was the fave place for us to redeem the, they refuse them now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used them for years in the USA but it's rubbish now think clubs are trying to put them out of business.
Bit odd as they get people to these clubs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used them for years in the USA but it's rubbish now think clubs are trying to put them out of business.
Bit odd as they get people to these clubs.

They do but they also made it feasible to play a lot of golf and not be a member of a club. Now that is not in the interests of clubs. Maybe clubs are starting to fight back against the floating golfer who wants all the benefits but without the financial commitment.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd agree. What's in it for the clubs? A few more people playing but the club get very little money and it doesn't really contribute much to the running of the club.
The reality is, clubs need members and not nomads. That's the beauty of being a member at our club. You don't need 3 days notice, you just walk up and play. No booking times or anything like that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They do but they also made it feasible to play a lot of golf and not be a member of a club. Now that is not in the interests of clubs. Maybe clubs are starting to fight back against the floating golfer who wants all the benefits but without the financial commitment.
See your point but we used it for holiday golf in USA so never going to be members but we dealt straight with the clubs this year as their own websites have improved where golf now has got worse.
The cost of membership in the USA is very high and most can't afford it

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to be a huge fan of what they offered - cheap tee times around the country and despite feeling guilty at times for not contributing to the club, money talked and I continued to use them.

A while ago they annoyed me by changing their policy around use of 'awards earned'. You had to book 3 clear days in advance. My lifestyle dictates last minute choices and sadly this resulted in me loosing my rewards as I rarely was able to plan 3 days in advance.

NOW I got an email to say 'after listening to customers' (what an insult) the rewards can only be used on tee times after 2pm Mon-Thur. I cannot imagine one customer who asked for such a restriction. Its phrasing it like this that really insults me and I imagine many other users. Do they think we are that stupid to believe that they acted on customer feedback. The 3 day in advance is still the same. Oh and they changed how we now earn these £10 rewards - for me the change means less rewards over the year. For some it may mean more, but I suspect the very few.

I will actively look at other options and I hope many others do the same. Only a severe loss of customers will have any affect on their business

Moan over

Why does the rewards aspect mean so much to you? Surely a last minute cheap round of golf to suit your needs is the overriding factor for using Golfnow and anything added on is just a bonus. I do use Golfnow but only a couple of times a year if we are staying out of the local area and have a bit of spare time so not even looked at any potential rewards.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why does the rewards aspect mean so much to you? Surely a last minute cheap round of golf to suit your needs is the overriding factor for using Golfnow and anything added on is just a bonus. I do use Golfnow but only a couple of times a year if we are staying out of the local area and have a bit of spare time so not even looked at any potential rewards.

I agree - the primary reason for using is the cheaper round and the rewards are indeed a bonus. In effect there like money off vouchers. If you use Golfnow frequently enough they build up. I have 4 £10 vouchers/rewards there now. The changes have annoyed me as they have rendered the vouchers close to useless. Why wouldn't I want to use such vouchers.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Golf Now can only sell green fees for what our clubs will allow, if it's anyone's fault it's the clubs. I do agree with the comment that maybe clubs are and should dictate higher prices to make membership a little more handsome. Golf wouldn't be anywhere near as good an experience for floaters if it wasn't for the members paying the massive majority of what it takes to keep courses at their high standards. We all need to remember that.