Golf club(s)/set recommendations for a beginner

Newbietothegame

Visit site
Hi,

I will begin by apologising, as no doubt this question has been asked on numerous occasions.

Nonetheless, I haven’t found the advice I think I can really trust I suppose. I am really keen to get into the game and take it up. I work a lot so probably will begin with only every Saturday. Is it pointless buying one of the beginner sets I see advertised on American golf? Or do I buy secondhand individually? If so, what type ? As I don’t understand the different uses yet.

I will stick with the driving range for a while, getting the form and technique, as I have some experience from when I was younger.

Any tips or advice on what is best for a beginner would be much appreciated. I’m in the Orpington area if anyone knows any good shops also....

Thanks,
Joe

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Well, this forum is called “ask the experts”, but I’m no expert.

I am, though just a few months ahead of you on the same journey.

I bought a Wilson Deep Red Tour package set of clubs. It includes:

Driver
3 wood
5 hybrid
6-9 iron
Pitching wedge
Sand wedge
Putter
Stand bag

This is basically everything you need to hit any type of shot you might need on the course.

£399 from American Golf.

My teaching pro reckons they’ll do me for a few years, and I reckon he’s right.

They are designed for beginner/high handicap. They irons have deep cavities, thick top line and decent amount of offset.

The hybrid, wood and driver have graphite shaft, and again are optimised for forgiveness.

I’ve had absolutely no issues with them (apart from my own incompetence). The bag is good quality. I’d buy them again if I was starting again.

What I wouldn’t do - which is the usual advice - is buy something random set second hand.

Unless you really know what you’re buying... you won’t know what your buying!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d be tempted to go second hand at the moment. We’re all golf saddos on here. Why not check out Facebook and gumtree, post some links with prices and you’ll get honest views on quality and value for money. New clubs can be bought in due course.

You’ll need a driver, hybrid, 6-SW and a putter, PLENTY of balls. Get lessons if you can be bothered and are willing to do exactly what you’re told and practice hard.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
What would be very inexpensive should it show up on ebay is a set of Spalding Executive irons from the late 70s and early 80s
Very easy for a relative beginner to elevate the ball.

One would want something better with a little experience, but this is really forgiving beginner kit, and it's hard stainless so should still be quite playable.

Add a 4-wood and putter of some sort and you're good to go, at least as far as getting started.

Citizen

Visit site
I used a set of Wilson Staff D100's for a couple of years, bought blind from Golfbidder after a lot of research into what I wanted my game to be at the time of starting, they are very forgiving with the D standing for distance. My mind set was to get the ball straight and a reasonable distance for my ability as I wasn't thinking of shot shapes (still dont!) or anything fancy, more a case of getting around the course. I think they have moved on to D300 or maybe 350.

I also bought a driver and putter blind again from golfbidder and still use the putter but the driver has been updated.