Golfing with automatic watch

Does anyone golf with a automatic watch on and if so have you had any problems with the movement. I always wear a watch and usually AP but heard people say it can damage the movement even though AP sponsor golf events, bit strange if you ask me. Anyway don't want to be damaging my watches and getting big service charge, so though this might be the best place to ask ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone golf with a automatic watch on and if so have you had any problems with the movement. I always wear a watch and usually AP but heard people say it can damage the movement even though AP sponsor golf events, bit strange if you ask me. Anyway don't want to be damaging my watches and getting big service charge, so though this might be the best place to ask ?

Nice watch, always understood that the stresses that would be placed on a automatic watch from impact etc... Meant they were best left off the wrist, one reason you don't see the pro's wear them, so I always leave mind in the locker at home, though happy to be corrected.

GBCAnd

From experience, it will vary from watch to watch.
Some will perform best with gentle, constant movement, some will withstand the unusual violence of a golf swing.

Best advice is take it off, 2nd advice is ask a the manufacturer.

Great question from someone who hasn't bought any clubs yet ?
Lol ill be swinging like a pro tomorrow. Just asking cause I always have a watch on and wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving in a locker, just because theres aways a sign saying if they get robbed tuff luck. Any one from glasgow, i was at the nuffield gym in giffnock last year. Someone was coming in every now and again and had a ghost key for the lockers. Gym couldn’t work out who it was cause no cameras in changing rooms. Police got involved not sure if they ever got the perso.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played wearing my self winding watch for over 40 years and never had an issue. As the self winding mechanism is a counterweight, it will remain pretty static during the golf swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You notice most pros take their watches off when they are playing.

I do not know about particular makes but my own experience with a Seiko tells me you should not wear one when playing.

I used to go to the range during my lunchtime on a fairly regular basis. One day the MD asked me why I kept coming back in late from lunch. I am not I said but then checked my watch against his. I was losing about 10 minutes with every range session.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I started playing I had a Timex - always took it off when playing. Just got in the way - and didn't wish to risk damaging it's precision engineering ;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine isn't automatic, but I always play in one of my Citizens, and a guy in my swindle always plays in his automatic Omega. I doubt any harm will be done to it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Remember the ads for Timex where they attached a watch to a horse's fetlock before a gallop, and to a boat's propeller?
Vaguely - however I have a strong visual memory of being given my Timex - my first watch. I guess I wasn't ten - but of course back then outside of school knowing the time accurately usually didn't matter...I played football with the kids in the road until it got dark, or took myself across the road into a private school's playing field to hit a golf ball or kick a rugby ball about. But I found I didn't like wearing my Timex when playing golf - and haven't since. And so when I got an automatic Rotary for my 21st that too was removed when playing.

I haven't worn a watch for maybe 25yrs and have never 'got' the expensive watch thing so can't really help our OP question I'm afraid - but it has brought back memories of that Timex :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Tag Aquaracer auto It’s quite chunky.
I just find it gets caught in my sleeve if I play in it so never do.
I would imagine if a watch is robust enough golf should not damage it or we would have no bones left in our wrists.
Just put it in your valuables pocket in your bag.