Golf fitness ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Does anyone do anything for golf fitness ??

I have found I'm really struggling with tiredness near the end of my round and also generally aching, could be just the fact that I've had a long lay off from the game but I don't hear any of my PP's complaining about tiredness or muscle aches.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No, but going to do some... when i get around to it.

I found i was getting tired towards the back end of the round, i got an electric trolley, that sort of solved it

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I found i was getting tired towards the back end of the round, i got an electric trolley, that sort of solved it

I've had a lecky trolley since I returned :mmm:

I'm considering doing weights, my shoulders ache after a round, just wondering if it's lack of shoulder strength, plus fatigue near the end causes scoring issues as well.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overall I'm fit and usually active,however for the last few weeks my back has been in spasm.Having now gone 2 weeks without one although I've had a few twinges I started to do some stretching today.I was following Piers from Meandmygolf today where he did a 20 minute session in America.
I could not do half the stretches but he could,in fact he was quite impressive. If my back continues to improve I will keep doing this video.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No issues here to report but I have been running 5 miles every night since the Starr of January and also do a about 15 miles on my bike along with some weights.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had a lecky trolley since I returned :mmm:

I'm considering doing weights, my shoulders ache after a round, just wondering if it's lack of shoulder strength, plus fatigue near the end causes scoring issues as well.

The aching is lactic acid buildinv up in your muscles. Weights won't do a lot for that. Cardio will be of more benefit , on something like a cross trainer that involves the shoulder muscles , followed by some good stretching will be far more beneficial.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just back in from a 7 mile run. I do it alternate days, fitting in an hour swimming lengths on the other days. Thinking of getting a bike, and turning it into an iron man thing.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The aching is lactic acid buildinv up in your muscles. Weights won't do a lot for that. Cardio will be of more benefit , on something like a cross trainer that involves the shoulder muscles , followed by some good stretching will be far more beneficial.

Hmmm....never thought about the lactic acid. It's twice as bad when I play or practise two days on the trot. My current lack of fitness is appalling.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Something i've never given much though, i tend to only get tired after hole 25 or so, or if i'm really trying to race around. There is a bit of a distinction between being "golf fit", and training to improve your golf, i'd only want to worry about being golf fit being honest.

Has anyone given speed golf a go, because that sounds like a good bit of fun.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did a weekly Pilates session for about 18 months up to last summer when I had a prolonged bout of vertigo. It was really great as the lady who ran the class knew that about half the class were veteran golfers

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I row 15,000 to 20,000 metres a week on an indoor concept 2 erg. I hate the thing but it makes a huge difference to core strength and lower back flexibility. Just my feet that ache after a round now until I wear in my new Ecco shoes.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
The TPI screening has highlighted how I am lacking in mobility, stability and balance. My swing faults are due to my body limitations.

Stamina is ok, I can play 36 holes in a day but it’s everything else that’s a problem!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmm....never thought about the lactic acid. It's twice as bad when I play or practise two days on the trot. My current lack of fitness is appalling.

Are you carrying some unnecessary timber and I don't mean a 5 hybrid. That's essential :rofl:

You shouldn't really feel that bad from an 18 hole dander. Especially when using an electric trolley.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I started stregth training a while ago, mostly barbell trainng, about two to three times a week. I don't do it exclusively for golf, but I must admit that hitting the ball a bit futher was maybe my main motivation for starting (By now I am a bit addicted to it in it's own right, though ... there is something pretty cool and empowering about lifting, especially for a woman) and the largest part of my training plan comes from golf fitness tips. Not sure if my motivation will hold up when summer comes, though and the choice is between the gym or a few holes of golf after work, so it might just be something I reserve for the winter months. I've also changed my diet to a very low carb high fat one. Again, that was not neccessarily prompted by golf, actually I started that in an attempt to battle migraine attacks, but I find that it helps me enormously to keep an even energy level during a round of golf.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Are you carrying some unnecessary timber and I don't mean a 5 hybrid. That's essential :rofl:

You shouldn't really feel that bad from an 18 hole dander. Especially when using an electric trolley.

I'm not slim, just think my fitness is shocking.