Golfers you take a shine to..and those you don't!

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Reading some of the comments on the Jason Day thread got me thinking which golfers i like watching and which i do not.

Personally, i like watching

Speith - Always has a winners mentality
Day - Seems a great guy, always comes across well in interviews
Louis - Great swing, and seems a genuinely nice person

Personal dislikes

Bubba - mostly for the fact he blames everyone but himself for bad shots
Kuchar - For some reason its his smile...
Zach Johnson - cant out my finger on what it is but i've never warmed to him (made worse when he beat Louis at the Open)

Over to you guys..

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Like stenson, day,d Johnson the players that go for stuff.Dont dislike many.
The main's ones would be keegan Bradley and Jim furyk just to slow for me.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
No disrespect to the op but these threads just turn into hate threads.

I can never understand why someone dislikes someone winning just because.

Also people seem to hate people winning that they have never met this just baffles me even more.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No disrespect to the op but these threads just turn into hate threads.

I can never understand why someone dislikes someone winning just because.

Also people seem to hate people winning that they have never met this just baffles me even more.

In all walks of life you have feelings, whether good or bad, towards people or things that you may never have met or seen. MPs get a bad light yet most haters have never met any of them!

It's a light hearted thread to see who people enjoy watching and those they don't.

Sorry if it's not your cup of tea but respect your thoughts on it

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have no time for the god botherers, so that's zach, bubba, and Speith gone then. It started with langer, and then moved to Lehman. It seems like cheating to me. There's no pressure to deal with, God either wants them to win, or he doesn't. It's zip all to do with the player concerned, just gods will.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
While I don't have a particular affection to Americans, I find myself cheering on Ryan Moore. Sadly he's not gotten involved in too many events of late, but he has a unique swing & quirky style.
Makes a good change from many of the other clones that we see.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My friend volunteered at an big tournament a few years ago, holding a sign or something at a tee, it may have even been an open. He got to see the players close and personal, some even striking up a conversation with him.

The he ones he said were the nicest, were Fred Couples, Phil Mickleson and Tiger Woods. He said the British players, with the exception of Poulter were all down to earth and nice guys, particularly Westwood and Donald.

The ones he said weren't too nice, were Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, and Mickleson's caddy, if that counts.

Personally, Fred Couples looks cool as hell, and I like the way Luke Donald saunters around the course. The way Phil Mickleson acknowledges the crowd always makes me smile. Also, you can't help but think that Angel Cabrera looks like a some sort of Columbian drug-baron from Magnum PI or something. I'm not keen on Bubba Watson, because he thinks he is hilarious (watch his videos on YouTube, I dare you!).

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Don't really like anyone wh has to mention God in their acceptance speech. For some reason I really don't like watching Ogilvy or Allenby probably because I can never remember who's who :D (and they both seem to be miserable gits most of the time)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't really like anyone wh has to mention God in their acceptance speech. For some reason I really don't like watching Ogilvy or Allenby probably because I can never remember who's who :D (and they both seem to be miserable gits most of the time)

By all accounts Ogilvy is supposed to be one of, if not the nicest golfer on tour. He's been on a few podcasts recently and seems like a great guy.

I really dislike Bubba, and up until last year disliked Fowler because there was no doubt about it, he was overrated. However, he is dragging a number of juniors into the game now which is great. However, if your a grown man and wearing his clothing you need drowning

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There's plenty I like, and a few whose interviews I find cringeworthy. Can't say I know any of them well enough to say I dislike them - more a case of I'll go and make a coffee whilst they have the microphone in front of them.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

How can u mix them up?
They look nothing the same. One spends time with crowds, contributes to golf media with articulate and insightful articles.
And the other brings golf to the forefront of news for all the wrong reasons .

Granted, I'm geoffs biggest fan.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
My favourite golfer is probably Rose, really admire how he stayed determined through his bad run and he seems so down to earth and focused.
Other than that its the usuals - Day, Fowler, Westy, Rory, Lefty, Louis Oust, Donald and more recently Shane Lowry; who seems to just be happy to be playing golf for his job and having a good laugh with everyone whilst doing it.
Another player to admire is Padraig who is one of the hardest working players on tour...never gives up and plays every shot like its life or death.
Can't help but like the Molinari's as well, as me and my brother often get compared to them as we both are laid-back players but when we play together we have that Italian fire inside of us that comes out every now and again.
Of the new kids coming through I like Fitzpatrick as he seems quite humble.
And of course the daddy of them all - Jimenez. What a legend.

Don't really have much time for Keegan, Kuchar, Furyk, Dufner or Z Johnson. Monty gets on my wick as well when he is commentating, and I will never forget being a young kid waiting with all my mates at the Forest of Arden practice range for Monty to sign our caps and programmes...he walked across in front of us signed one thing and told a security guard "no more...clear them out my way". So instead we ran over to Westwood who signed everything we had.

Anyone who dislikes Poulter has clearly never met him, the guy is so laid back and easy to talk to. He was at Woburn the other month when I was there and was talking to everyone in the pro shop and on the new practice range. A few lads from work won a round with him and he was a great laugh the whole way round. He's a top bloke and puts so much into the junior game which goes unnoticed just because he posts pics of flash cars.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I like Jimenez,Garcia,Mcilroy,Day,Stenson,Oosthuizen,Charlie Hull,lexi Thompson,Michelle Wie. Amongst others

Not too keen on Bubba,Mickelson,G Mac,Bradley.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
For some reason I can't be doing with Kevin Na. No idea why, is not like he's stolen my wife or anything like that. Also Poulter winds me up most of the time, although I respect the charity work he does.

Do like most of the rest, especially Westwood, Rose, Bubba, Carly Booth and Big Phil.