Golf in Mauritius

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perfect. Sounding like we've made a good choice with Heritage. Can't wait to get out there, it looks unreal, been wanting to go to Mauritius forever, so be awesome to get out there.

What's the beach like at Heritage? I've read somewhere that the beach isn't the best, any thoughts?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not as good as Paradis, that's the best one we have been to. Still nice though, early golf then a day loafing on the beach, heaven :)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What's the beach like at Heritage? I've read somewhere that the beach isn't the best, any thoughts?
If you're talking about the Heritage Awahli, be sure to have a go at snorkeling over the coral reef. You just drift along and watch the marine life, I found it fascinating. There was a particular type of small fish (a few inches long, dark grey colour) that seemed very curious. They would come up and examine you, then if you reach out to them they'll let you get your hand to within a couple of inches then dart off.

Others have mentioned that the Heritage golf course is good. When I stayed at the Awahli, we played at a place very close by called "Golf du Chateau". Is that the course others are referring to? If it is, I found it interesting but the rough was infuriating thick pampas grass. You could watch exactly where your ball went into the rough but still never find it. So if you play that, be sure to keep on the fairway!

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sept/Oct is a good time for golf weather wise, start of summer and before it gets ridiculously hot in Dec/Feb (today it'll be in the 30's with 75% humidity) I usually take a holiday from work around that time of the year and cant really recall one been dominated by bad weather and no chance of cyclones etc

Each course has something special about it but to rank them overall i'd put Heritage as No1, I love playing there and have stayed on or near the course a number of times for long weekends (the on course villas are quite special)

Plenty memorable holes like the short par 4's on 9 and 12 and par 3 13th over water, lots of space for your opening drive with a wide fairway on 1st but its a long'ish par 4 so not many get GIR comfortably in 2
17 is a monster par 4 SI1 & you finish on a beautiful par 5 back to clubhouse from elevated tee
There's about 5 sets of tees so play the blues 1st time (middle) and then adjust back for later games if you want to, you'll enjoy it more. It can be a long course when its windy but if you choose the right tee box then its fine and won't beat you up

You've been before but just wanted to say you've two course at belle mare and for me Links is better than Legends the latter being very tight off many of the tees with water on every hole and it doesn't suit my 'power fade' (although 17th is a stunning par 3)
(belle mare is a great hotel too)
Nice one, were there from 8th of April until the 22nd, if you can make it come down for a game,

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I wouldn't worry about it
sfgmin-899441-767-390.jpg

Others have mentioned that the Heritage golf course is good. When I stayed at the Awahli, we played at a place very close by called "Golf du Chateau". Is that the course others are referring to? If it is, I found it interesting but the rough was infuriating thick pampas grass. You could watch exactly where your ball went into the rough but still never find it. So if you play that, be sure to keep on the fairway!

Yup same course, it's just known by several names. The rough is usually grown thicker/longer as part of prep for the tour event and also after lots of rain when they cant get the machinery on it (particularity on back 9), most of the year its managed well and kept down. Off the 1st & 2nd cut rough then its long long grass

Nice one, were there from 8th of April until the 22nd, if you can make it come down for a game,

I might just do that, give me a nudge nearer the time if you remember

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Slab have you photoshopped that photo from north shore Skegness. :whistle:

Morning me man

Oops did I put up the wrong pic?... maybe its this one
not that great.jpg

Dan could you bring some bin liners please, we like it if each visitor can take a sackful back home :D

Morning Tashy, you got snow?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oops did I put up the wrong pic?... maybe its this one
View attachment 21686

Dan could you bring some bin liners please, we like it if each visitor can take a sackful back home :D

Morning Tashy, you got snow?

That is the one, missing the wind turbines though.

Slab I think we had about four flakes this morning and the country is at a stand still. It's a bit windy but sat in front of me coal stove in me chill out shorts.
hope alls well.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, thought that'd be the case, but saw a couple of questionable reviews on Trip Advisor, but if that first picture is anything to go by, that'll do quite nicely.

How tight is the golf course? Used to playing golf abroad in Spain where on most courses you play if you go 30 yards off line (which I do a lot) your ball is gone down a ravine, so normally take scrappy balls with us. What's it like in Mauritius? Worth taking decent balls? Or will I end up losing them quite easily?

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
The beach is lovely, me and the wife would go round the pool for most of the day then when the sun dropped under the buildings go out onto the beach. I loved it there. The beach is narrow in parts though but to be honest it didn't even register to me when I was there. There's beds etc on the beach and the waiters are on hand if you want anything.
As for the course the starter will recommend tees to you based on handicap. There's loads of tees. I was off 8 when I played there but can't remember what tees I was off. I would t say it was a hard course but I loved it as a course. I've got some great photos of it.

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
The green keepers have balls for sale as you go round if you run out !!
There's no deep ravines etc but there is water. The rough is relatively short so your ball is visible. The grass is thick though so still not easy to play out of.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure we'll find plenty if we start to run out, but reckon I'll take a mix of Chromies and some scrappier balls. How are the greens? Slick?

Just looking at some pics of the golf course on Trip Advisor and it looks unbelievable. I just want to be there now.

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
Greens were lovely they are receptive though.Theres loads of green keepers. They will store your clubs at the course as well if your going to play a few times.
I played first thing a couple of times. I teed off at 7:30 and was back in the hotel having my brekkie at 9:45. I'll figure out how to put photos on and add some.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're playing plenty, have tee times booked for every day we're there, including the day we arrive. Keen to say the least.

Sounds good, you can upload them using the "Insert Image" button at the top of the new post box!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
How tight is the golf course? Used to playing golf abroad in Spain where on most courses you play if you go 30 yards off line (which I do a lot) your ball is gone down a ravine, so normally take scrappy balls with us. What's it like in Mauritius? Worth taking decent balls? Or will I end up losing them quite easily?
As per my earlier post: go 30 yards off line and you'll be in thick pampas grass. It's pretty much impossible to find a ball that goes in it, even if you watch exactly where it went in.

The rough is relatively short so your ball is visible. The grass is thick though so still not easy to play out of.
OK, it was 5 years ago that I played there, so perhaps things have changed? Or are you talking about the first cut rather than the actual rough?

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
re - Awali...
We just had my honeymoon there from 24th Sept. No doubt we will return.
We met a group of 2 couples from tup North on their 5th return visit!

Golf is included at Awali. As is Tennis, Table Tennis and a range of activities - we're active and absolutely loved it.
Our package did not include buggies, we played 9 rounds and it cost a fair bit on top.
I think you can get buggies included at Le Telfair but that's not All Inc. and the food is pricey. They are all on the same estate sort of.
You can request a hamper from Awali (reception) to take with you, which we had on the buggy topped up with "refreshments" from our room.

The course is fairly forgiving but reasonably undulating with plenty of opportunity to lose a few balls, especially if windy.
I dropped the loft down on my Covert 2.0 to 9* and just hit it low about 240-260 to keep it in play... worked a treat, shot rounds of 76-81.
I took driver, 17* Hyb and 4i-PW + 56* and putter. The grass there is quite different - takes a few shots to get dialled in, especially around the greens.
Service is excellent, the take your clubs, tag them and clean between rounds etc.

It's very picturesque and fun but challenging, a good mix of long/short 4s, lovely 3s and great 5s - fair test.
I'm off 8 and Mrs is off 32 and we both loved it and want to go back.
The all inclusive package does not include food at the golf club so far as I recall, but you can tab to your room.
You get easy 5min courtesy taxi to/from the club.

Quite a few watersports (glass bottom boat, snorkelling, skiing, wakeboarding etc.) included and you can walk to C-beach club along the beach or get courtesy taxi.
Sunsets and cocktails at Infinity Blue are incredible.
pre-book your meal plan and go to the Infinity Blue get a table on the shoreline as much as you can - it's majestic.
The Zafarani (curry) is also heavenly - the chef is a legend.
Some said the buffet is hit and miss, I personally loved it, just found a chef and asked for what I wanted.

Note - 12th is short dog leg par 4, lay up level with 1st bunker about 160yds... tricky little hole. Leaves 150yds in.
Wind usually coming in from right can really shift the ball! Green is blind from tee.
The first day I hit 17* Hyb just in front of the green, easy birdie.. then days following lost quite a few balls on that one! Oopsy.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
As per my earlier post: go 30 yards off line and you'll be in thick pampas grass. It's pretty much impossible to find a ball that goes in it, even if you watch exactly where it went in.

OK, it was 5 years ago that I played there, so perhaps things have changed? Or are you talking about the first cut rather than the actual rough?

It was really murderous in places. Rough depends on course prep and season.
They only have winter and summer there.
In Sept/Oft the first cut was okay, forgiving mostly but sometimes quite snaggy, wirey. Deep rough was a bugger - avoid!
They were cutting it down in Sept/Oct which is when it turns to Summer and it starts to grow...

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
Looking at my photos there does seem to be some brutal rough. I was in a bit of a purple patch then and had a really good year golf wise so i might not have been as wild as I am at the minute !!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Haha, thought that'd be the case, but saw a couple of questionable reviews on Trip Advisor, but if that first picture is anything to go by, that'll do quite nicely.

heyup Dan, I was fortunate enough to bump into Slab on il aux Cerf. A gorgeous course. If you were three years due off the fairway never mind thirty you could kiss your ball goodbye. It was tighter than a penguins bottom. But gorgeous and I mean gorgeous. I played there and Anahita. The scold time I played Anahita was on the last day of the Mauritius open. The course was truly world class.

i had a drive around the island and ended up down at Heritage and it truly does look gorgeous. Believe the course was the first one to have a hole in one on a par four on the European tour. Don't think you will be disappointed at all.

re balls, take the ones you normally play with, I would not want to ruin an experience playing with grubby balls.

enjoy it mah man.