Golf in Australia

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

Anyone played golf in Australia

I'm starting in Melbourne in April and just wanting to hear some advice really.

The royal melbourne is out of the questions by the way. $370 for 18 holes plus $55 for clubs.

Not just courses in Melbourne. I'll have a backpack and some clothes with me and nothing golf equipment wise so want to play a few rounds out there but not too expensive.

Cheers

scozzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hey Dave,
Am expat Melburnian here in UK,You will be spoilt for choice if you head down to the Mornington Penninsula (SE of melb) some great tracks down there Including Cape Schank(no really!)National & Moonah links which hosts the Aussie Open from time to time,My home track is Gisbourne GC,about 40 mins NW of melb & is well worth the visit,a great track with plenty of Roos & Birdlife(feathered!!) to see,cant comment on unfeathered variety,just along from there you will find Woodend,a real hidden gem!! Heading down the great Ocean Rd you will find Port Fairy,a fantastic,if tight links which is just great....travels will be great,many hidden gems,also some great golf along the Murray River altho recent floods might have affected the courses up there I would think...enjoy!! PS.A sandbelt course is well worth it if you can swing it!!

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, i lived in Oz for 4 years and have been back in the uk 6 months now. As previous poster says it is well known that the best Oz has to offer is down on the famous sandbelt courses near Melbourne. That said there are lots of good courses around them Sydney area, the NSW, the coast, Mona vale, Long Reef, Concord and St. Michaels to name a few. I have also played on the Gold Coast in Qld which has lots of courses to chose from. There is also a Greg Norman course called brookwater near Brisbane which is a absolue brut of a course but you need to bring you a game. Further north is the sunshine coast you have the likes of coolum and twin waters bit there are plenty of other courses to choose from.

Personally I preferred the coastal courses as the in land ones I played were too much like resorts but still fantastic courses. If you are planning to play in the summer please remember you sun screen factor 30 minimum and mozzie repellant.

Good luck with your trip you have the opportunity to play some great courses in fantastic weather but most of all you will be greeted warmly by the Ozzies who have the balance of playing golf seriously but in great atmosphere just about right.

M