Golf Fitting Advice

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have recently been fitted for some golf irons. I ended up 1/2" shorter and 2 degrees flat on my irons and wedges. However I didn't look at my hybrids, woods or driver.

I was wondering if I should. I have always choked down a fair bit, I'm short with longish arms and the change with the fitting has been great and feels and looks a lot better however my driver and fairways feel really long and sit a lot differently to my irons.

I am using Callaway XR16 driver and XR steelhead fairway and hybrid. My club will happily take off 1/2" if needed or even more.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have gone through a big swing change with my first lessons through the winter and a lot of practice and things are coming on pretty well for someone having lessons for the 1st time at 47..

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have recently been fitted for some golf irons. I ended up 1/2" shorter and 2 degrees flat on my irons and wedges. However I didn't look at my hybrids, woods or driver.

I was wondering if I should. I have always choked down a fair bit, I'm short with longish arms and the change with the fitting has been great and feels and looks a lot better however my driver and fairways feel really long and sit a lot differently to my irons.

I am using Callaway XR16 driver and XR steelhead fairway and hybrid. My club will happily take off 1/2" if needed or even more.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have gone through a big swing change with my first lessons through the winter and a lot of practice and things are coming on pretty well for someone having lessons for the 1st time at 47..

Yes you definitely should. Most good fitters or club builders will do an MoT of your current clubs to see if they fit you well or not. It may be an easy fix and they will adjust your current clubs to fit you. That won't cost you too much, I would stay away from the cheaper fitters as they will probably try and up sell you equipment.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have woods and or hybrids with adjusters it may well be possible to adjust the lie to flat.

Shortening of the club does not need to be done, as you have said this can be achieved by simply gripping down.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I went for my Ping fitting, the fitter looked at my TM Burner woods. Each were supposedly R flex and all had a stock TM shaft. One was so whippy (five wood) one was a definite stiff (driver) and one was borderline S/R. None in his view were TM standard R flex so my advice would be at least get the fitter to give them a once over while you're at the irons fitting

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Woods, and even many hybrids, aren't as sensitive to lie angles as irons.

I wouldn't get hung up on it; if you can handle the shaft length then fine - it generates the club head speed for you and you want distance from the driver. If you can't consistently middle the ball from the driver then club head speed isn't going to help. Should you get checked out that they are appropriate for you - of course. I would probably start of by asking your teaching pro rather than a fitter at this point. He will know whats you and what the club.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

driver/metals are supposed to be different from irons re lie angle & length
driver you hitting off tee peg
the shafts longer as they are distance clubs
- re the length as a general rule can you reasonably control the driver to hit optimum strike location -

if not then usually a lesson much more valuable to start off with & then also get the pro to take a look at the driver & metals - to look at technique - & cast an eye on what loft the driver is (& metals) - along with the shaft frequency - & whether anything needs to come off the overall length of the club/s

far better at this stage to check the swing over plus the driver/metals with the Pro - as opposed to a fitter (unless the fitter also happens to be a teaching pga pro)

in the meantime would continue to choke down an inch of the handle of the driver/3 metal if that is giving better results

but get some advice from the pro before just chopping length off of the driver & metals - the hybrids are not goin to be that much longer than the 4i or 5i - also have to consider the 'gapping' between longest iron & the hybrid/s - the hybrids & metals

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, my pro/coach also does the fitting so will meet with him this weekend and get some feedback. Pretty much all the work so far has been with irons and short game not done very much on the woods.

I'm comfortable with the hybrids it's mostly the driver that I'm not as comfortable with. A lot of heel hits. With my Irons originally I was standing way too far away and very wide in stance and this has now been fixed but think I need a lesson with the Driver just to see if I am not quite in the correct position.

One of the difficulties is I play with my son every week and our main course is a 9 hole with 4 holes around 310 yards but no more and the rest between 120 and 270 so there is very little need for a driver as it's tighter and narrower and better scoring is done through fairway position rather than trying to drive the green or get close so actual play time with the driver is limited. However as spring arrives I will be playing full courses more often and want to be able to use my driver.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
With your woods it's not just length and lie you need to think about. The shaft makes a huge difference, get your pro to have a look at that too

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should also be remembered that if your longer clubs have graphite shafts and your irons steel shafts, in the downswing the graphite shafts will tend to bend more towards you than the steel shafts which will flatten the lie anyway.