Golf Grip

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I give up. I've just been watching Rick Sheilds on FB (due to someone else posting it up and it being about sharpening grooves) then the next video was at the range and I watch how he had his hands on the club. Now after my indoor golf thing with a pro he said my hand were in the wrong position and the right thumb should be down the middle of the shaft so I've been trying to do this at the range. Now RS had his right hand how I used to have mine with the thumb lying over the shaft. So then, which is the right way??????

AdamC28

Visit site
I have my right thumb over the shaft.
Personally I think you can mess around too much with grip, only have to look at pros on tv and see that one grip won’t suit all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just use whatever grip is comfortable man. You can hit slices with a strong grip, hooks with a weak grip, there's no universal correct grip out there. Everyone is different.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This a grip training grip for a neutral hand position.

View attachment 29252

It would be impossible to have the thumb straight down the middle with one of these

View attachment 29253
When I was going through a grip change to make mine stronger (in fact into the correct position from such a weak starting point) I put one of these on a wedge and simply kept gripping and holding it while watching TV until it a) felt comfy and normal and b) I could grip other clubs correctly without thought

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Once you've decided where your thumb goes, you then have to decide if you want/need a short thumb or a long thumb. :sneaky:
But that's another story.
All that really matters is where the clubface is pointing at impact.
If it points where you want it to point with your grip, don't fix it