Golf Insurance

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm confused by this story, you overshot a 6 iron by 50 yards??? Who designed the golf course and put the car park right behind the green of a par three?? I blame them! :LOL:

I’d say I didn’t overshoot the 6 iron I’d say I actually connected properly lol like when my average drive is say 190 but randomly the stars align and I hit one 250 because I’ve actually hit how you should hit a golf ball

And yes I agree. A netting should be introduced

Me and my grandad never park that end.. yet the waiter who works there parked right st the front lol school boy error

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d say I didn’t overshoot the 6 iron I’d say I actually connected properly lol like when my average drive is say 190 but randomly the stars align and I hit one 250 because I’ve actually hit how you should hit a golf ball

And yes I agree. A netting should be introduced

Me and my grandad never park that end.. yet the waiter who works there parked right st the front lol school boy error
Ok fair enough, 50 yards seemed like a massive variance in a 6 iron so I thought I'd check I read it right, ha.

Serious point though, while players are supposedly liable for damage their ball does, golf clubs should be doing more. As you say, erecting netting across danger areas to protect people's cars seems like a no-brainer to me. The club leaves the car park unprotected, idiot waiter parks his car in the danger zone, and yet you are the one liable for accidentally overplaying a shot. That just sounds all wrong to me. Both the club and the car owner could have taken action to prevent it, whereas you couldn't really. Short of not playing the hole.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok fair enough, 50 yards seemed like a massive variance in a 6 iron so I thought I'd check I read it right, ha.

Serious point though, while players are supposedly liable for damage their ball does, golf clubs should be doing more. As you say, erecting netting across danger areas to protect people's cars seems like a no-brainer to me. The club leaves the car park unprotected, idiot waiter parks his car in the danger zone, and yet you are the one liable for accidentally overplaying a shot. That just sounds all wrong to me. Both the club and the car owner could have taken action to prevent it, whereas you couldn't really. Short of not playing the hole.

I believe they have signs saying cars are parked at owners risk

I prob could have got away with not being paying because i don’t know if I’m liable once they have that up but did the right thing everyone wins

Well not the waiter he was put out.. but nobody had a proper loss

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe they have signs saying cars are parked at owners risk

I prob could have got away with not being paying because i don’t know if I’m liable once they have that up but did the right thing everyone wins

Well not the waiter he was put out.. but nobody had a proper loss
A sign. That just shows they only care about covering their arse legally, not a jot about actual safety.

Not blaming you for taking responsibility, you did the decent thing. I'm just saying generally golf clubs should do more here. (And people should think about where they park their cars. That sort of thing annoys me actually - it's like people who buy houses next to a bar and then register complaints about the noise.)

A similar scenario, if somebody's back garden backs onto a course, is it still the golfer who is liable for a stray ball? Presumably if the golfer just disappears, the house owner would be having stern words with the golf course wouldn't they? And the club would either cover the damage or just hold their hands up and saying not our problem, the golfer is liable - tough luck if you don't know who he is? Then perhaps eventually either the club or the homeowner would look at putting some netting up to protect the property - who would be responsible for that?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A sign. That just shows they only care about covering their arse legally, not a jot about actual safety.

Not blaming you for taking responsibility, you did the decent thing. I'm just saying generally golf clubs should do more here. (And people should think about where they park their cars. That sort of thing annoys me actually - it's like people who buy houses next to a bar and then register complaints about the noise.)

A similar scenario, if somebody's back garden backs onto a course, is it still the golfer who is liable for a stray ball? Presumably if the golfer just disappears, the house owner would be having stern words with the golf course wouldn't they? And the club would either cover the damage or just hold their hands up and saying not our problem, the golfer is liable - tough luck if you don't know who he is? Then perhaps eventually either the club or the homeowner would look at putting some netting up to protect the property - who would be responsible for that?

The sign may or may not have any legal standing. Most likely not, but there are never any absolutes.

Liability is complex. It depends on what reasonably can be foreseen and what can have reasonable actions taken to prevent issues.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The sign may or may not have any legal standing. Most likely not, but there are never any absolutes.

Liability is complex. It depends on what reasonably can be foreseen and what can have reasonable actions taken to prevent issues.
But that's what I'm saying. Golf clubs can put netting up. Car owners can not park near a green. But a handicap golfer can't 'reasonably' not accidentally miscue a shot.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But that's what I'm saying. Golf clubs can put netting up. Car owners can not park near a green. But a handicap golfer can't 'reasonably' not accidentally miscue a shot.

I would agree on the first 2, and not the last one. The golfer could also foresee that it is possible the shot might go that far. All 3 parties could have taken actions to reduce the likelihood of an incident.

Imagine you are waiting to tee off with a group on the fairway in front? Would you hit as soon as they were beyond your average drive, or wait for them to clear your best case drive also?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would agree on the first 2, and not the last one. The golfer could also foresee that it is possible the shot might go that far. All 3 parties could have taken actions to reduce the likelihood of an incident.

Imagine you are waiting to tee off with a group on the fairway in front? Would you hit as soon as they were beyond your average drive, or wait for them to clear your best case drive also?
When I pay my money to play golf, I don't think I should have to consider the placement of nearby cars in my shot selection. I'm going to pick the club that gives me the best chance of making the green, I shouldn't have to select a club that might see me well short just in case I accidentally catch a flyer and put it in a car park. That's an external factor that I don't need in my thought process to play golf. That's my view anyway.

Your analogy doesn't stack up, because people move so you only have to wait a couple of minutes. Unless you think I should sit and wait for the owner to come back and remove his car before teeing off.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I pay my money to play golf, I don't think I should have to consider the placement of nearby cars in my shot selection. I'm going to pick the club that gives me the best chance of making the green, I shouldn't have to select a club that might see me well short just in case I accidentally catch a flyer and put it in a car park. That's an external factor that I don't need in my thought process to play golf. That's my view anyway.

Your analogy doesn't stack up, because people move so you only have to wait a couple of minutes. Unless you think I should sit and wait for the owner to come back and remove his car before teeing off.

Could you reasonably foresee that you might damage a vehicle if you hit a golf ball with a certain club. If you knew the furthest you have ever hit that club is far enough to reach the car park, then you are aware that you could cause damage. What you choose to do next is up to you, but if you then cause damage, you cannot deny any responsibility for doing so.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you reasonably foresee that you might damage a vehicle if you hit a golf ball with a certain club. If you knew the furthest you have ever hit that club is far enough to reach the car park, then you are aware that you could cause damage. What you choose to do next is up to you, but if you then cause damage, you cannot deny any responsibility for doing so.
I just don't think I should been forced to play a club that will go short 8 times out of 10, just because of the placement of the car park and lack of protection for the cars. I should be able to play my game free of external restrictions like that.

As clubchamp said, what about if it fires off a sprinkler head and does damage? Golfer is still liable but what could he have reasonably done to prevent that?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point. That just makes it pure bad luck and even less liability for the player though in my book - how can he legislate for that?

In that case, it's likely that it was not reasonable for you to foresee such an event.

However, as the OP has said the reason it went so far is that they caught it flush, when usually they don't, we already know the reason in this case.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’ve taken woods to 8 iron to that green , the wind can change how the hole plays

If it’s blowing a gale when you tee and the wood just makes it.. however what if the wind stops as you play your shot? Now your through the back no fault of your own

Shouldn’t have taken that lemsip I guess 😂

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just don't think I should been forced to play a club that will go short 8 times out of 10, just because of the placement of the car park and lack of protection for the cars. I should be able to play my game free of external restrictions like that.

As clubchamp said, what about if it fires off a sprinkler head and does damage? Golfer is still liable but what could he have reasonably done to prevent that?

I agree, you shouldn't have to worry about that, but if the club was negligent in not providing a net, it doesn't let you off the hook for hitting a club which you know has the potential to reach the car park.

Whether anyone could prove you knew the club could reach this far is again another matter.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve taken woods to 8 iron to that green , the wind can change how the hole plays

If it’s blowing a gale when you tee and the wood just makes it.. however what if the wind stops as you play your shot? Now your through the back no fault of your own

Shouldn’t have taken that lemsip I guess 😂

Probably the car owners fault for parking in a parent and child place that was closer to the hole, instead of parking further back in the car park. :ROFLMAO: