Golf tournaments and society days

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums - I think this is only my 3rd post so far. I'm also new to golf in the uk and need some help.

I moved to Canada when I was 19 and took up golf at 21. Moving back to London at 26 I basically stopped playing until now (10 years on). Finally 100% addicted again - I need some advice on how to get involved in as many tourneys etc as possible since the whole system is very different from over there.

How can I get involved in some Amateur tournaments? I've read about the Volvo Amateur Tour, but its very pricey - is there something similar a bit cheaper? How can I get involved in Society days? I work in IT and there's absolutely no work golf events like many people seem to get so I'm on my own. I am a member of a golf club in Surrey but I'd like to play some other courses once in a while.

Any advice much appreciated.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best way is to get involved in your club as much as you can.
Enter the comps and sooner or later you will meet someone who plays in some opens,and hopefully he will invite you.
Also ask if anyone runs a society at your course,im sure there will be someone.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep an eye on the 'arrange a game' forum on here. There are usually plenty of opportunities to play some very good courses at members rates and meet some right plonkers too :D

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks a lot for all the replies.

In answer to a couple of questions -

Regarding Trilby Tour, I'm scheduled to play at the Goodwood event on July 21st, already getting nervous about the cameras...
Played in a qualifier at Farleigh too but had a horrific round.

Regarding where in Surrey I play - I'm lucky to be a member at St. Georges Hill in Weybridge, but I live in London.

I'll check out the site listed above and keep an eye on the arrange a game thread. Thanks again.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regarding Trilby Tour, I'm scheduled to play at the Goodwood event on July 21st, already getting nervous about the cameras...
Hi gregolf,

I'm also playing the TT on July 21st at Goodwood. I have a practice game arranged the day before with my caddie at 13:30. I just checked and they've added another player so if you wanted to join us for a practice round it looks like there's still a space and you're more than welcome.

We're then staying at the Hotel for the TT the next day.

If you want to book, their number is 01243 755133 and its £45 for a round.

Cheers
Rick

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi gregolf,

I'm also playing the TT on July 21st at Goodwood. I have a practice game arranged the day before with my caddie at 13:30. I just checked and they've added another player so if you wanted to join us for a practice round it looks like there's still a space and you're more than welcome.

We're then staying at the Hotel for the TT the next day.

If you want to book, their number is 01243 755133 and its £45 for a round.

Cheers
Rick

oh nice one, thanks a lot. I've only booked a day off for the event, if I can manage to take another day off I'd love to join. Will have to speak to my boss... and then my real boss at home.