Golf sim setup recommendations

G1z1

Visit site
Skytrak you just need swing room. It’s an optical until like quad rather than Trackman style radar which require space.

be warned. If you are looking for golf course, WGT is terrible for chipping and putting so you’d be better considering the other sim options they have available if you are looking to cost your solution. E6 and TGC are the go to options on skytrak
What is WGT ?

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
World golf tour. Is an app on iphone or ipad. You can connect it to you skytrak and play golf at home. Like Jigger said is terrible for chipping and putting but for not a lot of money you can have some fun over winter

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
World golf tour. Is an app on iphone or ipad. You can connect it to you skytrak and play golf at home. Like Jigger said is terrible for chipping and putting but for not a lot of money you can have some fun over winter
A fair assessment and it comes with the play and improve annual package which you need to use the other sims anyway. If you are an iPad rather than PC user, E6are probably stealing their market with E6 connect on the iPad.

if you are seriously looking at one I’d recommend the SkyTrak Facebook forum. Just avoid the negative comments. Every forum for each simulator has them as complicated detail like spin rates can be off at this price level but at £2k level the key things are done well compared to the sub £1k levels.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, youll need to do research as far as what you want verses what you can afford. Garmin R10 is fun, but is not accurate, it will regularly give inaccurate results for direction, spin rate, shot shape. But good results for carry, start direction, launch angle and swing speed.

When playing courses, for a tenner a month you get access to 42000 courses, basically everything garmin has loaded to its gps database. But only in a very cartoony nintendo Wii styling. And a practice range, and some courses on e9 connect which is in effect the course data you see on most high end launch monitors costs another £300 a year. And I'd would say is useless given how poor the r10 is at left and right dispersion.

Skytrak will be 2k, plus the same 300 per year for the course data. But will give you a much more realistic shot shape. Itll need a good amout of effort of calibrating, decent lighting etc so its not perfect. Its still not great on spin rates.

A hitting matt is around 250 if your expecting something like you use at the range, a net/screen will be 500+ and will need replacing if you use it regularly.

Don't forget about balls too, its amazing how fast they split!!

My garden set up cost 250 for matt, about 180 for pipe and clamps, 250 again for the archery net to hit into, then 600 for an r10. I absolutely do not have a realistic off course golf experience when using it. I do though get to make full swings using real equipment, and I'm a decent enough judge of pushes pulls hooks and slices to just use the reliable bits of data.

Even my basic set up is more than youd spend if you went to the range once a week for 24 months, where you get all the ball flight.... if i was doing it again, id probably spend more and get a skytrak, but hey at least i had something to use in lockdown, which was worth its weight in mental health gold!

G1z1

Visit site
Yes I think I definitely need to do a bit more research into the launcher I want. I basically just want something to have a bit of fun on playing courses at night through the winter, cartoon look wouldn’t actually bother me but I would like a semi accurate ball flight as I have a tendency to slice the ball and would like to see how straight my shots are.
Going to order some gym flooring tonight and get the room cleared out and get gym floor put down, then I’ll order all the other bits and bobs and leave the launcher until the end. What do people usually use a pc or iPad with the sim ?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes I think I definitely need to do a bit more research into the launcher I want. I basically just want something to have a bit of fun on playing courses at night through the winter, cartoon look wouldn’t actually bother me but I would like a semi accurate ball flight as I have a tendency to slice the ball and would like to see how straight my shots are.
Going to order some gym flooring tonight and get the room cleared out and get gym floor put down, then I’ll order all the other bits and bobs and leave the launcher until the end. What do people usually use a pc or iPad with the sim ?
sounds like the garmin might be right for you for now. You can always sell it later. These things alway tend to have demand.

It looked like an app based unit so would suggest an iPad screen mirrored to a cheap 2nd hand eBay Apple TV box hdmi’d into the projector.

Are you putting down the gym floor for anything other than cosmetic?

G1z1

Visit site
sounds like the garmin might be right for you for now. You can always sell it later. These things alway tend to have demand.

It looked like an app based unit so would suggest an iPad screen mirrored to a cheap 2nd hand eBay Apple TV box hdmi’d into the projector.

Are you putting down the gym floor for anything other than cosmetic?
We have wooden floors the now, so plan is to put the gym flooring down so when the ball hits off the screen its going onto a soft floor so balls are not bouncing about.
About the projector so does that have to be hooked up to some sort of tv ? I thought i could just use a ipad on its own no ?
everything i need to buy
gym flooring
golf matt
screen/bay
projector and possibly tv
ipad
and then garmin/skytrack
is that everything i am not forgetting anything?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The link on post #8 is worth a visit if you haven't yet. Personally I'd lean towards a PC (maybe "gaming spec") rather than an ipad, but I'm no expert.
Most sim set ups project onto a hitting screen, but you don't need to - as you say can just look at your tablet or monitor.
Do think about potential ricochet of balls though, from net/screen supports etc.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We have wooden floors the now, so plan is to put the gym flooring down so when the ball hits off the screen its going onto a soft floor so balls are not bouncing about.
About the projector so does that have to be hooked up to some sort of tv ? I thought i could just use a ipad on its own no ?
everything i need to buy
gym flooring
golf matt
screen/bay
projector and possibly tv
ipad
and then garmin/skytrack
is that everything i am not forgetting anything?
Pretty much it. Typically projectors don’t screen mirror so would need in Apple TV box or lightening to hdmi cable. I’d recommend Apple TV box as you can then watch movies. Benq are decent projectors for the price (projectorpoint.co.uk ?). Get a short throw one and their hd version was only about £60 more a while back.

Don’t scrimp on the mat. Your elbows will thank you.

G1z1

Visit site
Pretty much it. Typically projectors don’t screen mirror so would need in Apple TV box or lightening to hdmi cable. I’d recommend Apple TV box as you can then watch movies. Benq are decent projectors for the price (projectorpoint.co.uk ?). Get a short throw one and their hd version was only about £60 more a while back.

Don’t scrimp on the mat. Your elbows will thank you.
What would be the best mat to get ?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This is what I have. You can stick proper tees in it but look around their site.

https://www.golfswingsystems.co.uk/product/tee-turf-2m-x-2m/

However you may also want to consider this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0185O67HM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

As you can imagine you are wearing and wasting a lot of the centre of an expensive mat. I put cheap Astro on top of the above and cut a healthy striking piece off my mat and carpet taped it to the garage floor. It’s comes off every now and again but stays down most of the time. This way I’m getting the most out of the mat.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m in the process of building a gym / golf sim room and spent quite a while researching options, which may or may not help you. Hoping to have it up and running this weekend.

The room is approx 4m x 4.2m, with an exceptionally high ceiling. It will also be used as a gym room, meaning golf won’t be its sole purpose which influenced certain decisions.

Flooring
I‘ve gone with a 20mm thick rubber gym flooring… from, er, a place called gym flooring. I obtained a sample piece and was impressed with the quality. Not cheap though, costing over £400 for the full room.

Golf Net
The net will be positioned in the front right of the room, around 14” from the ‘front’ wall allowing some flex of the net upon impact. The ceiling inclines from front to back, so I’ll get around 7 feet of height where the net will be positioned, and I decided a 6 foot wide net would be sufficient. I bought a 10’ x 6’ archery baffle from net world sports for around £80.

Frame Structure
I’ve designed a basic but secure structure for the net, which comes off the side wall and ties into the front wall. Found a great website called the metal store which sells galvanised tubing and clamps for a very reasonable price. I bought tubing and clamps for a couple of projects, but the pieces for this structure probably cost around £40.

Hitting Mat
Ideally I’d have a 5’ x 5’ mat, but that’s too much floor space taken up for golf given the room is also meant to be a gym. The Forb mat is good if you’re looking at this size. However, I’ve gone with a 30cm wide strip (undecided what length i’ll cut it down to) which will sit securely between the rubber floor tiles. I bought this from hybridme at a cost of around £100.

Simulator
This is obviously a minefield. I wanted a camera-based system that measures spin, which limited my choices somewhat… particularly when I’m not willing to spend GC Quad money. SkyTrak was the obvious choice for me and I’ve been absolutely delighted with the functionality and accuracy of the unit thus far. If you’re prepared to wait, it’s worth seeing what the new Bushnell / Foresight collaboration offers depending on price.

Projector
I‘m not planning to project an image onto an impact screen at this stage - I have an old unused 40” tv which I’ll hang on the wall and mirror from my iPad using an old Apple TV.

Hope that helps. If I learn anything when doing the work this weekend, I’ll let you know!!

G1z1

Visit site
I’m in the process of building a gym / golf sim room and spent quite a while researching options, which may or may not help you. Hoping to have it up and running this weekend.

The room is approx 4m x 4.2m, with an exceptionally high ceiling. It will also be used as a gym room, meaning golf won’t be its sole purpose which influenced certain decisions.

Flooring
I‘ve gone with a 20mm thick rubber gym flooring… from, er, a place called gym flooring. I obtained a sample piece and was impressed with the quality. Not cheap though, costing over £400 for the full room.

Golf Net
The net will be positioned in the front right of the room, around 14” from the ‘front’ wall allowing some flex of the net upon impact. The ceiling inclines from front to back, so I’ll get around 7 feet of height where the net will be positioned, and I decided a 6 foot wide net would be sufficient. I bought a 10’ x 6’ archery baffle from net world sports for around £80.

Frame Structure
I’ve designed a basic but secure structure for the net, which comes off the side wall and ties into the front wall. Found a great website called the metal store which sells galvanised tubing and clamps for a very reasonable price. I bought tubing and clamps for a couple of projects, but the pieces for this structure probably cost around £40.

Hitting Mat
Ideally I’d have a 5’ x 5’ mat, but that’s too much floor space taken up for golf given the room is also meant to be a gym. The Forb mat is good if you’re looking at this size. However, I’ve gone with a 30cm wide strip (undecided what length i’ll cut it down to) which will sit securely between the rubber floor tiles. I bought this from hybridme at a cost of around £100.

Simulator
This is obviously a minefield. I wanted a camera-based system that measures spin, which limited my choices somewhat… particularly when I’m not willing to spend GC Quad money. SkyTrak was the obvious choice for me and I’ve been absolutely delighted with the functionality and accuracy of the unit thus far. If you’re prepared to wait, it’s worth seeing what the new Bushnell / Foresight collaboration offers depending on price.

Projector
I‘m not planning to project an image onto an impact screen at this stage - I have an old unused 40” tv which I’ll hang on the wall and mirror from my iPad using an old Apple TV.

Hope that helps. If I learn anything when doing the work this weekend, I’ll let you know!!
Is this the website you got the gym flooring from https://www.gym-flooring.com/collec...ducts/puzzle-interlocking-pure-black-mats-6mm

G1z1

Visit site
It is indeed, but not that product. I’ve bought the ‘sprung rubber heavy duty floor tile’, which they sell in various thicknesses. They’ll send you a sample if you’d like to try before you buy.
I live not too far from them might pop in but price is saying £900 for my floor space:cry:
move added it up wrong think it’s only about £300. If my room is 20ft long by 10ft wide I only need just under 10 right if there 100cm by 100cm ?

calculated it wrong i need 18 so yea not far off £600 for the mats, might just get the 10mm ones they sell on ebay can do room for £300 with them.

Last edited:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I live not too far from them might pop in but price is saying £900 for my floor space:cry:
move added it up wrong think it’s only about £300. If my room is 20ft long by 10ft wide I only need just under 10 right if there 100cm by 100cm ?

calculated it wrong i need 18 so yea not far off £600 for the mats, might just get the 10mm ones they sell on ebay can do room for £300 with them.

if you need 18… they do an 11mm sprung heavy duty rubber tile (the 11mm version of the 20mm version I’m getting), which you’d get for about £400 delivered. Pop it in your basket and you’ll get a slight volume discount, then use ‘gym10’ to get an extra 10% off.

G1z1

Visit site
Room is starting to get cleared tonight. Just bought the gym flooring its only 10mm thick but should do the job. Called my joiner mate hes going to build me a net enclosure but he's really busy for next two weeks so will get all the other bits in the meantime. Ill add some photos excited now about getting this room changed from a junk room to a golf sim0C760D57-8397-48AF-9A2D-3A98AF17E843.jpeg65F1A9A2-EBCE-483B-B4D2-8AC9FF181D09.jpeg9D5045C8-AF56-407D-8496-FB7102081D5D.jpeg

Last edited:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Room is starting to get cleared tonight. Just bought the gym flooring its only 10mm thick but should do the job. Called my joiner mate hes going to build me a net enclosure but he's really busy for next two weeks so will get all the other bits in the meantime. Ill add some photos excited now about getting this room changed from a junk room to a golf sim

10mm has the advantage of potentially getting away with not having to shave and re-hang your door!

If it’s of any use to you or anyone else, this is the frame design I’ll be building this weekend. I’ll post a couple of photos when it’s done - I expect the room to be functional by the end of this weekend, and making it look decent will follow…

0ctSy04.jpg

G1z1

Visit site
For the frame would i be better buying metal poles or getting a joiner to build a wooden one ?

Last edited:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the frame would i be better buying metal poles or getting a joiner to build a wooden one ?

This will be the first time I’ve built a golf net and the first time I’ve used this galvanised steel tubing with clamps. I’m fairly handy with timber but still felt the steel tubing would be simpler and easier.

I will know for certain by the end of Saturday…