Golf Holidays in Spain - New Business research and opinions appreciated

fastboy

Visit site
Hello, first post here so please be gentle with me.

I wanted to get the opinions of some of my fellow UK golfers as some research into a business that the wife and I are looking into setting up in the near future.

We're looking at the feasibility of opening a small B&B / hotel on the south coast of Spain aimed squarely at golfers and wanted to gauge some opinions from people who regularly go on golf holidays either as groups or couples so any input would be massively appreciated.

The aim of the business would be to offer an alternative to the typical tour package golf holiday for small groups / couples / friends etc and get them away from the busy resort courses (we all know how frustratingly slow holiday golf can be at times) to some of the alternate courses in the area but also give them the flexibility to play multiple courses in the area and not just be tied to one course for the whole holiday (unless they wanted to of course).

The sort of things we'd like to know are.

Accommodation

1) Would you consider staying in non resort accommodation on your golf holidays and more specifically in a B&B type establishment?
2) As part of your package, would you prefer B&B or half board or possibly full board if you had a good prepared lunch to take to golf with you?
3) What would you expect facilities wise in your room?
4) Would other facilities would you want to have onsite? Bar? Pool?
5) How important would it be to be close to a resort and what facilities would you want nearby? Would it need to be walkable or is a short drive if you have a car or taxis acceptable?

Golf

1) Would you consider playing alternate courses that you may not have heard of before (this is on the assumption that given how many golf courses there are in Spain, we'd find the hidden gems for you but you may not have heard of them)?
2) In terms of golfing, would you prefer to have your holiday inclusive of all extras (i.e. priced to include range tokens, buggies/trolley) or do you prefer to pay for whatever extras you need on the day at the club?
3) When playing in a group, would you like to have your trips accompanied by golfers (i.e. me and the wife) for some local knowledge or would you prefer to just get on with it? (Appreciate this one is quite subjective!)
4) When you holiday, do you always bring your own clubs or do you rent?
5) On your golf holidays, assuming you don't play every day, would you want to have organised excursions on days off and what sort of things would you be interested in?

As before, appreciate any input even if you only partially answer as I know there is a lot of questions here but really do value peoples opinions on this so we can work out if what we are looking to do is a viable option.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site

I wanted to get the opinions of some of my fellow UK golfers as some research into a business that the wife and I are looking into setting up in the near future.

We're looking at the feasibility of opening a small B&B / hotel on the south coast of Spain aimed squarely at golfers and wanted to gauge some opinions from people who regularly go on golf holidays either as groups or couples so any input would be massively appreciated.

The aim of the business would be to offer an alternative to the typical tour package golf holiday for small groups / couples / friends etc and get them away from the busy resort courses (we all know how frustratingly slow holiday golf can be at times) to some of the alternate courses in the area but also give them the flexibility to play multiple courses in the area and not just be tied to one course for the whole holiday (unless they wanted to of course).

Accommodation

1) Would you consider staying in non resort accommodation on your golf holidays and more specifically in a B&B type establishment?
2) As part of your package, would you prefer B&B or half board or possibly full board if you had a good prepared lunch to take to golf with you?
5) How important would it be to be close to a resort and what facilities would you want nearby? Would it need to be walkable or is a short drive if you have a car or taxis acceptable?

Golf

1) Would you consider playing alternate courses that you may not have heard of before (this is on the assumption that given how many golf courses there are in Spain, we'd find the hidden gems for you but you may not have heard of them)?
2) In terms of golfing, would you prefer to have your holiday inclusive of all extras (i.e. priced to include range tokens, buggies/trolley) or do you prefer to pay for whatever extras you need on the day at the club?
3) When playing in a group, would you like to have your trips accompanied by golfers (i.e. me and the wife) for some local knowledge or would you prefer to just get on with it? (Appreciate this one is quite subjective!)
5) On your golf holidays, assuming you don't play every day, would you want to have organised excursions on days off and what sort of things would you be interested in?

As before, appreciate any input even if you only partially answer as I know there is a lot of questions here but really do value peoples opinions on this so we can work out if what we are looking to do is a viable option.

Really boring part of your holiday - but I can offer you a discount on airport parking at Gatwick or Stansted if you're travelling from there!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Accommodation

Golf

1) Possibly but it depends how much is local to it. Out of the way then probably not as you would get bored quickly with a bunch of golfers on a break. Near bars,restaurants then possibly.
2) Kinds of depends on location again, Half board would be useful but B&B would also work if places to eat locally
3) Wifi, sports channel. May be I'm old fashioned but if I get a decent nights sleep then I don't overly care what the room is like as I mostly just sleep in them
4) Bar essential if it is out of the way a bit.
5) For me needs to be very close, possibly walking distance. As Im not sure if a group will want to be driving to get to resorts every evening. But that may be me.

1) Yes, especially if the price is good
2) Pay for extras as it could get complicated in a big group agreeing what you all want/don't want beforehand.
3) Get on with it but others may appreciate the company
4) Only really done golf holidays in UK so always took them. Whenever I've played abroad always rented from the course.
5) Could be good. Trips to vineyards, breweries would be good, to the coast if near one.

I know these type of smaller scale accompanied golf holidays already exist, so if you have not already how about going on one yourself to see what it's like and what it entails?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mum and dad took early retirement and did what you are suggesting but for Motorbikers and France.. have a look at www.bikers-lot.com let me know if you have any questions. The differences will not be that great!

Hacker Khan

Visit site
My mum and dad took early retirement and did what you are suggesting but for Motorbikers and France.. have a look at www.bikers-lot.com let me know if you have any questions. The differences will not be that great!

Come off it. One is made mostly up of a groups of sad middle aged men having mid life crisis's, blowing vast amounts of money on their hobby to get 'the best', when in fact they really do not need it or will ever use it to anywhere near its full potential. They all dress in their 'uniform' that they think makes them look cool, but it actually makes them look a bit sad and ridiculous. And at their age they should know better, and take up a hobby that is a bit more dignified.

Also then you have the Motorbikers.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come off it. One is made mostly up of a groups of sad middle aged men having mid life crisis's, blowing vast amounts of money on their hobby to get 'the best', when in fact they really do not need it or will ever use it to anywhere near its full potential. They all dress in their 'uniform' that they think makes them look cool, but it actually makes them look a bit sad and ridiculous. And at their age they should know better, and take up a hobby that is a bit more dignified.

Also then you have the Motorbikers.

LOL!!! the biker world can be as funny! I had a mate, spent 1200 quid on a new exhaust system that was 100g lighter, carbon fibre bodywork, titanium this and that, raved about how much weight he had saved! He was 17 stone and stuffing a bacon bap in his pie hole when he told me...

Hacker Khan

Visit site
LOL!!! the biker world can be as funny! I had a mate, spent 1200 quid on a new exhaust system that was 100g lighter, carbon fibre bodywork, titanium this and that, raved about how much weight he had saved! He was 17 stone and stuffing a bacon bap in his pie hole when he told me...

No different to some 22 handicapper who rarely hits the sweet spot buying a new set of irons as they think it will go 5 yards further. And I should know;)

fastboy

Visit site
Thanks for the opinions so far guys and the banter - I used to be a biker myself and would spend silly amounts on carbon bits etc as well :)

Opinions as I said before are massively appreciated or even if you just part answer.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been going abroad for golf holidays for nigh on 20 years now and we are either a group of eight or twelve. B&B would not work for us, so we either rent a villa if in the States, or use hotels in Europe. Currently we have been travelling to Turkey and use fully inclusive hotels which are attached to courses so get good deals.
Costs are relatively cheap, although flights from Scotland tend to be expensive. I hope your venture works, but I think it is more suited to smaller groups or couples.