Golf Insurance

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know it’s illegal and insurance fraud but it always surprises me that this isn’t abused (or perhaps it is). Must be so easy for people to fake, and surely an easy area given how prevalent talk of bandits manipulating handicaps to win a comp is.
Club comps have a pretty solid audit trail - and any claim has to be signed off by the club secretary.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of our holes run close to a very busy A road. It would take a hell of a slice, but I'm sure I could manage to hit a car with a really shocking shot.

I really should get insurance, particularly if I get some free stuff.

My issue is, as mentioned above, whether it would pay out. Surely the legal test is 'was there a chance of you hitting a car/person/building?'. By virtue of the tee box's location the answer, in all honesty would be 'unlikely, but possible'. Would the insurer not have a right to deny the claim based on poor risk decisions by the policy holder?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am fairly sure that a requirement for all members of our club is that they have taken out golf insurance.

Hackers76

Visit site
One thing to note is read the small print on the free rounds of golf. You can only use one voucher per year across all the Q courses and most have restrictions on days you can play. We played a blustery Worsley Park yesterday, the pro shop allowed us to use our vouchers as it wasn’t made clear when we booked but the t’s & c’s say Monday to a Thursday only. With many you can also only use two vouchers per fourball.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing to note is read the small print on the free rounds of golf. You can only use one voucher per year across all the Q courses and most have restrictions on days you can play. We played a blustery Worsley Park yesterday, the pro shop allowed us to use our vouchers as it wasn’t made clear when we booked but the t’s & c’s say Monday to a Thursday only. With many you can also only use two vouchers per fourball.

What's that course like?

Hackers76

Visit site
What's that course like?

In honesty hard to comment we either had 20-30 mph winds against or behind us so you don’t take in the scenery or play the course the way it should be. It was quite flat and not a lot of trouble.
I wouldn’t go again, nothing to do with the course though, more the cost of food and drink in the clubhouse, service was poor too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I probably should have had insurance way back when as a member of Wimbledon Common back in the late 80's and early 90's I'm not even sure anyone offered golf insurance. The public would often walk the length of the hole walking their dogs knowing they had right of way or seem to loiter on the edge of fairways. If I played there now I'd definitely make sure I was covered. I am sure there must be a host of courses in a similar situation with the public in close proximity

sunshine

Visit site
Golf Care seem to be the most popular insurer because they do a great marketing job. But I don't use AD333's and wouldn't play a Q resort so their freebies are worth nothing to me. And no way I am using a big fat poker chip ball marker with GOLFCARE emblazoned in massive letters all over it, unless they pay me sponsorship.

It's worth shopping around as there are other providers who don't give you freebies but instead charge you less! And of course as someone else said always worth checking the small print as details of cover vary!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf Care seem to be the most popular insurer because they do a great marketing job. But I don't use AD333's and wouldn't play a Q resort so their freebies are worth nothing to me. And no way I am using a big fat poker chip ball marker with GOLFCARE emblazoned in massive letters all over it, unless they pay me sponsorship.

It's worth shopping around as there are other providers who don't give you freebies but instead charge you less! And of course as someone else said always worth checking the small print as details of cover vary!
I would have thought this is standard advice for all insurance policies. A valid point though in case you have to claim. There are plenty out there now that offer golf insurance without the razzmataz of Golf Care who must spend millions on their annual advertising (they always seem to have flyers in all the magazines each month!) and who will tailor it to your needs.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread but why would you need golf insurance if you've got decent household insurance. Mine covers me for all that golf insurance does at a lower add on cost

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't read the whole thread but why would you need golf insurance if you've got decent household insurance. Mine covers me for all that golf insurance does at a lower add on cost
Horses for courses. Just cross reference what the household insurance covers against a golf specific policy & if the household covers what you need, then fine.

For those considering GolfCare, just be aware - they do good introductory rates, but the premium rather creeps up on renewal. I renewed by direct debit, and did not pay proper attention over a couple if renewals. When l did pay proper attention, l found my premium had risen to a lot more than l felt justified. Will be looking elsewhere at next renewal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest for the personal liability cover at least. I've not checked my policy since renewal but would most really give you liability for seriously injuring somebody on a golf course miles from your house? I'm happy to pay a small amount per annum for that peace of mind without having to panic in the aftermath of a tragic incident scrabbling around looking at the fine print of my home insurance

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

Home insurance will possibly cover the equipment, but people mainly seem to take out golf specific cover to cover for public liability. Injuries and damage caused by shots etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest for the personal liability cover at least. I've not checked my policy since renewal but would most really give you liability for seriously injuring somebody on a golf course miles from your house? I'm happy to pay a small amount per annum for that peace of mind without having to panic in the aftermath of a tragic incident scrabbling around looking at the fine print of my home insurance
Yes you have to look at the excess as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Home insurance will possibly cover the equipment, but people mainly seem to take out golf specific cover to cover for public liability. Injuries and damage caused by shots etc
Which as I said is my main piece of mind. I added a specific clause for theft from a locker or boot of my car at any club which was minimal so I pay in January and forget about it

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My policy covers Public Liability, Personal Accident, Loss of Property Away From Home (unspecified items upto £1250 per item).

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the legal test is 'was there a chance of you hitting a car/person/building?'. By virtue of the tee box's location the answer, in all honesty would be 'unlikely, but possible'. Would the insurer not have a right to deny the claim based on poor risk decisions by the policy holder?

I have sent my questions to Golfcare and they have responded. See below:

Q. There’s two golf holes on my course and 100 yards to the right is a busy A-road. It would take a huge slice to hit the road, but I’m sure it has been done. With the knowledge that it is physically possible to hit the ball on to the road, would the insurance pay out if I did so?

A. Yes you are covered should you take a shot and hit a car on a busy road. This is covered under your Public Liability.

Q. Similarly, if another player on the course could possibly be hit by my ball e.g. 100 yards to the left of me or if my ball hit a tree it could ricochet and hit them, but it would be very unlikely, would a claim be upheld if I injured them?

A. Again, you are covered under Public Liability should you injure someone else or someone else's property when playing golf.

Q. If I lost my golf watch i.e. it slipped off my wrist (again unlikely), would it be replaced? New for old? Excess?

A. Providing you have receipts to confirm proof of purchase/ownership this would be insured under the Personal Possessions cover which is provided in our Gold and Platinum policies.

Q. If I left my wedge to the side of the green when putting, and found it had been taken by someone else (stolen), would I be able to claim? My irons are more than 3 years old, and it would be near impossible to replace one of the clubs. What would happen? Cash payment? What’s the excess?

A. Should you leave your equipment whilst taking a shot and it is stolen you would be covered under the golf equipment section which covers you for theft, loss and damage. Equipment is covered new for old for 3 years and after that it will be at the indemnity value (second had cost minus wear and tear). You can choose to increase your cover to insure your equipment for new for old for life at an additional cost. Please ensure that you have all receipts or obtain a written valuation from your local golf pro as should you make a claim you will need to provide this. Should a claim be made it will be either on a replacement basis if available or a cash payment.

Reasonably clear answers, particularly in respect of public liability. Worth £25 a year I reckon.