Golf injury advice

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was up the range this afternoon and think I caught the mat a bit heavy. Since being home I keep getting sharp pains in it and can't bend it backwards with out pain. I've just put deep heat on it and a tubigrip support thing. Meant to be playing tomorrow at 9but going to see how I feel. Any ideas or advice? The main pain is around the wrist it self but hurts the most when under pressure

B

birdieman

Not sure deep heat is good idea, for sprains and strains you want RICE procedure - rest, ICE, compression and elevation.

I think tomorrow is a no-no.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a bout of golfers elbow from hitting too many range balls off the hard mats. It was agony and I tried to play thorugh it. Big mistake. I was taking anadin muscle pain tablets to play a round but had to lay off the range for a while (fortunately the snow came last year) but RICE did the trick especially the ice for reducing the inflammation

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had this last summer playing from an un-repaired divot.

Got the ball out clean but the club jammed in the ground and injured my wrist. Not that I want to be the bearer of bad news, but, it took a few months for mine to get to a level where I felt confident and comfortable hitting the ball and taking a divot without pain.

Rest it, don't even chance tomorrow as you could do more damage than good. Pay a visit to an NHS walk in centre or you local GP and get some expert medical advise.

I just hope it doesn't take as long to heal as mine did. All the best fella :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It felt ok this morning so i took a gamble. After 2holes I turned round and went back in

Connor can I ask where the pain is?

Is it at the base of your thumb where it joins your wrist. If so, that's exactly what I had.

Best advise I could give would be rest and pay your GP a visit.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah but also around the whole wrist. I feel the pain on y back swig when I get to around 3/4s

It's what I had by the sounds of it. I tried to play through it and only elongated the healing process.

My advice would be taking 10-14 days away from the game and try a short range session after that just to see how it feels. If I had done this I would have probably been back playing properly a lot quicker than I actually was.