Golf sim setup recommendations

G1z1

Visit site
I am wanting to get a golf sim setup in the house. I have a spare room thats 14ft long 10ft wide with just over 9ft ceiling hight. I seen a video of the new garmin R10 and it looks pretty good for what im after. Just wanted to ask firstly is the room big enough for a golf sim and what other equipment do you recommend for the whole setup ? I dont know anything about type of projector to get or even matts or net?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I am wanting to get a golf sim setup in the house. I have a spare room thats 14ft long 10ft wide with just over 9ft ceiling hight. I seen a video of the new garmin R10 and it looks pretty good for what im after. Just wanted to ask firstly is the room big enough for a golf sim and what other equipment do you recommend for the whole setup ? I dont know anything about type of projector to get or even matts or net?
There's a review of the R10 on mygolfspy that is likely worth a look.
To give you food for thought for a possible low cost option, to dip your toes if you like, I've linked a thread below. On the off chance it is of any interest feel free to PM me.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/a-little-project-for-the-long-nights.106745/post-2237115

G1z1

Visit site
There's a review of the R10 on mygolfspy that is likely worth a look.
To give you food for thought for a possible low cost option, to dip your toes if you like, I've linked a thread below. On the off chance it is of any interest feel free to PM me.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/a-little-project-for-the-long-nights.106745/post-2237115
I don’t fancy having one outside and my ceiling is not high enough:( how do people get these working in there house ? I have high ceilings in my house and have never been in a house with a ceiling higher than mine

IainP

Visit site
I don’t fancy having one outside and my ceiling is not high enough:( how do people get these working in there house ? I have high ceilings in my house and have never been in a house with a ceiling higher than mine
Ah sorry, I didn't make clear. This could be an option to deal with your space. i.e. could swing a shorter club but select longer ones and it would derive the distances, etc. People I suspect mainly custom build out-houses, or in North America have big basements.

G1z1

Visit site
Ah sorry, I didn't make clear. This could be an option to deal with your space. i.e. could swing a shorter club but select longer ones and it would derive the distances, etc. People I suspect mainly custom build out-houses, or in North America have big basements.
Ok yes I understand now. The space i have i can full swing a driver no problem i thought it was the equipment that was the problem?

IainP

Visit site
Ok yes I understand now. The space i have i can full swing a driver no problem i thought it was the equipment that was the problem?
Right. Yeah the follow the ball gizmos need some space. The "not really a sim" I have attaches to the club shaft so doesn't have that issue. Also I use foam balls which is less dangerous/noisy in a small place. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

G1z1

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a net for indoors, getting a setup without a projector. So just garmin sim with a matt and net and ill setup with an ipad . I have everything ready to order except a good quality net.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Archery nets are best for DIY golf simulators. You will have to build a frame for it as well. Or you can order one with netting custome made for 1000 pounds.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve tweaked this since but this was an early version of my garage build. If you have the £2k you can’t beat skytrak or mevo+ (your Room is too short for mevo+ though. Just mentioning it as you’ll hear it mentioned). Anything cheaper has yet to hit the standard of these two and these two are as close as you’ll get to a Trackman or quad without spending ridiculous amounts.

https://mygolfsimulatorbuild.sport.blog/my-golf-simulator-build/

Give your driver a few good swings about 2ft from the side wall. If you don’t hit anything, you are ok. If you do and think I’ll just us irons, trust me you’ll soon be annoyed that you can’t hit everything.

G1z1

Visit site
what space would you need for the mevo, talked the wife into getting rid of everything in spare room, when i had originally measured the room that was with two sofas. So now should have a extra 2/3 feet in length and width. Seen a few reviews on the new garmin sim seems as if it will do everything i am looking for, will a mevo+ do much more ?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a net for indoors, getting a setup without a projector. So just garmin sim with a matt and net and ill setup with an ipad . I have everything ready to order except a good quality net.
Archery net, just hung on a steel cable going wall to wall

G1z1

Visit site
Archery net, just hung on a steel cable going wall to wall
Ive been looking on the golf bays website, is that archery nets they use and does anyone know if there stuff is good quality? They pretty much sell the full setups so might just get all the stuff from there. Also just going to chance it with the projector, seen a YouTube video on golf mates channel and his room is smaller than mine and he used a projector.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Ive been looking on the golf bays website, is that archery nets they use and does anyone know if there stuff is good quality? They pretty much sell the full setups so might just get all the stuff from there. Also just going to chance it with the projector, seen a YouTube video on golf mates channel and his room is smaller than mine and he used a projector.

my net is from golf bays and it’s great. Don’t go cheap on the projector. The throw on them are terrible. Benq short throw projectors are worth stretching to and they are competively priced at their level.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
what space would you need for the mevo, talked the wife into getting rid of everything in spare room, when i had originally measured the room that was with two sofas. So now should have a extra 2/3 feet in length and width. Seen a few reviews on the new garmin sim seems as if it will do everything i am looking for, will a mevo+ do much more ?

its the first I’ve heard of it. Brief look, it looks great and I love the camera function. It also needs less room to the mevo+ which needs 10ft behind and a minimum of 16ft if I recall. Having all those courses will be handy, especially as you can play yours, albeit cartoon version. However. As with all cheaper devices it seems to lose it with distance toward the longer clubs. All lower end sims have issues with spin rates etc as they tend to be more calculated but you really need the distance to be bang on. If I had around £500 I’d absolutely plug for this but watch a YouTube video by gungho golf on this compared to a gc quad before you buy. gungho have been on the simulator forums for quite a while and know their stuff. The other thing to watch out for are subscription services. All of us SkyTrak users don’t particularly like the £80 a year to unlock certain features.

out of interest I’ve attached two photos of Trackman vs SkyTrak someone once did.

Attachments

• D1E503A4-AFB1-4728-BA8B-1266D45C40E5.jpeg
    D1E503A4-AFB1-4728-BA8B-1266D45C40E5.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17
  • A0828C00-A991-416C-B9BD-64B8B3BADD85.jpeg
    A0828C00-A991-416C-B9BD-64B8B3BADD85.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 17

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
For what you want the garmin is perfect, but it in itself is not perfect.

Ive got a net in the garrden and have used the garmin in it a few times. Its not anything like as accurate as it needs to be on shot direction, but is near perfect on carry distance and clubhead speed. Its great fun playing rounds, on practically any course in the world, but you will have a few shots that are misreads on start line and shot shape. As a bit of fun its cool, but if you can shove the budget a bit more youd notice the difference with a skytrack.

G1z1

Visit site
So with a skytrack would i need any more space ? Length of room is 17 ft total i know garmin has to sit 6 to 8 ft behind the ball so is skytrack the same ?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
So with a skytrack would i need any more space ? Length of room is 17 ft total i know garmin has to sit 6 to 8 ft behind the ball so is skytrack the same ?
Skytrak you just need swing room. It’s an optical until like quad rather than Trackman style radar which require space.

be warned. If you are looking for golf course, WGT is terrible for chipping and putting so you’d be better considering the other sim options they have available if you are looking to cost your solution. E6 and TGC are the go to options on skytrak