Golf in Madrid - golf club oliver de la hinosa

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going here next weekend. Apparently day one we are playing at golf club oliver de la hinosa. Anyone played it?

Looks nice in the photos.

Unsure where the next round will be at. Can’t wait. It’s been ages since I’ve had a foreign golf jolly.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I Had plenty when I was in the Navy although for some unbeknown reason, the memories of them are a little fuzzy.

This is my first specific golf foreign jolly as a civvie.

Can’t wait.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played Olivar. In fact, just like you, it was my first foreign course on my first foreign tour. It's pretty decent, wends it's way through olive trees (hence the name) with a couple of finishing holes around a lake. Like all Spanish courses I've played, it has an enormous club house. The greens are not the same grass as the uk - I was surprised that it was a bit longer and slower. I think that it is like this to protect it in the heat. The spaniards are also not great on pitch mark repairs. If you're not a four ball, they like to pair you up with random singles. Sometimes it's good, mostly people just get on with their own game.

I've also played a few other courses around Madrid (I had a mate who lived out there, so have done several trips). Of the public courses around Madrid, the two you're most likely to encounter are the Federation course, where the Spanish Open was played this year, and Encin, which has also hosted some tour/challenge events. My favourite of all these is Encin, but all are fine.

Have a great time. The food and drink in Madrid is great. Be aware that June in Madrid can be seriously hot (we used to go in Sept/Oct to avoid the worst of it), so make sure that you have sunglasses, a hat and lots of water. Olivar has some shade, but many of the others do not.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played Olivar. In fact, just like you, it was my first foreign course on my first foreign tour. It's pretty decent, wends it's way through olive trees (hence the name) with a couple of finishing holes around a lake. Like all Spanish courses I've played, it has an enormous club house. The greens are not the same grass as the uk - I was surprised that it was a bit longer and slower. I think that it is like this to protect it in the heat. The spaniards are also not great on pitch mark repairs. If you're not a four ball, they like to pair you up with random singles. Sometimes it's good, mostly people just get on with their own game.

I've also played a few other courses around Madrid (I had a mate who lived out there, so have done several trips). Of the public courses around Madrid, the two you're most likely to encounter are the Federation course, where the Spanish Open was played this year, and Encin, which has also hosted some tour/challenge events. My favourite of all these is Encin, but all are fine.

Have a great time. The food and drink in Madrid is great. Be aware that June in Madrid can be seriously hot (we used to go in Sept/Oct to avoid the worst of it), so make sure that you have sunglasses, a hat and lots of water. Olivar has some shade, but many of the others do not.

Cheers Dave

Really appreciate the info.