Golf Course Closed again

simsini

Visit site
Our course is open today carry only, and it's supposed to be a sunny 20 degrees tomorrow with 40mph winds! If the course doesn't dry out in that weather, it never will.

AussieKB

Visit site
Our courses in West Aussie are only closed when they are coring the greens except for freak weather conditions, most Members do not know how lucky they are but still grumble for these odd occasions, I'm just hoping you have a dry May for my visit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course only has the first 11 holes open today. I'm due to play tomorrow afternoon (in 40-50mph winds of course) so we'll see how many holes they have open by then.

Springveldt

Visit site
See we have been closed only about 4 days all winter, I never realised how bad it was elsewhere, next week supposed to be playing in Southampton area. Have ended up booking an indoor SIM because the courses so wet. I know we had rain but when I started seeing down there the rain they have makes ours look like a passing shower

Mad

One course said they had 40mm in rain already in April .. that's insane no?
See my post earlier in the thread for what it's been like in the North East.

Every month since October has had way over the average rainfall, usually around double. The February figure was more than double and it was only until the 15th or so. It's never really stopped raining since then either. I'd imagine March and April will be double the average rainfall as well which would mean we have had a years worth of it within 6 months.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See my post earlier in the thread for what it's been like in the North East.

Every month since October has had way over the average rainfall, usually around double. The February figure was more than double and it was only until the 15th or so. It's never really stopped raining since then either. I'd imagine March and April will be double the average rainfall as well which would mean we have had a years worth of it within 6 months.

It has made me appreciate my course even more. Down on the London / Essex border we aren't blessed with good soil (clay) but because my course is fresh built on old landfill and have invested in drainage we get better than the rest of the area

Don't get me wrong cross the bridge to Kent you will get chalk and drier courses but for 10 min drive from my house and been open so much (also been hosting many other members of clubs that are closed) I'm glad I made the decision to join in 2020

15 rounds already this year at my place

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not really the golf courses.

It’s the way the water leaves the golf course.( or not atm)
The water table is so high rivers and streams that the run off from courses go into are flooded so the water has nowhere to go.
Most courses we have dealt with lately all the ditches are still full of water .
It’s really set back maintenance on parkland ones

So a nice dry day dries the surface 1/2” and it looks ok but it’s saturated underneath, one decent shower it’s waterlogged again.

We need to sort our waterways out but that costs money!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've had 4 games arranged over the last 7 days, all were forecasted for rain, very lucky that during all 4 rounds no rain fell and it was waste of time taking spare gear and brolly

Worst I had was having to clean the ball on a couple of fairways today

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Newport closed again today, Saunton so dry underfoot it is bonkers. Viva la difference of inland v links.

Dear Donna... can we move house please? :)

My mate who "winters" in South Africa flew in this morning. He is not happy! :)
Heard from a Staunton member recently that despite everything you have had a bit of flooding on a couple of holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s not really the golf courses.

It’s the way the water leaves the golf course.( or not atm)
The water table is so high rivers and streams that the run off from courses go into are flooded so the water has nowhere to go.
Most courses we have dealt with lately all the ditches are still full of water .
It’s really set back maintenance on parkland ones

So a nice dry day dries the surface 1/2” and it looks ok but it’s saturated underneath, one decent shower it’s waterlogged again.

We need to sort our waterways out but that costs money!
…and councils need sufficient budget to keep road side and other drains and ditches cleared so that water can flow. My place is suffering flooding in part of the course due to a blocked road culvert and roadside banking causing severe back-up. Water draining and moving across the course following nature’s course has nowhere to go. Hopefully work will start to clear things in the coming weeks.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just had an email to say Course will remain closed this weekend after being shut since wednesday.

We’ve had 54mm of rain fall in 2 days with more expected overnight.

Mandofred

Visit site
2nd group out....so shouldn't have to worry much about slow play:sneaky:
I'm an early-bird anyway.
They wisely just sent out a note cancelling tomorrow....and Sunday. The course may or may not be open, but the planned events are kaput. They even started moving things that were supposed to happen over the next week or so.....for at least another week or two hoping things get a little better.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just back from a swift 9....wow the ground is soft in places...
If we get puddles on fairways they're usually gone within an hour of the rain stopping...any longer and you know Noah is loading up..
There's a puddle on the 14th 8 hours after the rain stopped.....
Wet wet wet........