Golf Course Closed again

simsini

Visit site
…and councils need sufficient budget to keep road side and other drains and ditches cleared so that water can flow. My place is suffering flooding in part of the course due to a blocked road culvert and roadside banking causing severe back-up. Water draining and moving across the course following nature’s course has nowhere to go. Hopefully work will start to clear things in the coming weeks.
Then a couple of dry weeks and there will be a hosepipe ban! :ROFLMAO:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Just back from a swift 9....wow the ground is soft in places...
If we get puddles on fairways they're usually gone within an hour of the rain stopping...any longer and you know Noah is loading up..
There's a puddle on the 14th 8 hours after the rain stopped.....
Wet wet wet........
Did you know, Wet Wet Wet were going to be called just Wet Wet, but decided to add an extra Wet at the last minute.

No? You do now ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
…and councils need sufficient budget to keep road side and other drains and ditches cleared so that water can flow. My place is suffering flooding in part of the course due to a blocked road culvert and roadside banking causing severe back-up. Water draining and moving across the course following nature’s course has nowhere to go. Hopefully work will start to clear things in the coming weeks.
Yes it’s all connected.
It’s not rocket science.

Springveldt

Visit site
More rain overnight and course closed again today. I wasn’t planning on playing anyway due to going back up to Scotland for the weekend.

Feels like monsoon season just now but the new pond on the football field has shrunk a touch since Wednesday so it must be easing off.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have many streams draining the course into the adjacent river. But the river level is now so high it is causing the sluice gates to close. All the lakes and streams are now overflowing.
So the course is closed for the 3rd consecutive day and if the rain doesn't stop up in the Pennines we'll be closed for more days.
Fortunately the river hasn't yet come over the flood protection banks. If it did we would be under at least 2 or 3 metres.

Visit site
Finally (no hurry guys) our leaders have introduced a 'traffic light' system, starting from today. Hence we are open today but with buggies banned when I suspect we would otherwise have been closed.

Bobthesock

Visit site
First medal postponed as only 9 holes open. Tomorrow might be 18 but with a lot of winter greens.
Starting to regret rejoing all ready. Seriously considering next year joining the cheapest 9 hole course available and just playing opens

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never thought I would say a course should not be open because of the wind!

We came off after a big tree branch landed about 10ft behind us ,very scary.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Never thought I would say a course should not be open because of the wind!

We came off after a big tree branch landed about 10ft behind us ,very scary.
If it's not rain it's wind. We have a H&S policy that shuts the course if the wind gets above a certain speed.

We have some giant Poplars which have a tendency to break or fall in high winds. Like you, I was fairly close to a large branch toppling once and if it wasn't scary it definitely got you thinking about what could be.

The club have been slowly replacing them, but it is an expensive business.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played at Parkstone today as a practice for tomorrow’s scratch game. What a joy to play off grass tees and not be covered in mud afterwards. If only I lived 25 miles closer.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Played today as it was the first competition of the season and my first round of this year except for substituting at the last minute for a friend in a pairs competition in January.

No way the course should be open - just collecting pounds from desperate members of other courses in the region that have properly closed who need their fix. :(

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My local moor land course which is always open have just announced that they're closing the course for 5 days to give it a rest. Majority of courses in the area are closed so I think they've been getting all the golfers from other courses playing.

I'm not a member anymore but I'm always surprised at the fuss members are making for their courses being closed after all this rain. I understand you're not getting value for your membership but surely it's better in the long run to not play it whilst it's so wet. It's hardly stopped raining in Yorkshire for probably 5 months, give or take the odd dry days.