Golfing regression

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Done this. If you read any of my posts not done much practice or played as I hurt my back before Christmas. Only just getting back into regular practice and so can start to work on the shorter swing initially and then go from there. Resent any implication that I have simply ignored the advice given. As said in my videos and on here, these are going to be major changes after 30+ years of doing it wrong so need to take my time, make sure I'm fully fit and take it step by step

And that completely contradicts the advice you're giving four posts earlier on this thread. Practice what you preach!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done this. If you read any of my posts not done much practice or played as I hurt my back before Christmas. Only just getting back into regular practice and so can start to work on the shorter swing initially and then go from there. Resent any implication that I have simply ignored the advice given. As said in my videos and on here, these are going to be major changes after 30+ years of doing it wrong so need to take my time, make sure I'm fully fit and take it step by step
This is 100% on topic & may shed some light to the OP. What do you think is different now/10 years ago vs when you were off 4 and an assistant pro?
Peoples handicaps change, I accept that, but something fundamental must have changed for you??
It can be all about physical capabilities as 70 year olds at my place play off single figs.
What did you change? And why can’t you just go back to it??

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're really struggling with strike, it might be worth spending a bit of time on the range than on the course. When you start feeling an improvement, venture back out.

As you may have gathered, golf is full of ups and downs. Learning how to manage them and move forward is an important and difficult part of the learning process. Good luck!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I try and fool my brain. So much of this game is between the ears. Playing bad, think negative/worry your going to top/shank it again and I would bet you will.

When my swing goes of I try and fool my brain into ignoring it. I know that the real swing is in their and likely to come out quickly if I believe I'm playing well/sailing on a curve of confidence. I try and override any negative concerns when I'm over the ball by drowning my memory with repeated positive thoughts (lies at times). If you think of the times when your hitting the ball really well. You stand over the next ball with confidence and think little about swing thoughts. Boom away it goes and repeat and repeat. Well when the opposite is happening I stand over the ball and try and brainwash my brain with similar repeated thoughts such as, boy are you hitting this well, I'm driving beautifully today, your smashing this etc etc. I appreciate this may sound a little silly, but it works for me. In short I'm lying to my brain, but I do it repeatedly until it believes it and transfers to my body and therefore shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I try and fool my brain. So much of this game is between the ears. Playing bad, think negative/worry your going to top/shank it again and I would bet you will.

When my swing goes of I try and fool my brain into ignoring it. I know that the real swing is in their and likely to come out quickly if I believe I'm playing well/sailing on a curve of confidence. I try and override any negative concerns when I'm over the ball by drowning my memory with repeated positive thoughts (lies at times). If you think of the times when your hitting the ball really well. You stand over the next ball with confidence and think little about swing thoughts. Boom away it goes and repeat and repeat. Well when the opposite is happening I stand over the ball and try and brainwash my brain with similar repeated thoughts such as, boy are you hitting this well, I'm driving beautifully today, your smashing this etc etc. I appreciate this may sound a little silly, but it works for me. In short I'm lying to my brain, but I do it repeatedly until it believes it and transfers to my body and therefore shot.

Are you Karl pilkington ;)

I get what you mean though, basically trying to get yourself into a happy/confident/positive state of mind despite any poor shots you've hit

Just take a look at what happened to Southgate in Oman yesterday to see someone letting their poor shots get to them

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Learn to have some compassion for yourself. Even for a tour player the difference between a really good day and a really bad day can be as much as 20 shots. And that is someone, who spends a large amount of his or her time on the course and on the driving range and has done so for years and years and years. The gap is even bigger for a high handicapped amateur. Bad days in golf do happen. To everyone, no matter at what level you play. They are not neccessarily a sign of regression. Don't panic, let it go and instead of playing for a score, just try to enjoy the weather, the company or the occasional good putt during that round.

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome to the world of golf, it is a tad annoying!!

Golf is a game of fine margins, a few degrees open/close/club path etc different and the results are a lot different. We all have terrible days etc, some days its like I have not played before and I can hook or slice the ball by 30 + yards, hit the ball massively fat or top the ball. Even when putting(that from an outsider looks simple) some days I putt great and others I may as well be putting with chopsticks.

Personally I love the ups and downs that golf brings, its a great up and down feeling. Its what makes me keep coming back. Laugh on the bad days and ride the wave on good days:D

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Golf is a game of fine margins, a few degrees open/close/club path etc different and the results are a lot different. We all have terrible days etc, some days its like I have not played before and I can hook or slice the ball by 30 + yards, hit the ball massively fat or top the ball. Even when putting(that from an outsider looks simple) some days I putt great and others I may as well be putting with chopsticks.

Personally I love the ups and downs that golf brings, its a great up and down feeling. Its what makes me keep coming back. Laugh on the bad days and ride the wave on good days:D

Totally this.

I'm out with my mates playing golf, could be good or could be bad golf but I'm out playing. If it's good then enjoy it, if it's bad then just ride it out, have a laugh at the horrendous shot(s) you've taken and move on.

If you have enough time and desire to get better have a lesson and practice, if you haven't then your golf is going to be indifferent but enjoy playing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry guys should have been more clear on my original post. I will be having more lessons and appreciate how difficult the game is, what I was meant to ask was how do you overcome the psychological aspect of having a dip in quality/confidence, at the moment I feel like my shot will be rubbish before I begin my swing.

As others have said - but I can re-iterate - Acceptance. Acceptance is absolutely core to playing the game of golf at whatever level you are playing at - from absolute beginner to Open winner. The top pros have largely got it under control - whilst we at lower rungs of the ladder just have to learn wheat acceptance means for us each individually - specifically at our own level and our own ability - and in respect of level and ability, the other most important word for me - Expectation - and how we manage our own expectation in the context of our own level and ability.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Learn to have some compassion for yourself. Even for a tour player the difference between a really good day and a really bad day can be as much as 20 shots. And that is someone, who spends a large amount of his or her time on the course and on the driving range and has done so for years and years and years. The gap is even bigger for a high handicapped amateur. Bad days in golf do happen. To everyone, no matter at what level you play. They are not neccessarily a sign of regression. Don't panic, let it go and instead of playing for a score, just try to enjoy the weather, the company or the occasional good putt during that round.

So true, I always get really annoyed at my self for a wayward drive, then remember that the best pros so legends of the game have been deep I the trees and have a massive slice or hook.

Just got to remember that golf is a bloody hard game that very few master. Good time will come and good times will go, just need to remember that they will come when you are in a slump

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Think you've summed it up perfectly. Those good days when it feels so easy make the bad ones bearable. I love the challenge and you simply have to forget the bad days and enjoy the good ones.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ridiculous statement. If I did that I'd be in the nut house by now !:thup:

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well chaps,

Been out today and had one of the best rounds I have had since I started, hit a considerable amount of good shots and only a few real stinkers.

It really is a crazy game.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys should have been more clear on my original post. I will be having more lessons and appreciate how difficult the game is, what I was meant to ask was how do you overcome the psychological aspect of having a dip in quality/confidence, at the moment I feel like my shot will be rubbish before I begin my swing.

I'm not sure you ever overcome it as such, more come to terms with it and learn how to deal with the negative thoughts. I found that reading Bob Rotella's books helped me, he's done half a dozen or more on different areas of the game and you should be able to get them relatively cheap from Amazon.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I once played with a guy who wanted to walk off at the 9th during a medal after realising he wasn’t making buffer zone. There were only 2 of us in the group & he was clearly annoyed that I wanted to continue.

I wasnt playing particularly well, but may not have gotten another game of golf in for a week. And had paid into the 2s as well.

We we played the next few holes and caught up with a group ahead with only 2 players and he asked me to join them, gave me my card & walked off from the 12th hole.

not really sure what he hoped to achieve by walking off. He certainly wasn’t going to get any better.