Golf technology & data analysis

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just had a skim read through the article. Will read more thoroughly later. Very interesting.
Distance from where you miss 50% of your putts. I've been telling club members something along that theme for years.
Before a game, I noticed the vast majority of players on the putting green, putting from what I call a "safe" distance. That is: a distance from where they can easily forgive themselves if they miss. I call this "practicing missing putts."
I tell them to do this routine. Take two balls and putt from 3 feet. Repeat. If you miss one start counting again until you have holed 8 in a row. Then, start routine again from 6 feet.
I tell them that they will change from practicing missing putts to practicing holing putts.
It could still be worthwhile practicing a few long ones if you have time.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From my perspective, and I don't know if the stats back this up or not, I practice the longer putts more than the short ones.
I think most 3 putts are caused by a poor 1st putt.
I concentrate on the 15 to 25 footers that I am regularly going to get on the course and make sure the first putt is close enough to almost eliminate the possibility of the 3 putt.
Practicing 3 footers is fine as long as you can get the ball to 3 feet in the first place.
If its taken you 2 putts to get there then you're practising the wrong thing.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
From my perspective, and I don't know if the stats back this up or not, I practice the longer putts more than the short ones.
I think most 3 putts are caused by a poor 1st putt.
I concentrate on the 15 to 25 footers that I am regularly going to get on the course and make sure the first putt is close enough to almost eliminate the possibility of the 3 putt.
Practicing 3 footers is fine as long as you can get the ball to 3 feet in the first place.
If its taken you 2 putts to get there then you're practising the wrong thing.
Depends where you perceive your 50% miss distance is or whether you perceive yourself as a too frequent 3-putter from 20 feet plus. It seems to me that you are very self-aware of any weakness in your putting and doing practice that suits you. Commendable.
The article seems to suggest that most of us would benefit by practicing holing out from shorter distances.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The article seems to suggest that most of us would benefit by practicing holing out from shorter distances.
This is my main issue with these articles and stats in general.
For some, possibly many, practicing holing out shorter putts may be more beneficial - but not for everyone.
Unless you have your own stats that show weaknesses you could be practicing the wrong thing.
Shotscope came out with one the other day....statistically, you're more, or at least as, likely to hit the fairway with your driver as you are with your 3 wood - so use your driver.
Thats all well and good for those who fit that statistic.
If, like me, you're far, far, far more likely to hit the fairway with a 3 wood than a driver then using the driver is going to cost me shots.
I don't need a shot tracker to tell me that. Anyone who has played with me will tell you.
But I might read that article and think " well, Shotscope say I should be using the driver so...."
You need your own stats, gained from your own shots to tell you things, not some general report that covers the average player.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my main issue with these articles and stats in general.
For some, possibly many, practicing holing out shorter putts may be more beneficial - but not for everyone.
Unless you have your own stats that show weaknesses you could be practicing the wrong thing.
Shotscope came out with one the other day....statistically, you're more, or at least as, likely to hit the fairway with your driver as you are with your 3 wood - so use your driver.
Thats all well and good for those who fit that statistic.
If, like me, you're far, far, far more likely to hit the fairway with a 3 wood than a driver then using the driver is going to cost me shots.
I don't need a shot tracker to tell me that. Anyone who has played with me will tell you.
But I might read that article and think " well, Shotscope say I should be using the driver so...."
You need your own stats, gained from your own shots to tell you things, not some general report that covers the average player.
Spot on .
You have to know your own game.
Played with a lad last week shocking short game fat, thin and everything in between.
But he went straight to the range and started hitting driver.
“ short game is boring “ he said I just laughed.