Golf Course Closed again

Visit site
My local moor land course which is always open have just announced that they're closing the course for 5 days to give it a rest. Majority of courses in the area are closed so I think they've been getting all the golfers from other courses playing.

I'm not a member anymore but I'm always surprised at the fuss members are making for their courses being closed after all this rain. I understand you're not getting value for your membership but surely it's better in the long run to not play it whilst it's so wet. It's hardly stopped raining in Yorkshire for probably 5 months, give or take the odd dry days.
I take your point about having to close if it's so wet, you damage the course. It has been a shocking winter. But if you are a member, paying say £1500 or even £2000, I think what some people on here are saying is that this makes them question whether it is worth it. These are tough times and some have no choice but to make cutbacks so you start thinking about the value you get. Course closures generally are bad for the club too because much less bar and catering, which then affects their financial position, so it's no-one's fault. I just think that with inflation the way it has been, and the weather, it is in every sense a perfect storm for the golf industry. I think at the very least, the post covid boom is probably history and all those clubs which have enjoyed waiting lists will likely not have that luxury very soon.

D-S

Visit site
I take your point about having to close if it's so wet, you damage the course. It has been a shocking winter. But if you are a member, paying say £1500 or even £2000, I think what some people on here are saying is that this makes them question whether it is worth it. These are tough times and some have no choice but to make cutbacks so you start thinking about the value you get. Course closures generally are bad for the club too because much less bar and catering, which then affects their financial position, so it's no-one's fault. I just think that with inflation the way it has been, and the weather, it is in every sense a perfect storm for the golf industry. I think at the very least, the post covid boom is probably history and all those clubs which have enjoyed waiting lists will likely not have that luxury very soon.
I guess, as a member, do you want the ability to play a few extra times on a course that is patently unacceptable for a decent game and then in May, when the weather is probably better, have a course that is still recovering from the damage that the traffic that being open when it is very muddy has caused? It is a tough trade off and a different answer from different golfers.
Personally I would accept more closures if that means better conditions when the proper season starts.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course has been closed since October 13th, with the exception of maybe 7 days,

It could well be another two or three weeks before it opens,

due to being on designated flood plain, every time the river burst it's banks, the golf course suffers, and this year has been exceptional in terms of wet weather,

I can't remember the last time the course was closed for so long, it must be 8-10 years ago, but with 'global warming' this is likely to happen more often

Bobthesock

Visit site
9 holes closed again today for some bizarre reason. Yes it's wet, but it was a lot wetter in the winter and it was all open albeit with some temporary greens.

Visit site
I guess, as a member, do you want the ability to play a few extra times on a course that is patently unacceptable for a decent game and then in May, when the weather is probably better, have a course that is still recovering from the damage that the traffic that being open when it is very muddy has caused? It is a tough trade off and a different answer from different golfers.
Personally I would accept more closures if that means better conditions when the proper season starts.
I think I probably would too, especially now that we at Minch have finally for around to implementing a traffic light system so it's not a case of having to shut it just because buggies would be too damaging. Now there are stages of it being open and if it is fully closed, at least you know it really is unplayable.

But my post was not so much reflecting my (and your) views, just explaining that with the combination of weather causing lack of play, and the inflationary effect on membership fees, that some are going to ask themselves, is this worth it and can I justify it, given most other services and goods have also risen sharply, for many, above the increase in their income. People have been doing precisely that on this thread. I'm not, but my wife is to an extent, because she only plays one 18 hole round a week, very occasionally twice even when it's open. And our fees are up around 30% in the past couple of years so the question arises. As I say, it's no-one's fault, it's just a perfect storm.

D-S

Visit site
I think I probably would too, especially now that we at Minch have finally for around to implementing a traffic light system so it's not a case of having to shut it just because buggies would be too damaging. Now there are stages of it being open and if it is fully closed, at least you know it really is unplayable.

But my post was not so much reflecting my (and your) views, just explaining that with the combination of weather causing lack of play, and the inflationary effect on membership fees, that some are going to ask themselves, is this worth it and can I justify it, given most other services and goods have also risen sharply, for many, above the increase in their income. People have been doing precisely that on this thread. I'm not, but my wife is to an extent, because she only plays one 18 hole round a week, very occasionally twice even when it's open. And our fees are up around 30% in the past couple of years so the question arises. As I say, it's no-one's fault, it's just a perfect storm.
You're right and I certainly know of a few courses around here where members are stepping down a or two category if they can, rather than 'platinum unlimited golf' they are moving to 'silver x rounds plus a green fee' or the points or flexi option as the maths suggests the value of membership versus rounds played has changed significantly. This will affect clubs overall income (as will the major loss of income in March and April from visitor/society bookings).

As you say this will accelerate the change from COVID boom to 'normal service resumed'.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, totally understand. Think clubs would start to change the 12 monthly membership to possibly a 9 month if this wet weather continues in years to come? Almost pro rota the cost. (I know this would affect the costs of the club, ground staff, clubhouse etc)

D-S

Visit site
Yes, totally understand. Think clubs would start to change the 12 monthly membership to possibly a 9 month if this wet weather continues in years to come? Almost pro rota the cost. (I know this would affect the costs of the club, ground staff, clubhouse etc)
I guess the issue is if you close the club for say December through February how much do you save? A bit on utilities and some casual labour (F&B mainly) costs. However it is difficult/impossible or unfair to employ experienced Admin and Green Staff for only 9 months. Most of your other fixed costs, rates, rent (for some courses), machinery and course supplies etc. will still be needed despite the closure.
So 9 months membership might cost (or need to be) the equivalent of 11 or 11.5 months, so given the variability of our weather is it a viable option?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played at Parkstone today as a practice for tomorrow’s scratch game. What a joy to play off grass tees and not be covered in mud afterwards. If only I lived 25 miles closer.
36 holes today at Parkstone. Boy was it windy this morning in the 4somes. Except for a couple of low spots, you would think it had never rained there during the last four months. Greens were awesome for this time of year. If you know Parkstone, they have done some amazing work on the first tee and the practice green. Lost on the last am and pm 😢

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
16 holes have been open all weekend. Carry only Saturday and carry preferred yesterday and today. In fairness the weekend winds have helped dry it out considerably but 15 and 16 will take a few weeks to fully dry and recover. Was happy to be out for 16 holes and really testing conditions added another element

Mandofred

Visit site
Able to use trolleys again today, although they are asking you to carry if you can. The course has dealt with the water as well or better than any course in the area that I know of. The grass is growing steadily faster and if we could just get 4-5 dry days that would allow the mowers to get everywhere I would think. Not playing until Wed+Thurs. Thursday is hopefully a counting senior comp.....I have a low score coming off on the next card turned in. Only 9 holes open on my old course.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Their costs are still the same so if you pay £1k now, you’ll just end up paying £1k for a 9 month membership

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
9 holes closed again today for some bizarre reason. Yes it's wet, but it was a lot wetter in the winter and it was all open albeit with some temporary greens.
Could be the build up of the water table not allowing it to dry out. Could be that wear and tear in the winter is not going to be recoverable if you play now. Trust in you green keepers 😉

PaulMdj

Visit site
Received our monthly Greenkeepers report yesterday, in it he stated that, Covid apart, our Course had been closed for 44 days due to weather in the 5 year period 01 Oct 18 - 30 Sep 23.

From O1 Oct 23 we’ve been closed for 60 days, closed again today, make it 61.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Received our monthly Greenkeepers report yesterday, in it he stated that, Covid apart, our Course had been closed for 44 days due to weather in the 5 year period 01 Oct 18 - 30 Sep 23.

From O1 Oct 23 we’ve been closed for 60 days, closed again today, make it 61.
Wow.........:oops:

Springveldt

Visit site
Unsurprisingly raining here again this morning. Course is open today but wouldn't be surprised if it's closed tomorrow again if this rain keeps up.

edit: Reading the greenskeepers report from my old course which is from yesterday.

Followed by a couple of decent days for golf we were back to what seems the norm for the previous winter, with over 50mm of rain falling from Monday to Thursday morning. This rain had a major impact on the course, with the ground and drainage system already full this led to the course being closed until Monday morning.

There is surface water everywhere on the course with nowhere for it to go.

The latest rainfall takes us to 792 mm of rainfall from the start of October last year, meaning that we’ve had over what’s considered the yearly average in just over 6 months.

Feels like it as well, just feels like it's rained every day since October. It might take a month of no rain for some courses to dry out.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Feels like it as well, just feels like it's rained every day since October. It might take a month of no rain for some courses to dry out.
We have 18 open, but I played a few holes yesterday and, despite warm, windy weather over the weekend, it feels like at least 2 weeks of proper decent sunshine is required to get the whole course (including rough) into a condition where proper golf can be played.
And no sign of that in the forecast.
From the clayfields of hertfordshire 😞

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are one of the very few courses in the region to have had 18 holes open for all but 4 or 5 days this winter though a month ago 3 & 4 were shut & a few days ago joined by closure of the 18th. With permanent buggy paths around the whole course folk can continue to play using buggies & trolleys on them, whilst most folk just carry. Yes, its a bog in many places but with our new permanent tee mats & use of fairway mats everywhere we have been able to continue play in a reasonably (considering the weather we've had) effective way.
The ability to play throughout the year is considered a big bonus by most of the members who accept that in the main season the general course condition will be inferior to other local Members Clubs which have been closed or very heavily restricted for quite huge amounts of time. It's a case of horses for courses as we certainly don't enjoy those 'manicured. touches that are expected of Members Clubs & there is a lot more 'traffic' late afternoon & evening in the Summer.