Golfing Pressures

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm crap so lose loads of balls irrespective of the course. Although it does not help that my course is quite tight lots of OOB and rough that seems to be able to perform magic tricks with the ball.

In terms of pressure it is the first tee for me. If I am going to duff one it will always be where a crowd is most likely to be. Becoming a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll give you golfing pressure...

July 2011, just a few weeks after doing my aimpoint course...a load of us who were active on Golf Magic organised a day out at Worksop GC. (Crazy face may remember... I'm pretty sure I played with him... ooh err).

Anyway I'd been waxing lyrical about aimpoint and had written an article for the Golf Magic website (can still be found but what I wrote was edited to hell and back along with adding some shocking grammatical errors... only 30% of what I wrote was actually published... the rest came from the editors and to be honest I'd rather my name hadn't been associated with the article!!)... Worksop was the first "public" outing of me using aimpoint.

I used it reasonably successfully during the round and eventually found myself stood over a 9ft putt on the par 3 eighteenth, as I was in the last group the rest of the party, some 20 odd golfers gathered on the terrace to watch me in action using this new fangled aimpoint thingy.

Went through the routine and deduced there was about 7 inches of break.

Someone in the crowd may have commented (if they didn't I bet they were secretly thinking it) about now seeing if this aimpoint crap was any good.

I NAILED THE SUCKER!!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Today I faced pressure on the course like I’ve never felt before.

Having not played for a while (holidays, new dog, work etc) I managed to get out early this morning at my club. Safe to say I was dreadful and really struggled.

I got into a situation where I’d lost all the balls in my bag bar one had to play the remaining 5 holes with an swful swing and only one ball!!

Luckily I survived (just!!!)

Anyone had similar or what have been the biggest pressures you’ve face?

Best thing to do it go onto a driver hole with rough / trees down the right. even better if it is OB. You will have a good chance of finding a few balls between 160 and 200 yards from the tee as a lot of people tend to carve a few tee shots right.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
7 or 8 years ago I won a GM competition to play in a 5 hole scramble with David Howell, our esteemed leader MikeH and a senior box from Nevada Bob's at Bearwood. Messers Stenson, Kjeldson and Nominees were the other team Captains.
We were first off and Sky were covering it.
First tee shot with about 40 strangers and several cameras watching me.......I was the only one to make the fairway ( just left of centre) and we went on to win:clap:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
, some 20 odd golfers gathered on the terrace to watch me in action using this new fangled aimpoint thingy.

Went through the routine and deduced there was about 7 inches of break.

Someone in the crowd may have commented (if they didn't I bet they were secretly thinking it) about now seeing if this aimpoint crap was any good.

Yes dad's can be like that

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in a 4 man Texas scramble on the first tee OB to the left protection fence to the right
1st player OB
2nd player tops the ball 20 yards off the tee
3rd player hits an upright on the protection fence and the ball ends up behind us
My driver goes back in the bag and my aim point becomes the adjoining fairway, safely achieved.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson of pro , next comp topped tee shot never even got to the ladies tee.
40/50 people in conservatory on 1st tee .
The next shot was a pressure shot , all ok fortunately pared it, but everyone who asked “what happened there” I just answered easy par!!!.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was paired up with 3 guys in the States who asked if I wanted to play for money. I had 20 dollars in my wallet (approx 12 pounds at the time) which I thought was plenty. At the turn I was 90 dollars down :eek:

I had a good back 9 and came out of the game 10 dollars up. Probably the most pressure I have felt on a golf course :D

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
7 or 8 years ago I won a GM competition to play in a 5 hole scramble with David Howell, our esteemed leader MikeH and a senior box from Nevada Bob's at Bearwood. Messers Stenson, Kjeldson and Nominees were the other team Captains.
We were first off and Sky were covering it.
First tee shot with about 40 strangers and several cameras watching me.......I was the only one to make the fairway ( just left of centre) and we went on to win:clap:

Yes, but nobody else decided to play safe and knob it just past the ladies tee and onto the fairway😱🤷*♂️😂😜👍

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can relate to this, a few years back, I said I was going to get to single figure HC, I was off 17 at the time, the season had just finished and I was shooting low 80's, everything was good, no reason why I couldn't push in the new season and keep the going down, but one thing and another put paid to that and each time I went onto the course the pressure to shoot a low score killed me. My game was woeful, everything that was in place from the previous season was gone, I put so much pressure on myself to get to single figures, I finished the season on 18 HC and I hated the game.

Now I play off 20, couldn't give a toss one way or the other about my HC, some days are good some are rubbish, but the way I look at it now, is I'm not working, I'm out in the fresh air with mates, the piss taking and banter is brilliant, I'm just out enjoying playing golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can relate to this, a few years back, I said I was going to get to single figure HC, I was off 17 at the time, the season had just finished and I was shooting low 80's, everything was good, no reason why I couldn't push in the new season and keep the going down, but one thing and another put paid to that and each time I went onto the course the pressure to shoot a low score killed me. My game was woeful, everything that was in place from the previous season was gone, I put so much pressure on myself to get to single figures, I finished the season on 18 HC and I hated the game.

Now I play off 20, couldn't give a toss one way or the other about my HC, some days are good some are rubbish, but the way I look at it now, is I'm not working, I'm out in the fresh air with mates, the piss taking and banter is brilliant, I'm just out enjoying playing golf.
This is the correct attitude.
Played today with a lad 20yrs younger than me he had a pacemaker and Parkinson’s.
We really enjoyed it good banter .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Teeing off in front of the balcony at Blackmoor full of forum members is a nervy affair. Not as much though as a GM event and having their snapper kneeling about ten yards in front of you and only just to the right of the tee box. Honestly thought I was going to hit it straight right and low and take his head off. I wanted him to move but was too scared to say anything. Hit a big high slice instead

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was paired up with 3 guys in the States who asked if I wanted to play for money. I had 20 dollars in my wallet (approx 12 pounds at the time) which I thought was plenty. At the turn I was 90 dollars down :eek:

I had a good back 9 and came out of the game 10 dollars up. Probably the most pressure I have felt on a golf course :D

Sounds like the old tale/myth of the stranger playing for the Sunningdale 5, turned out to be for £5000:eek:

BTW , I don't hit them far enough to lose them :eek:

Last edited: