Golf irons for 26 hcp!

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi gents,
Really need some advice on golf clubs! got a bonus at work so looking for some forgiving irons to help me lower my handicapp my budget is £150 but would ideally like to pay under £100 sure you guys know the best places and best irons i should be looking at!
thanks in advance

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get some lessons, see how low you can get with the bad boys you currently have. My clubs are cheap, but have gone from mid 20's to 15 with lessons.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nike VR Full cavity
mizuno mx17, mx23
Titleist 775cb (if I can hit them anyone can)
Callaway X18, x20

should find some of the above on ebay for around or under £150 BIN

I am sure there are plenty more to consider aswell

these look a bargain, had a look at the tours in AG and still quite chunky for a high handicapper like us :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Callaway-...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item41684562c8

and just over budget but highly recommended on here and will see you good for a decent while

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIZUNO-MX...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item1e702c1e59

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overheard my pro recently taking about irons/woods/putter bundles.

He said the irons can suit any beginner but the woods and putter will VERY quickly become the weak points in the set if someone is intent on improving.

In other words you can probably play with any old irons but make sure you have decent woods and a quality made putter. Sink the rest into lessons until you hit the high/mid teens handicap or wear those irons out :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say anything by Callaway or Wilson Staff and certain Mizuno models.

I can't see anything Ping being available to you.

What is frustrating about this forum is there must be literally 100's of sets in our sheds and houses.

If you lived anywhere near me, I could produce a good set like a rabbit out of a hat for you.

However, once it gets down to haggling/P&P/cheques/paypal, I'm not sure it's ever worth it.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
plenty at the car boot sales or second hand shops !!!!!! i have a suggestion that is a little out of the box and could bring gasps but here goes,go to a golf shop,i know it is a bizarre answer but hey it always works for me as they have thousands of the bloody things and they will sell them to you if you ask nicely.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have a suggestion that is a little out of the box and could bring gasps but here goes,go to a golf shop,i know it is a bizarre answer but hey it always works for me as they have thousands of the bloody things and they will sell them to you if you ask nicely.

LOL :)

Only trouble is, shops (range and course) do tend to ask rather a lot. I got my X-18s for £189 2-3 years ago and saw a set just the other day for £159. Still a bit over budget.

Personally, I think you have the right idea though...I tend to buy from a shop/pro as at least there's some help if a head flies off or something.

I sold a set of Graphite irons to a mate for £100, and he broke most of them within 6 months. A bit grim for him... :(

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
LOL :)

Only trouble is, shops (range and course) do tend to ask rather a lot. I got my X-18s for £189 2-3 years ago and saw a set just the other day for £159. Still a bit over budget.

Personally, I think you have the right idea though...I tend to buy from a shop/pro as at least there's some help if a head flies off or something.

I sold a set of Graphite irons to a mate for £100, and he broke most of them within 6 months. A bit grim for him... :(

I have a set of Callaway fusion irons and I only use the 7, 9 and SW. I'll sell you the 5, 6, 8, PW and AW for 100 quid. I'll also throw in the de-shafted 4 iron which I used to repair my 9.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got some old Tour Model clubs that I can let you have for £20 + Postage. They are what I started with and will do you for a beginning if you have no other clubs.