Golfing Pressures

Saville85

Hacker
Visit site
Today I faced pressure on the course like I’ve never felt before.

Having not played for a while (holidays, new dog, work etc) I managed to get out early this morning at my club. Safe to say I was dreadful and really struggled.

I got into a situation where I’d lost all the balls in my bag bar one had to play the remaining 5 holes with an swful swing and only one ball!!

Luckily I survived (just!!!)

Anyone had similar or what have been the biggest pressures you’ve face?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Having not played for a while (holidays, new dog, work etc) I managed to get out early this morning at my club. Safe to say I was dreadful and really struggled.

I got into a situation where I’d lost all the balls in my bag bar one had to play the remaining 5 holes with an swful swing and only one ball!!

playing in a league match, I got down to 1 ball, on the 18th, dormie 1 down, par 3 over water. Knees were knocking on that shot. Got it on the green and parred it. But unfortunately oppo holed an 8 footer for the half so lost 1 dwn

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

On your own?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many balls are you guys carrying in your bags?? Not many or are you losing a hell of a lot of balls? I always have at least 3 'nice' ones (i.e. ones I've purchased) in there, plus probably 4 or 5 of the more decent ones I've found and picked up. I've never been in danger of actually running out of balls even on my worst day.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ha! I'm always paranoid this is going to happen to me. I don't lose many but always make sure I have half a dozen premium balls and quite a few others in the bag. 🤷🏻*♂

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only two moments, strangle my neather in club matches as we wrapped those up by the 16th usually.

The first was an 8 footer for birdie in front of a veranda of about half the field, maybe more plus all those around on the day of the club champs.

The second was a downhill curly putt to win my first ever knockout match. It would have been gimmie length if not for the amount of turn involved!

Both holes thankfully and the only reason I remember the pressure is because I was able to put it to one side while I took the shot. The feeling after of letting the emotion go was very exilerating.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
How many balls are you guys carrying in your bags?? Not many or are you losing a hell of a lot of balls? I always have at least 3 'nice' ones (i.e. ones I've purchased) in there, plus probably 4 or 5 of the more decent ones I've found and picked up. I've never been in danger of actually running out of balls even on my worst day.

On a recent round I was pull hooking absolutely everything and actually lost 12 balls in total - had to use some I found on the day and borrow a couple from the people I was playing with. Not a good day.

I think the most pressure I've ever felt on the course was on the 1st tee at a charity day with a silly amount of people watching but I took my 'go-to' club and smoked one down the middle of the fairway!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect I never leave home with less that 20 balls in my bag. I may only lose 1 or 2 at most but there is no way I want to be getting another ball out and seeing it being the last one.

Worst pressure situations have always been 1st tee ones with lots of people stood around. I have never got to a last ball situation, see above :D

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st tee shot in my first ever club comp 30 years ago with everyone stood around the 1st tee. My legs were physically shaking. I have faced much tougher shots since and it has never happened again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a recent round I was pull hooking absolutely everything and actually lost 12 balls in total - had to use some I found on the day and borrow a couple from the people I was playing with. Not a good day.

I think the most pressure I've ever felt on the course was on the 1st tee at a charity day with a silly amount of people watching but I took my 'go-to' club and smoked one down the middle of the fairway!
Wow, that's insane. I've never lost more than about 4 balls on a round I don't think. But that's probably because my bad shots are usually tops and thins, rather than wild hooks or slices.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow, that's insane. I've never lost more than about 4 balls on a round I don't think. But that's probably because my bad shots are usually tops and thins, rather than wild hooks or slices.

I think it is very much course dependent. My current course is fairly open with few obstructions in front of the tee. It is common for me to end with the same ball that I started with. My previous club was tighter, rough was thicker, 3 of the par 3's had water in front or to the side of the greens. It was not tricky to lose 4-5 balls without really hitting a bad shot.

I recently played at a couple of Mackenzie courses in N.Yorkshire. One of his signature designs is thick rough in front of the tee for a good 50yds or so. More on some holes, less on others. If you top or thin then you could lose a good number of balls on his type of course.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

It didn't help that this was at Magnolia Park GC and there is a lot of water there and a lot of trees, just a bad mix of circumstances on the day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often go out on our 9 hole course with just two clubs and two balls 2nd shot on the 3rd is across a weir pool and once I had to go scavaging around in the rough so that I could carry on. Luckily from when I go just walking round the course I know the best places to look.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many balls are you guys carrying in your bags?? Not many or are you losing a hell of a lot of balls? I always have at least 3 'nice' ones (i.e. ones I've purchased) in there, plus probably 4 or 5 of the more decent ones I've found and picked up. I've never been in danger of actually running out of balls even on my worst day.[/QU

Normally I have only got 5/6 balls in the and very rarely lose a ball on our 18 hole course probably about one in every 4 rounds (and with that you know it's commentators curse next time I play).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Without slagging off your course (because we need all kinds) even sliced/hooks will hit those thick trees and drop before going too far offline and appear playable underneath it seems, and your topped tee shots are just going into 1st cut rough, I see a few ditches but not really anywhere serious to lose a ball (wish I had that just now with my wild driving as it currently is)

Too often I'm losing them in knee length grass in front of tees, or worse forced carries up to 170m, or water hazards, and then left/right there's waste areas strewn with lava rock that will send your ball off in any direction 50 yards from where you thought it was and often completely unplayable if you do spot it

My biggest pressure I remember was putting out on the last hole for 36 points playing to handicap for the very first time with no blobs & no lost balls (on a course where I first scored 9pts and lost a good number of balls!)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without slagging off your course (because we need all kinds) even sliced/hooks will hit those thick trees and drop before going too far offline and appear playable underneath it seems, and your topped tee shots are just going into 1st cut rough, I see a few ditches but not really anywhere serious to lose a ball (wish I had that just now with my wild driving as it currently is)

Too often I'm losing them in knee length grass in front of tees, or worse forced carries up to 170m, or water hazards, and then left/right there's waste areas strewn with lava rock that will send your ball off in any direction 50 yards from where you thought it was and often completely unplayable if you do spot it
You're not wrong, but there's still plenty of places I could hit it that it definitely wouldn't be coming back from. :D

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Boys holiday in Cornwall, 24 of us there, in the last group on last day. Knew I was in contention on last day, wasn't feeling it. Until walking up 18th with a tricky approach, suddenly legs turned to jelly for no reason. Remember it clearly it was stupid. Skanked it on the green two shaky putts and won, but have never forgotten my body just taking over and shaking for no apparent reason.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
1st tee shot in my first ever club comp 30 years ago with everyone stood around the 1st tee. My legs were physically shaking. I have faced much tougher shots since and it has never happened again.

Junior league matches when I were a lad were usually pretty low key affairs, rounds of golf then sausage, beans, and chips afterwards.

Playing at Exeter Golf & Country Club, as I got to the first tee to tee off, got told to wait as an announcer got up and properly announced me on the tee, to applause from the 20 odd people watching.

Did not feel good taking that shot which I hit 100 yards into the trees. Oh the shame.

Next shot I flushed a 5 wood onto the front edge of the green, but the people on the tee and the announcer were busy sorting out the next group