Golf Lessons

SeanMc

Hacker
Visit site
Hi folks

Ive been playing on and off for 2/3 years and am finally getting round to having some golf lessons.

Ive noticed that many pro's offer half an hour and one hour lessons, and I wanted peoples opinions on whether a half an hour session is enough, bearing in mind ill only be having one lesson a week, or is that too less a time to get anything beneficial out of it?

Thanks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I prefer an hour. I find it just allows the pro to take his time and that I can make sure I've understood any practice drills and hit a decent amount of balls under his gaze to make sure everything is as it should be. I'll normally get a basket after the lesson and work on it by myself. If it goes wrong I'll try swinging in almost slow motion to recapture the feeling and position I had before.

I just find 30 minutes too short. It might help now you are getting into it properly so that you aren't too confused although a good teacher should only give one or two (max) points to work on in any lesson. If you are learning the fundamentals again I think 30 minutes would be fine without it getting to boring otherwise

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
I actually prefer to have half an hour, but then I am only starting out. I find that after half an hour the pro has taught me how to swing again and my head hurts with all the input!

Driver lesson next, that may HAVE to be a whole hour!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I still give 30 minute lessons, but to be honest I prefer 45 minutes. I normally overrun to almost an hour so for £20 I feel that's not bad value.
I would say have 2 weeks between lessons and practice between them.
If a pro gives you drills to help you with a problem and you don't practice them, he/she will be able to tell
I also suggest you take a notepad with you and write down the drills and key points a of the lesson so you dont forget them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Sean

Welcome

I agree with Homer. I always have an hour for the reasons that he gives.

Chris

beatle

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been having a series of 45min lessons for the last few months. However, if I had a choice between 30mins or 1 hour, I'd definitely go for the hour.

SeanMc

Hacker
Visit site
thanks for the replies everyone. Pretty much confirmed the feeling that i had of 30 mins being too short. I dont think my local pro does 45 mins lessons either.

I think im going to try an hour lesson every other week, working on what ive learnt in the time between lessons.

As much for financial reasons as for golfing ones.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also suggest you take a notepad with you and write down the drills and key points a of the lesson so you dont forget them.

that's a definite - must start doing it myself. two days (if I'm lucky!) and its all gone.
mind you with the number of times the pros have to tell people the same thing they could have them all printed ready to hand out . . .

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If your guy's 30 minutes are actually 25 minutes then it's tight, but if he often overruns by 5 or 10 minutes then you can learn a lot.

I used to find an hour was too long.

For me, the idea of a series of lessons is to do several things, one at a time. I'm there to learn what I'm doing wrong, what I should be doing, and what drills I need to do to ingrain it.

So one lesson should be one fault. Once I've got the feel of that, and I understand the drill, the rest of the lesson is just having someone watching you practise.

I'd try one 30 minute lesson, and then see how you feel.

PS this will only work if you go back and do several shortish practice sessions to work on the drill/s in your own time.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I still give 30 minute lessons, but to be honest I prefer 45 minutes. I normally overrun to almost an hour so for £20 I feel that's not bad value.

Hey Bob thats pretty reasonable. I pay my Pro £30 for an hour lesson.

Can i book one of your £20 lessons and give the address to come to?

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Hey Bob thats pretty reasonable. I pay my Pro £30 for an hour lesson.

Can i book one of your £20 lessons and give the address to come to?

Chris

If it's St. Lucia, you're on...but I'll need expenses :D