Golf on the Isle of Arran

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Confirmed today that I am off for 3 days on Arran which will include at least 2 rounds of golf. Wondered if anyone could recommend any of the courses, looks like there are 6 or so? It all looks pretty quirky, but fun, and I am looking forward to it..

The clincher for the trip is we are playing Troon on the Monday after the British Amateur so any tips on that challenge welcome aswell!

Cheers fellas:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can't remember the name of the course but it was a 12 holer that was by far thye best.

No doubt Crawford will be along and put you right.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lamlash is good fun,if a bit hilly.It has some great elevated tees! I will going to Arran soon as well,I look forward to more posts.Have a nice break mate,it's a lovely wee island!

DCB

Visit site
Shiskine is a cracker. A fine mix of holes and some interesting greens which always seem to be in good condition. You have to play here, even if it is just for the views. Some cracking holes, The Crows Nest, Himalayas and Hades are three of the most fun par3s I've ever played

As has been said, Lamlash is nice, a little hilly but good fun and some great views over Lamlash Bay. The wee 16th being a highlight hole IMO.

Brodick is worth a knock. It's plays along the shoreline and although not a true links course it's not a true parkland either. A nice mix of holes there as well. Some long strong par 3s that can wreck your card if you're not careful.

I'd not bother about Whiting bay, it's a bit of an acquired taste IMO.

Lovely place to spend a break. Hope the weather is kind to you.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm,12 holes is a wierd set up,do they give you the option of playing one half of the course again to make up 18? Shiskine does look nice however,I will give it a go when I am back over there!

T

thecraw

Golf on Arran, Scotland in miniature is a fantastic experience.

My personal favourite without a shadow of a doubt is Shiskine where the golf on offer is the most memorable experience ever as well as the best fun that you'll ever have on a golf course. It is simply phenomenal.

There is not much to choose between Brodick and Lamlash golf clubs however I sway towards Brodick mainly due to the two fun par 3's that play over the Rosa burn. These are both great wee holes, especially when the tide is in. Brodick is so so for the first two, maybe three holes then it really livens up.

http://www.brodickgolf.com/pages.php/index.html

Lamlash is also a nice track with stunning views over the Holy Isle and beyond to the Ayrshire Coast. Again it has some nice holes and a lovely clubhouse.

http://www.lamlashgolfclub.com/

Whiting Bay is also decent but in my opinion not as good as Lamlash and Brodick. Another I would recommend is Corrie Golf Club which is an absolutely cracking 9 holer with great views towards the Isle of Cumbrae and the "wee Cumbrae". It is also set under the watch of Goatfell, the highest mountain on the Island. Just watch out for Adders in the rough!

http://corriegolf.com/

Great Island, great golf, great local beer, I recommend the Arran Blonde.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf on Arran, Scotland in miniature is a fantastic experience.

My personal favourite without a shadow of a doubt is Shiskine where the golf on offer is the most memorable experience ever as well as the best fun that you'll ever have on a golf course. It is simply phenomenal.

There is not much to choose between Brodick and Lamlash golf clubs however I sway towards Brodick mainly due to the two fun par 3's that play over the Rosa burn. These are both great wee holes, especially when the tide is in. Brodick is so so for the first two, maybe three holes then it really livens up.

http://www.brodickgolf.com/pages.php/index.html

Lamlash is also a nice track with stunning views over the Holy Isle and beyond to the Ayrshire Coast. Again it has some nice holes and a lovely clubhouse.

http://www.lamlashgolfclub.com/

Whiting Bay is also decent but in my opinion not as good as Lamlash and Brodick. Another I would recommend is Corrie Golf Club which is an absolutely cracking 9 holer with great views towards the Isle of Cumbrae and the "wee Cumbrae". It is also set under the watch of Goatfell, the highest mountain on the Island. Just watch out for Adders in the rough!

http://corriegolf.com/

Great Island, great golf, great local beer, I recommend the Arran Blonde.

You don't have her nuumber do you?:D;)

Thanks Craw, I was waiting for your response!:thup:

Plenty of Kodak moments I am sure and will report back on where I played.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hated Corrie - it was on the side of a hill and there were zillions of buzzy bees or insects in the trees! freaked me out!

Shiskine was fabulous - views are amazing!

Arran is a great place for golf tho, and you can get all your shopping done in the cheese/beer/aromatics shops a mile outside Brodick!

things to watch out for:
if you play Brodick then they give you 25% off your next round
Lamlash only seem to want to sell you a day ticket which means you're stuck there! But no bad thing - nice course and great scampi ;)
the caravan site up the top end of the island - pretty pants course by all accounts - but then we didnt play it!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Itinerary agreed:

Corrie - Friday 22nd
Broddick - Saturday 23rd
Shishkine - Sunday 24th
Troon - Monday 25th

Plenty of malt on tap in the croft we are staying so happy days!

Hoping the weather will be kind for us...

ps any tips for repelling midgies??

T

thecraw

Itinerary agreed:

Corrie - Friday 22nd
Broddick - Saturday 23rd
Shishkine - Sunday 24th
Troon - Monday 25th

Plenty of malt on tap in the croft we are staying so happy days!

Hoping the weather will be kind for us...

ps any tips for repelling midgies??

Avon skin-so-soft.

Try and make time to take in Lamlash as well. Even at night as the sun setting over the Holly Isle is stunning. You'll love Arran its a fantastic place.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
528469_424681724216855_862315471_n.jpg

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had to postpone a visit to Arran in May but from this I must add Shishkine to the itinerary when I reschedule. We were going to be staying in Lochranza - anyone know what the course there is like?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks DCB - I will avoid Lamlash.

You say Lamlash is nice but a little hilly. For a member of The Merchants to notice, I guess it must be pretty mountainous.:whistle:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

You say Lamlash is nice but a little hilly. For a member of The Merchants to notice, I guess it must be pretty mountainous.:whistle:

at its highest point there are three holes in a triangle, just grab a few clubs and leave your bag at bottom of hill:thup:

DCB

Visit site

It's actually quite similar to The Merchants. Several plateau greens cut into the hillside, one or two cross-over holes. It's no worse than MEGC for the slopes though. 16th is a cracking wee par 3. Pic posted by bigslice is of the 1st green on a really good day. I'd play Lamlash any time before I'd play Lochranza. In fact I'd play the wee course at Machrie bay before I'd play Lochranza ;)