Golf in Oxfordshire

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at planning a trip down here to visit family and play golf.
We will be getting an air B and B round about Chalgrove.
Will probably be a Monday to Friday trip, so looking to fit in 3 games.
What courses do people recommend around this area?
We will take our own clubs and hire electric trolleys when down.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking at planning a trip down here to visit family and play golf.
We will be getting an air B and B round about Chalgrove.
Will probably be a Monday to Friday trip, so looking to fit in 3 games.
What courses do people recommend around this area?
We will take our own clubs and hire electric trolleys when down.

Any budget? If not the best courses for me are

Frilford Heath has 3 cracking courses and often do a deal for a day ticket (albeit maybe not in current climate)
Huntercombe might be expensive/hard to get on
The Oxfordshire is a bit marmite, some love it some dont but usually in very good condition and usually some deals around
Studley Wood is a decent track (albeit gets very busy these days)
Burford a bit further afield but a pleasant course

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Frilford Heath has 3 cracking courses and often do a deal for a day ticket (albeit maybe not in current climate)
The Oxfordshire is a bit marmite, some love it some dont but usually in very good condition and usually some deals around

Frilford Heath looks lovely, which of the 3 is your favourite?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Frilford Heath looks lovely, which of the 3 is your favourite?

Therye all good if a little different, little to choose between the red and blue for me, the green is shorter but still a nice enough course. If pushed Id prob play the red having not played any of them before, but plenty will argue the other way

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Get back to Scotland, that's a little further than 5 miles ;):LOL: Sorry know nothing about golf in that area.:oops:

You have a long drive, if you want a stop on the way down /game half way down or up near 'Staffordshire' , You come across as one of the true gents on the forum, would be a pleasure to host you at Beau if you want a half way stop and it helps.

Have a great trip.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Get back to Scotland, that's a little further than 5 miles ;):LOL: Sorry know nothing about golf in that area.:oops:

You have a long drive, if you want a stop on the way down /game half way down or up near 'Staffordshire' , would be a pleasure to host you. You come across as one of the true gents on the forum.

Have a great trip.

Cheers for the offer but we will be flying to Luton then hire a car.
We are lucky there is plenty of flights to the London airports for not a lot of money if you book early enough.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Frilford is usually a day ticket as mentioned, so you can plan to play more than one course (need to check in advance as they rotate 2 ball etc.)

Goring & Streatley may be worth a look.

Is the wrong side of oxford but I'm playing at Heythrop Park, esp. if you fancied a "buggy day" for a change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Agree about Oxfordshire being a marmite course. Glad I've played it but not one I'd rush back to. Studley Wood again was ok but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be and I think it had been over hyped. That said for someone visiting and just wanting a game, they may find it better than I did. Condition wise it was fine, but I can't remember too many of the holes

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Frilford is usually a day ticket as mentioned, so you can plan to play more than one course (need to check in advance as they rotate 2 ball etc.)

Goring & Streatley may be worth a look.

Is the wrong side of oxford but I'm playing at Heythrop Park, esp. if you fancied a "buggy day" for a change.

Distance isn’t really an object, we would probably get a minibus taxi out and home so we could have a dram and food in the clubhouse.

BubbaP

Visit site

You have a long drive, if you want a stop on the way down /game half way down or up near 'Staffordshire' , You come across as one of the true gents on the forum, would be a pleasure to host you at Beau if you want a half way stop and it helps.

Have a great trip.
Didn't you play in the black tee challenge at Frilford?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
How many players are you, and what month are you thinking of?
4 off us, Me, My Dad, My brother and Uncle, My uncle stays there after been in the RAF down there ?
Unsure of month yet due to current covid situation and my own work.
My Dad and brother will be flexible as they both own there own business.

BubbaP

Visit site
Sounds like it could be a riot!
Not played it myself but the springs club will be fairly close and seems to have decent ish reviews.

Simonsmh

Visit site
didnt say you had, was giving an opinion (compared to the reviews) as someone who had!
I’m a member at Heythrop and think the course is fantastic, it has so much potential! Also has a hotel onsite - the whole site was acquired by Bourne leisure last year, so is now a Warner hotel.

I played the green course at Frilford today and is was in fantastic nick, if I was nearer I’d join in a heartbeat! Going back next week to play the red and blue.

The Cotswold Golf Club has a hotel onsite and the course is always in good condition.